Official 5th and 6th Gen Camry and 2nd Gen Solara Maintenance Thread - Page 9 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 2002-2006 & 2007-2011, as well as Solara Discussion for years 2004-2008. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 172 Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
This thread covers mounts for Gen 6 I4 models (all 2007-2009 I4 are the same):

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...or-mounts.html
I got it, thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 172 Old 04-16-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Thanked 4,429 Times in 3,156 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Added Aisin Super Long Life Coolant info.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 (Shell Right Now)
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T
2008 LS460 SWB RWD 1URFSE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
post #123 of 172 Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Added Reochem OEM Premium Extended Life Green Coolant info.

My Toyota List:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 172 Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Transmission Filter Discussion

Hello guys,

This is my first official post to this forum. However, I have been an admirer of the forum for years as many of the members/posts have gotten me through some DIYs on all 3 of the toyotas at my house.

I want to make this post about the various brands of transmission filters available for our camry's 5 speed auto (I wish manuals were available). The 5 speed in my camry is mated with the 3.3L 3MZ-FE motor for anyone wondering why I think a manual would be nice. Back to the question, though- out of all the brands that offer transmission filters for our car, which do you guys prefer and why? Also, is there any reason that anyone pays close to $50 dollars for the OEM filter from toyota versus the readily available wix, fram, atp, hastings, etc that can be had for around $20? From your experience, which transmission filter do you think is the best and why?

Hope to read some insightful answers.

Thanks for reading!
post #125 of 172 Old 06-01-2016, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaudiov6 View Post
Hello guys,

This is my first official post to this forum. However, I have been an admirer of the forum for years as many of the members/posts have gotten me through some DIYs on all 3 of the toyotas at my house.

I want to make this post about the various brands of transmission filters available for our camry's 5 speed auto (I wish manuals were available). The 5 speed in my camry is mated with the 3.3L 3MZ-FE motor for anyone wondering why I think a manual would be nice. Back to the question, though- out of all the brands that offer transmission filters for our car, which do you guys prefer and why? Also, is there any reason that anyone pays close to $50 dollars for the OEM filter from toyota versus the readily available wix, fram, atp, hastings, etc that can be had for around $20? From your experience, which transmission filter do you think is the best and why?

Hope to read some insightful answers.

Thanks for reading!
I moved your post to the maintenance thread.

As to your questions.

The OEM filter is made by Filtran. It is a very high quality filter and is basically the standard for the industry in transmission filters. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, OEM Toyota filters are Filtran.

Everyone else either reboxes the same aftermarket filter. I have used Beck Arnley, PowerTorque, Duralast, Napa, etc. for these cars and found them to be the exact same filter in a different box. So between the aftermarket, there isn't any difference. The choice is between OEM and aftermarket.

I couldn't find a difference large enough to justify ordering the OEM filter, gasket, and o-ring separately. It's worth the risk to hit Rockauto, Advance Auto, or Amazon and get a filter in 2 days that has worked fine for every vehicle I have used them on. With that said, I have lots of good experience with Beck Arnley in pretty much everything. So I tend to stick with that brand when possible.

My Toyota List:

Last edited by hardtopte72; 06-01-2016 at 05:05 AM.
post #126 of 172 Old 06-09-2016, 07:44 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is a great resource.
post #127 of 172 Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I want to add some information I have culled from recent reading into the synthetic motor oil manufacturers' claims of cleanliness.

Some of these are quoted in the OP in this thread: e.g., Pennzoil Platinum "is dubbed as one of the cleanest oils claiming to be 8% cleaner than Mobil 1, 17% cleaner than Valvoline, and 20% cleaner than Castrol." Pennzoil product literature currently claims Platinum "keeps pistons 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standard" (footnote cite says "Based on ILSAC GF-5 and Sequence IIIG piston deposit test"); for Ultra Platinum the claim is "65% cleaner"; and in its latest magazine (sent to Preferred Customer subscribers), Amsoil now claims Signature Series oil "prevents piston deposits 93 percent better than required to meet the latest API standard" (footnote cite says "Based on independent testing of Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30, in ASTM D7320 as required by API SN specification").

