Hybrid battery replacement - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 198 Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hey, hey, look who's back! Good reading your voice, OJ!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 198 Old 01-20-2016, 11:21 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hybrid battery replacement

Ok guys, I know this has been covered somewhere in the forum, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it. I need general DIY info on replacing bad cells/blocks in my hybrid battery.
More specifically, I need to know if my measured voltages are an issue. 32 of the 34 cells measure 8.3v. The remaining 2 cells measure 7.1v each. I assume these cells need replaced or at least reconditioned. Any opinions?
Also, if I do purchase replacement cells, is there a process I should follow for charging or reconditioning before putting everything back together?
Anything you can offer is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by ukrkoz; 10-28-2017 at 08:58 AM.
post #138 of 198 Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426pilot View Post
Ok guys, I know this has been covered somewhere in the forum, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it. I need general DIY info on replacing bad cells/blocks in my hybrid battery.
More specifically, I need to know if my measured voltages are an issue. 32 of the 34 cells measure 8.3v. The remaining 2 cells measure 7.1v each. I assume these cells need replaced or at least reconditioned. Any opinions?
Also, if I do purchase replacement cells, is there a process I should follow for charging or reconditioning before putting everything back together?
Anything you can offer is appreciated.
Thanks
It could just be corrosion. 2 links that might help you. 1st one is pics, 2nd is a video on removal:

http://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp/

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 198 Old 01-20-2016, 12:38 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What year is your car.....................
post #140 of 198 Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM
New TN User

post #141 of 198 Old 01-20-2016, 01:04 PM
New TN User

I definitely have a little corrosion, but the 2 cells with 7.1v concern me.
post #142 of 198 Old 02-23-2016, 12:40 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Supreme Member
How are you measuring the voltage? Are you just reading what the software says or are you physically measuring them with a meter? If you are reading the software, what condition (Ready on, ignition only)? I'm guessing you are physically measuring them yourself since the software looks at blocks.... I have replaced cells in at least a dozen Toyotas, Prius and Camrys. In every case, the good cells were all within tenths of volts of each other (.1V or .2V difference). Anything over about .5V difference when loaded indicated a possible problem. You are saying there is over a Volt difference. I would definitely recommend replacing the two low ones.

In my experience, if they don't hold voltage, they're done. Before I put some in that have been sitting around, I top up the charge to get them close to what the other cells read. The system will do it, but I worry less if I do it first. I am sure there are all kinds of ways you should charge them properly... but I have never had a problem by just hooking up a 12V trickle charger and leaving it on for 20 or 30 minutes at about a 2A rate until the voltage comes up. My charger (an automatic Black and Decker from Lowes) has a function to tests the voltage. I just run the charger for a bit, switch it off and test the voltage until it is where I want it, usually about 8 volts. As I said, never had a problem. The cells charge really fast, so don't leave them alone. Oh, yeah, and they swell when charged so I always put them in a vise with wood blocks on both sides to keep them in line. Don't know if it matters, but I do it anyway.

I have heard of companies that "refurbish" the cells. I have no idea how they do it or if it's bogus. Again, if the voltage drops too low, I put cells in. Sometimes they'll last for years, sometimes not so much, but I have never had a cell that I replaced fail...it's always the other ones.

You can clean the copper connectors up to drop the resistance, but lately I have seen the sensor wires break in some Camrys... I don't know why. The entire connector with the sensor harness down that side is only about $40 and well worth the investment. I've got one on order right now. In my opinion and experience, to really do it "right," replace the low cells, carefully clean all the ends of the cells, replace all the connector assemblies and replace all the nuts. Yep, the nuts. They are about $1 apiece and they do corrode. All of that will be around $200 plus the cells. All your connections are then new, and the battery should last for years!

Good luck!

Last edited by Protech; 02-24-2016 at 09:15 PM.
post #143 of 198 Old 04-17-2016, 05:08 PM
New TN User

(Fixed) Replaced cells in hybrid battery, now wont start.

Its now throwing :
P0AE6 Hybrid Battery Precharge Contractor Control Circuit Low
P3105 Battery ECU Communication Circuit Malfunction

There were two cells that were much lower than the rest (6.2ish compared to 8) that I replaced.

Is there anyone who has done cell replacement that could give me a hand? Also after hours of searching I found almost zero info/videos on what to do once you get the actual battery out, and what you should be testing for before you put everything back together.

Last edited by LtDan; 04-24-2016 at 03:22 PM.
post #144 of 198 Old 04-19-2016, 05:10 PM
New TN User

So I goofed and forgot to hook up something, but after I did now I'm getting the P0AFA code indicating "Hybrid Battery System Voltage Low". I checked the voltage and am trying to determine what readings I should be getting
post #145 of 198 Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I tried asking google and found this info which also came from toyotanation:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/62...n-battery.html
post #146 of 198 Old 04-21-2016, 10:06 AM
New TN User

Thanks for the link, that is actually what I forgot to do before my second post. I really thought I had it when I found that! But now it has the issue per the second post with P0AFA.
post #147 of 198 Old 04-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
Thanks for the link, that is actually what I forgot to do before my second post. I really thought I had it when I found that! But now it has the issue per the second post with P0AFA.
So, you had the disconnect in the wrong position when you tried to start it before? Assuming you disconnected 12v batt. and did all this over again, with the same result.

Let us know the outcome!

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #148 of 198 Old 04-24-2016, 03:21 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookwhaler View Post
So, you had the disconnect in the wrong position when you tried to start it before? Assuming you disconnected 12v batt. and did all this over again, with the same result.

Let us know the outcome!
Correct. I had everything as it should be and then got the low voltage error.... which is now fixed!

I opened everything back up and I had not tightened the bolt that connects one of the cells, so it wasn't getting a solid connection. After that it worked as it should!

Thanks everyone for the responses
post #149 of 198 Old 01-15-2017, 05:09 PM
New TN User

Hybrid battery maintenance

Just wondered if anyone here has used a prolong battery reconditioning unit. I have a 2008 with almost 150,000 miles on it and I'm starting to worry about battery replacement. You can buy these reconditioning units on Amazon for $460 so if this would prolong my battery life substantially it would be well worth the money. They also say it's better to do this before your battery has failed.
post #150 of 198 Old 01-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
This package is ideal for people who have already degraded hybrid batteries, or batteries that are showing a fault (DTC) code.

At least maybe wait till they release the new discharge unit, instead of that piece of 2x4?
Also, you know it's 2 hr install time? Plus sitting there watching it while it works?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid