2020 Highlander Revealed - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 4th Generation (2020+) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 4th generation Toyota Highlanders.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 128 Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark888 View Post
There "might be" some theoretical benefits going more than 8 speeds, but the gains start diminishing rapidly. When they add more gears, they have to make each gear smaller and lighter (which can cause reliability problems), or else the transmission gets heavier (which reduces fuel mileage).
Yes. That is the point. ZF stated that moving to 10 speed would gain 1-2% gain. But, as you stated that brings slew of other issues, smaller gears. What is going to be reliability of that transmission hooked up on BMW 3.0 quad turbo with truck like torque? Or M5, or Hellcat etc. It easier to squeeze out mpg from other sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 128 Old 06-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I'm just happy that Toyota is moving away from the "whale mouth" grill look. Never liked the front end of the refreshed 3rd Gen, so maybe in a few years I will replace my 2013.
John1224 and TableRocked like this.

2016 FWD Sienna LE
2013 AWD Highlander Plus with OEM hitch & 7 pin
Cruiser Fun Finder X-189FBR
post #108 of 128 Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
CVTs or what may eventually be 16 speed automatic transmissions looking for gears, pick your poison!
No CVTa nor 4 cyl for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 128 Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM
TableRocked

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
I'm pretty crushed.

The whole softer look doesn't do it for me. It looks like the 2014 Highlander but even more dated. The 2017 Highlander refresh looks better. I honestly struggle not to think it's the pre-refresh 3rd Gen Highlander on first glance. The LEDs don't even look great. The Chrysler wing logo on the front grill is so bland.

The interior is not an improvement at all, reusing half the pieces and tacking on a bunch of stuff that just makes it look overally busy. The added length has only upped the behind 3rd row space from high 13's to mid 16's in cubic feet. The competitors including the Palisade / Telluride are 18+ and you go really big like a Traverse and you get 21+. It's still too small and of course the price will go up. They even took out the rear opening hatch window.

Looks like my next family hauler is likely going to be a high-trim Hyundai Palisade. :-(
I do agree with you, the Palisade looks so much better, and I suspect, is available with many more Lexus-like features we won't be able to get on the 2020 HiHy. If only I wasn't so convinced the Hyundai/Kia is a 100k vehicle at best before one starts to worry about expensive and multiple issues start to go wrong.

I've moved my cash over into a 2021 Sienna Hybrid Limited Platinum package vehicle fund, hoping it comes with lots of new features (like the Odyssey Elite).
post #110 of 128 Old 06-11-2019, 12:55 PM
TableRocked

Subaru's downfall has been its transmission, especially the CVT, after 150k miles and its dated boxer engine design - lots of expensive gasket issues after 150k - 4wd system is bullet proof for sure.

I can't believe you can only get the java brown interior on the touring model, unless my website login is messed up.
post #111 of 128 Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM
TableRocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeed View Post
I agree. For people who only cares about a car taking them from point A to point B will not care as long it gets them there but for those who cares, a traditional transmission will last longer than CVT.

CVTs have too many moving parts and it's pretty lazy. This is from experience on driving/owning several CVT cars.
ASIN CVT's are the only ones I'd have in a vehicle. Subaru, Nissan, and even Honda CVT's according to mechanic friends of mine, are not very reliable at all with Nissan being, by far, the absolute worst, Honda's next worst, and Subaru's CVT being a 150k transmission at best - with very religious fluid changes. Oil leaks on the boxer engine become a larger concerns around the 150k mileage as well - so as long as you don't expect it to last like a Toyota, 300k miles, without major investment into repairs, you should get the Subaru.
xpeed likes this.
post #112 of 128 Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 PM
TableRocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeed View Post
I don't think the head unit can be swapped. It's one of those "tablet" designs now. No more in-dash units.

I'm liking my 2018 more and more now. I don't be selling my HL any time soon but I am curious now on how the next gen Sienna will look. Wife wants to change to a minivan next year once her Rav4 lease is up and if Toyota redesign of the Sienna is somewhat livable, it will be high on our list. I really don't like the pig nose grille on the current model right now.
I'm waiting for the 2021 Sienna as well - hopefully hybrid - hopefully the limited platinum package will have, at least, the long list of toys as the Odyssey Elite minivan.
xpeed likes this.
post #113 of 128 Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still no integrated trailer hitch. Sure, let's continue to put on an aftermarket trailer hitch and cheapen the looks of the vehicle. Toyota has no problem installing an integrated trailer hitch for their cheaper Tacoma or their more expensive Sequoia. Unbelievable.
post #114 of 128 Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TableRocked View Post
I'm waiting for the 2021 Sienna as well - hopefully hybrid - hopefully the limited platinum package will have, at least, the long list of toys as the Odyssey Elite minivan.
Hopefully they put decent lights on it too.
post #115 of 128 Old 06-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TableRocked View Post
ASIN CVT's are the only ones I'd have in a vehicle. Subaru, Nissan, and even Honda CVT's according to mechanic friends of mine, are not very reliable at all with Nissan being, by far, the absolute worst, Honda's next worst, and Subaru's CVT being a 150k transmission at best - with very religious fluid changes. Oil leaks on the boxer engine become a larger concerns around the 150k mileage as well - so as long as you don't expect it to last like a Toyota, 300k miles, without major investment into repairs, you should get the Subaru.
Lately Aisin has a lot of misses, and only thing that works for Aisin CVT is that Toyota is staying away from turbo engines, as Toyota and complexity does not ix very well. I would not be confident at that Subaru CVT in 2.4 T engine as low end torque might seriously compromise that CVT.
Best CVT on the market currently is Audi's multitronic developed by LuK. An they had a lot of growing pain in Europe as they offered them as an option on turbo diesel engines. But high torque output created a lot of issues. They sorted out all those growing pains since 1999, but now Audi's multitronic is extremely complex, and much more complex than anything in Toyota, Nissan etc. Which tells that in order to solve high torque outpute problems one needs to venture into over-engineered CVT territory, and that hikes up price, which in Audi is fine, but who will pay that in Subaru or Toyota RAV4? I think this CVT nonsense is ridiculous with current automatic transmission technology which is far more simpler and more reliable. But anything for that 1mpg.
post #116 of 128 Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
I'm pretty crushed.

The whole softer look doesn't do it for me. It looks like the 2014 Highlander but even more dated. The 2017 Highlander refresh looks better. I honestly struggle not to think it's the pre-refresh 3rd Gen Highlander on first glance. The LEDs don't even look great. The Chrysler wing logo on the front grill is so bland.

The interior is not an improvement at all, reusing half the pieces and tacking on a bunch of stuff that just makes it look overally busy. The added length has only upped the behind 3rd row space from high 13's to mid 16's in cubic feet. The competitors including the Palisade / Telluride are 18+ and you go really big like a Traverse and you get 21+. It's still too small and of course the price will go up. They even took out the rear opening hatch window.

Looks like my next family hauler is likely going to be a high-trim Hyundai Palisade. :-(
I test drove the new Palisade and like it a lot but I still donít trust the long-term reliability of the Korean brands. They are better and getting better but Iím not convinced they are yet at Toyotaís level.
post #117 of 128 Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTurkey View Post
This December release date is really annoying. I need to purchase this summer and Iíd love to have a reason to wait on the Highlander. If not, Iíll likely go with an Ascent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have been a great deal of time researching the Ascent and took a test driveóBy the way, the new 2020s are now available. However, I like the looks of the new HL better and more importantly, after reading the Ascent forums, Iím concerned about the QC issues on the Ascent as well as the 4 cylinder and CVT. I keep my vehicles a long time and Iím struggling if I should trust the Subaru. Iíve never owned one, which makes this harder.
post #118 of 128 Old 07-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmosbacker View Post
I have been a great deal of time researching the Ascent and took a test driveóBy the way, the new 2020s are now available. However, I like the looks of the new HL better and more importantly, after reading the Ascent forums, Iím concerned about the QC issues on the Ascent as well as the 4 cylinder and CVT. I keep my vehicles a long time and Iím struggling if I should trust the Subaru. Iíve never owned one, which makes this harder.
4 cyl is not an issue. Not sure why people think 4cyl will last any shorter than 6cyl? Subaru had some issues around 4cyl turbo engines, but that was unique to them, not the fact that it was 4cyl and turbo. They resolved that.
However, CVT is concern to me due to high low-end torque in turbo engines. ANd Subaru is hell bent on pushing CVT, regardless that it is POS to drive.
post #119 of 128 Old 07-13-2019, 06:32 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmosbacker View Post
I test drove the new Palisade and like it a lot but I still donít trust the long-term reliability of the Korean brands. They are better and getting better but Iím not convinced they are yet at Toyotaís level.
I used to believe Toyota quality is the benchmark but not anymore, I am the an owner of the 2019 Platinum HL that has/had the navigation issue.
My amp has been replaced but it was a real pain to get it done (5 months of fighting and waiting).
Toyota is still selling brand new Platinum models with the bad amp in them...that is inexcusable from my perspective.
You know the model has a problem and you continue to install the bad amp on new builds, think about that for a moment.
And to be clear the problem is not a hit or miss scenario ALL Platinum HL have the bad amp in them, is not a random "defective" so to speak thing the amp is a new design that never should have been put on in the first place.

I purchased my 2019 knowing a new gen was coming in 2020, I bought it assuming all the bugs have been worked out as I when I purchased my last year of production 2nd gen 2013 HL Limited (fantastic vehicle my daughter drives it now, no issues).
I have owned many Toyota's and a Lexus GX460 loved them all; but the way Toyota handled the issue with the 2019 HL has left a bad taste in my mouth.
We also own a 2017 Hyundai Accent (another daughter) and it drives well with no issues, this is our first Hyundai and we are impressed with it overall.
The Korean brands have studied the Toyota playbook...the Telluride and Paliside are top notch period.
Parked my 2019 right next to a Telluride recently and checked it out hard side by side would I trade my HL just based on appearances...yes, but to be fair I have not driven one yet.

All that having been said I am seriously considering a Telluride or Paliside in top trim as well.
I am going to wait until the new HL comes out this fall and evaluate, all I can say is the new Highlander had better bring it in areas we cannot see at this time because so far the Palisade and Telluride look better and offer much more value then the 2019 (and possibly2020) Highlander.
post #120 of 128 Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balooo2 View Post
I used to believe Toyota quality is the benchmark but not anymore, I am the an owner of the 2019 Platinum HL that has/had the navigation issue.
My amp has been replaced but it was a real pain to get it done (5 months of fighting and waiting).
Toyota is still selling brand new Platinum models with the bad amp in them...that is inexcusable from my perspective.
You know the model has a problem and you continue to install the bad amp on new builds, think about that for a moment.
And to be clear the problem is not a hit or miss scenario ALL Platinum HL have the bad amp in them, is not a random "defective" so to speak thing the amp is a new design that never should have been put on in the first place.

I purchased my 2019 knowing a new gen was coming in 2020, I bought it assuming all the bugs have been worked out as I when I purchased my last year of production 2nd gen 2013 HL Limited (fantastic vehicle my daughter drives it now, no issues).
I have owned many Toyota's and a Lexus GX460 loved them all; but the way Toyota handled the issue with the 2019 HL has left a bad taste in my mouth.
We also own a 2017 Hyundai Accent (another daughter) and it drives well with no issues, this is our first Hyundai and we are impressed with it overall.
The Korean brands have studied the Toyota playbook...the Telluride and Paliside are top notch period.
Parked my 2019 right next to a Telluride recently and checked it out hard side by side would I trade my HL just based on appearances...yes, but to be fair I have not driven one yet.

All that having been said I am seriously considering a Telluride or Paliside in top trim as well.
I am going to wait until the new HL comes out this fall and evaluate, all I can say is the new Highlander had better bring it in areas we cannot see at this time because so far the Palisade and Telluride look better and offer much more value then the 2019 (and possibly2020) Highlander.
Thanks for the helpful response! Looks like we are in the same boat. Iím also seriously considering the Subaru Ascent and 2020 Outback. This decision is harder than it should be. :-) If I didnít keep my vehicles for so long I would not be concerned but I keep them a long time so long-term reliability is important. :-) Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 4th Generation (2020+)