The current API quality grade (SN) is partitioned into two tiers--plain-jane SN and SN Resource Conserving. The requirements for SN Resource Conserving are identical to those for ILSAC GF-5. The Sequence IIIG test is required for certification under ILSAC GF-5 and some earlier versions of the ILSAC standards, including GF-4. ASTM D7320 lays out details of the test procedure, which calls for a reference engine (currently a GM 3.8 L V6) to be charged initially with 5.5 L of the oil being tested and then run for 100 hours under conditions of heavy load and high heat: 3600 RPM, oil temperature of 155 C (310 F), coolant temperature of 115 C (240 F), load of 250 N-m. Then the engine is disassembled and oil consumption, oil viscosity increase, valve train wear, and piston deposits are measured according to a standardized protocol. The results are then compared to the pass criteria for the applicable ILSAC standard.

Weighted piston deposits (WPD) are reported according to what is called a "merit" system in the literature. The possible values, which are dimensionless, range from 0 to 10 and correspond to the surface area of the piston that is clear of deposits. A sparkling clean, brand-new piston has a WPD value of 10. The higher the weighted piston deposit value, the better.

ILSAC GF-4 required a minimum WPD of 3.5. The draft version of GF-5 called for a minimum of 5.0, but in the final version this was watered down to 4.0 because the bulk dino oil refiners (who supply the iffy-lube shops) were having difficulty meeting the higher criterion.

It is my inference that the marketing claims made by Pennzoil, Amsoil, and others are based on percentages of the ILSAC GF-5 WPD pass criterion of 4.0:

Pennzoil Platinum--"40% better"--5.6
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum--"65% better"--6.6
Amsoil Signature Series--"93% better"--7.7

There are a couple of key observations to make here. First, any motor oil with wide commercial availability, no matter how good it is, will leave piston deposits under Sequence IIIG conditions. Second, these conditions are quite extreme, corresponding to about 6000 miles of hill climbing with coolant near boilover, and are hardly ever seen in an engine with good oil temperature control (such as later versions of the 1MZ-FE with VVT-i, but perhaps not the 2007-2011 2AZ-FE with the oil consumption problem).

In my reading I found a couple of additional items. First, someone on BITOG has quoted a WPD value of 5.5 for at least one member of the Mobil 1 family. (I do not know if this comes from an authoritative source or if it refers to current Mobil 1 formulations.) Second, a biosynthetics vendor (apparently trying to break into the motor oil industry) has cited a test WPD value of 8.46 for estolides in API Group III basestocks ("surpasses the piston deposit ratings of full synthetic formulations currently available in the market").
hardtopte72 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to J N Winkler For This Useful Post:
hardtopte72 (06-20-2016)
post #128 of 172 Old 07-14-2016, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Major update in Engine Oils includes:

Change Pennzoil to Pennzoil Platinum
Added Pennzoil High Mileage Line
Added Pennzoil Platinum Euro, Euro Diesel, and Racing Variants
Fixed Broken Pennzoil Platinum Product Data Sheets
Fixed Outdated Pennzoil Oil Grade Information

My Toyota List:

post #129 of 172 Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 PM
New TN User

P0776 Fail on 2005 Camry XLE

I bought this car new in early 2005. It has had a shifting problem since day one but Toyota says it is "NORMAL". It always happens when slowing to about 20 mph and then reaccelerating. The car staggers and stumbles and I have to manually shift to 3rd which seems to work perfectly. I don't know if it is stuck in 4th or won't downshift to 3rd. The car has about 160k miles and runs like a top except for this ever worsening issue. Any one with a solution can make my day with a fix. The P0776 says S2 is stuck. I also need to know if I can replace the 1 solenoid or what. I am on Social Security and have 2 handicapped people in my house so there is no money for me to get someone else to fix it.
Thanks ahead of time!!!
David
post #130 of 172 Old 11-07-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Added Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife Technology to the oil section.

