Hybrid battery replacement - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 198 Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ron, I apologize for my delay in responding. I've been chasing around Nitro-burning Camrys for the past few weeks and I'm trying to catch up with work, while I'm waiting to check my bag at the airport. Even though the OEM battery may not be vented, we cannot recommend installing any lead-acid battery in a trunk without proper venting provisions. The D34M BlueTop does have additional threaded top posts for marine applications, but the D34 YellowTop comes with a three-year, free replacement warranty, versus two years for the BlueTop. Internally, the batteries are identical.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
The Following User Says Thank You to OptimaJim For This Useful Post:
Ron AKA (07-29-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 198 Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Ron, I apologize for my delay in responding. I've been chasing around Nitro-burning Camrys for the past few weeks and I'm trying to catch up with work, while I'm waiting to check my bag at the airport. Even though the OEM battery may not be vented, we cannot recommend installing any lead-acid battery in a trunk without proper venting provisions. The D34M BlueTop does have additional threaded top posts for marine applications, but the D34 YellowTop comes with a three-year, free replacement warranty, versus two years for the BlueTop. Internally, the batteries are identical.
Thanks for the additional information. The dilemma this leave a Camry owner in, is what to do with the vent on the battery. I have had a number of motorcycles with vented batteries and you just connect the new battery up to the old vent. In the case of the Camry, or at least the one I have, there is no vent to connect to.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #33 of 198 Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Official TN Member

I'm confused. So the Optima batteries will not work in the Camry? Are we stuck with OEM batteries only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 198 Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotdown View Post
I'm confused. So the Optima batteries will not work in the Camry? Are we stuck with OEM batteries only?
Issue is that they will present an increased H2 explosion risk due to a lack of venting provision in stock battery location. Enclosing the battery in a vented container or otherwise venting the area would mitigate that risk. Same risk will exist with any other battery that vents the H2 gas. Panasonic OEM battery is purpose-built to eliminate the need for external venting of H2 gases.

Not that the risk is all that high - but a combination of overcharge and lack of venting could be a real blast.
post #35 of 198 Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo65 View Post
Issue is that they will present an increased H2 explosion risk due to a lack of venting provision in stock battery location. Enclosing the battery in a vented container or otherwise venting the area would mitigate that risk. Same risk will exist with any other battery that vents the H2 gas. Panasonic OEM battery is purpose-built to eliminate the need for external venting of H2 gases.

Not that the risk is all that high - but a combination of overcharge and lack of venting could be a real blast.
The issue is that Toyota is not using any special technology, and they are probably using the same AGM construction that Optima uses. They may be using a GEL type, but it has the same issues or worse. I suspect Toyota has concluded that the risk is low enough that a vent is no longer needed. They do however warn against overcharging. These batteries are designed to absorb the hydrogen and oxygen instead of venting it. However at some point if they are charged too fast, then they can't absorb it fast enough and they do vent.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #36 of 198 Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
New TN User

shotdown, our batteries may work in a Camry, but because of the remote possibility that toxic and flammable gas could vent into an enclosed area during an overcharging situation, we cannot recommend installing any battery in such an area without proper venting provisions to the outside air. The Panasonic OEM battery may also minimize this risk, but all lead-acid batteries, even “sealed” batteries, can vent gas in extreme situations.

Toyota may be using AGM technology, but they may be using recycled lead, versus our pure lead, connect their cells with welded tabs, versus our cast straps, etc...

Jim McIlvaine
www.twitter.com/optimabatteries
post #37 of 198 Old 08-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Official TN Member

Thanks for the clarification.
post #38 of 198 Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
shotdown, our batteries may work in a Camry, but because of the remote possibility that toxic and flammable gas could vent into an enclosed area during an overcharging situation, we cannot recommend installing any battery in such an area without proper venting provisions to the outside air. The Panasonic OEM battery may also minimize this risk, but all lead-acid batteries, even “sealed” batteries, can vent gas in extreme situations.

Toyota may be using AGM technology, but they may be using recycled lead, versus our pure lead, connect their cells with welded tabs, versus our cast straps, etc...

Jim McIlvaine
www.twitter.com/optimabatteries
I have to comment, even if OT, but my first car, going back to 1966, was a 1960 VW Beetle. The battery was under the rear seat, I it was 6 VDC, and I used a DC generator to charge the battery. Don't remember any special venting used on the car.