My Toyota List:

post #131 of 172 Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Fluid Specification doc found while browsing another forum. Page 1 was useful.

https://attachments.priuschat.com/at...cs_2006-09.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 106494_Toyota_fluid_specs_2006-09.pdf (235.5 KB, 5 views)

2002 Avalon XL 3.0L mcx20L 1MZFE
2004 Camry LE 2.4L ATM 2AZFE ACV30L-CEPNKA 4FC
2000 Corolla CE1 4 Cyl 1.8L EFI ATM 1ZZFE ZZE110L-DEPDKA SED 4FC
post #132 of 172 Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 PM
New TN User

I am really in a bind, I desperately need the part # for the front passenger turn signal bulb socket for a 2002 Toyota Camry LE... Because I found some on Amazon.com cheap, however when I use their fit check option it tells me that it will not fit...

I found two part numbers that look exactly like the part I need one part number is 90075 - 60028, I actually ordered this one already... And the other one is 90075 - 60060, yeah I used the test fit option on both of these parts and both of them said it will not fit a 2002 Toyota Camry... So I really hope someone can help me out and provide me with the correct part number. Thank you in advance
post #133 of 172 Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
@hardtopte72 I was wondering how you feel about the new Mobil 1 Annual Protection Synthetic Oil, especially concerning older cars? It costs $49.99 at Walmarts.
post #134 of 172 Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommafrica View Post
@hardtopte72 I was wondering how you feel about the new Mobil 1 Annual Protection Synthetic Oil, especially concerning older cars? It costs $49.99 at Walmarts.
After reading this post, I set out to do research on this oil. It's very very new and sites like bobistheoilguy had no data on the oil. I went on the Mobil 1 website and watched the propaganda video. From the video, it looks to be very good oil, as most are. Lots of points are vague and of note was the fact that they specifically pointed out good cleanliness in all 3 engines, testing for all 3 engines, and that they tore down all 3 engines, but specifically only mentioned the Lexus when talking about low/no wear in the crank and bearings. They did this is in the video and text, which sort of leads me to believe the other engines showed signs of wear, considering they made the video and weren't on a set time slot.

I was really interested in the hot oil behavior they mentioned in the shaft test, where they super heat a part and spray oil on it. Any discoloration left behind was caused by the oil burning and leaving varnish or deposits. It obviously did the best in that category, which is interesting.

As for whether I would use it, I probably would. Considering I don't do 20K per year on my vehicles, don't use a filter designed for 20K, and already see excellent cleanliness in my vehicles from use of Synthetics at half the price, I'm not a good candidate for once a year oil/oil changes.

If you do a lot of extended range driving or simply lots of driving (i.e. work in sales), then it may be a good fit. I will try to add the oil to the sticky within the next few days.

My Toyota List:

The Following User Says Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
mommafrica (04-17-2017)
post #135 of 172 Old 04-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
After reading this post, I set out to do research on this oil. It's very very new and sites like bobistheoilguy had no data on the oil. I went on the Mobil 1 website and watched the propaganda video. From the video, it looks to be very good oil, as most are. Lots of points are vague and of note was the fact that they specifically pointed out good cleanliness in all 3 engines, testing for all 3 engines, and that they tore down all 3 engines, but specifically only mentioned the Lexus when talking about low/no wear in the crank and bearings. They did this is in the video and text, which sort of leads me to believe the other engines showed signs of wear, considering they made the video and weren't on a set time slot.

I was really interested in the hot oil behavior they mentioned in the shaft test, where they super heat a part and spray oil on it. Any discoloration left behind was caused by the oil burning and leaving varnish or deposits. It obviously did the best in that category, which is interesting.

As for whether I would use it, I probably would. Considering I don't do 20K per year on my vehicles, don't use a filter designed for 20K, and already see excellent cleanliness in my vehicles from use of Synthetics at half the price, I'm not a good candidate for once a year oil/oil changes.

If you do a lot of extended range driving or simply lots of driving (i.e. work in sales), then it may be a good fit. I will try to add the oil to the sticky within the next few days.
And concerning the filter, I went to Walmart's to get a filter for my daughter's '02 Kia Rio and the only Mobil 1 filters there were the above new filters. I'm wondering if these filters could be worthy of going through several oil changes via the oil that you currently use. In other words, you can change your oil at least 2 times in six months w/ the same filter.
And its the Mobil 1 site where I 1st seen this (looking for my daughters filter and oil). I always try to do as much of my homework as possible before coming to you experts.

Last edited by mommafrica; 04-17-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008)