Last edited by brianric; 08-09-2012 at 06:32 AM.
post #39 of 198 Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I have to comment, even if OT, but my first car, going back to 1966, was a 1960 VW Beetle. The battery was under the rear seat, I it was 6 VDC, and I used a DC generator to charge the battery. Don't remember any special venting used on the car.
Ok, so were there ANY safety features in that car?
post #40 of 198 Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC1234 View Post
Ok, so were there ANY safety features in that car?
Safety glass.
post #41 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 AM
New TN User

Braille or NRG Cell battery

In an attempt to save some weight on my 2012 Camry Hybrid, I am considering taking out the Panasonic battery in the trunk and putting in a Braille (15 pound) or NRG Cell (14.5) pound battery. Has anyone done this?
post #42 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 AM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
It could probably be done but such a small weight reduction will net you nothing in return. I'd leave it alone.

03 Camry - 09 XB - 07 GMC Sierra - 14 Accord Sport
post #43 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barimavox View Post
In an attempt to save some weight on my 2012 Camry Hybrid, I am considering taking out the Panasonic battery in the trunk and putting in a Braille (15 pound) or NRG Cell (14.5) pound battery. Has anyone done this?
A while back I was filling my tank to half way to save about 50 pounds of weight. I really could not tell that much difference in improved mpg.

After I started filling the tank full, I realized it took me 4 weeks to get back to empty. So that's two weeks driving on a half tank down to empty. (50 lb less) So the half fill tank only caused me more trips to the station for gas.

The 200+ pounds that toyota shaved off the '12 TCH is a all time thing that will help your overall mpg over the earlier model Camry.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 12-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.
post #44 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barimavox View Post
There are a few things to consider.

The OEM battery is rated at about 50 amp hours and is non vented because it is located in a trunk. The 2012 has no vent connections if you try to replace it with a battery that has a vent connection. The Toyota battery apparently costs about $400 to replace, so you may want to consider that before throwing it away.

The TCH has no need for any 12 volt cranking amp rating. The 245 Volt battery cranks the engine. The 12 volt really only provides control power and buffer capacity. The biggest load on it is when the headlights are on delayed off. But, in more practical terms the Smart Key system in the car is powered on all the time and presents a low but constant drain. This means you need a larger capacity battery or it may go flat if you leave it parked for a long period of time - months not days. At the end of the day the capacity of the battery will determine how long you can park it. If you go down to a 10 amp-hour battery, you many only be good for a couple of weeks or so. See the other thread at the forum with the "TCH Storage" title, for more information.

What I would like to see Toyota do is go to a vented deep cycle battery and squeeze it in under the hood somewhere. It would be cheaper and make more room in the trunk. Under the hood you do not have to worry about venting. This car should not need a $400 12 volt battery. With the proper design a $50-75 one would be just fine.

This all said, an AGM type battery is a good replacement for the original. It could be much cheaper than getting one from Toyota. But, I would go for one that has at least 30 amp hours.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid

Last edited by Ron AKA; 12-01-2012 at 02:32 PM.
post #45 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
There are a few things to consider.

The OEM battery is rated at about 50 amp hours and is non vented because it is located in a trunk. The 2012 has no vent connections if you try to replace it with a battery that has a vent connection. The Toyota battery apparently costs about $400 to replace, so you may want to consider that before throwing it away.

The TCH has no need for any 12 volt cranking amp rating. The 245 Volt battery cranks the engine. The 12 volt really only provides control power and buffer capacity. The biggest load on it is when the headlights are on delayed off. But, in more practical terms the Smart Key system in the car is powered on all the time and presents a low but constant drain. This means you need a larger capacity battery or it may go flat if you leave it parked for a long period of time - months not days. At the end of the day the capacity of the battery will determine how long you can park it. If you go down to a 10 amp-hour battery, you many only be good for a couple of weeks or so. See the other thread at the forum with the "TCH Storage" title, for more information.

What I would like to see Toyota do is go to a vented deep cycle battery and squeeze it in under the hood somewhere. It would be cheaper and make more room in the trunk. Under the hood you do not have to worry about venting. This car should not need a $400 12 volt battery. With the proper design a $50-75 one would be just fine.

This all said, an AGM type battery is a good replacement for the original. It could be much cheaper than getting one from Toyota. But, I would go for one that has at least 30 amp hours.
My 2010 FFH used an under the hood water re-fillable battery with, IIRC, about 320 CCA. It cost about $85-$100.

'13 Avalon XLE Hybrid

Last edited by TAH Owner; 12-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid