Hybrid battery replacement - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
if you really want to lighten her up, pull rear seats out. Looking at about 140 or so pounds. Which I, actually, had done in my CR-V, also landing with huge cargo area. Yes, I do know the difference between the two cars types.
Someone considered filling tires with helium.
Like Zembonez already said - what you will accomplish is miniscule weight reduction, that will save so little, that cost of this will not be recovered in years.
Better look into hypermiling driving techniques, THAT will save you some mpg for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Someone considered filling tires with helium.
To help you float up the hills.
post #48 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now if I could get down to my weight when I graduated high school or OCS. Boy howdy, my mileage would go up.

We buy a car every nine years.
The problem is they don't quit working.
94 Camry, 03 Camry, 2012 Camry Hybrid - all in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM
New TN User

Thanks for the responses everyone. I weighed the battery today. It only weighs 35.2 pounds! 15 less than expected!
post #50 of 198 Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
To help you float up the hills.
Besides, mass of a vehicle does not change, and initial force to overcome it stays same. For helium filled tires. Only reduces tires footprint weight. But I had to mention it. People have ideas.

post #51 of 198 Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barimavox View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I weighed the battery today. It only weighs 35.2 pounds! 15 less than expected!
Why would you dissasemble a working car that's under warranty to weigh a battery???

"If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"

post #52 of 198 Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
New TN User

hybrid 2009 battery keeps dying

I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid. 2 months ago my son left the back dome light on and the car died. Since then, I have had AAA jump it 8 times. Toyota said the battery was still good and hooked it up to charge for an hour. I noticed this evening my doors are all closed tight and the car is locked and every 20 seconds or so the front dome light comes on...then slowly goes off...and keeps repeating itself. Does anybody know what this means.....do I need a new battery (toyota said it will be $370) or does it need to be charged more? or maybe the car hasa electrical issues?

thank you
post #53 of 198 Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Account canceled due to butthurt

I would say you have electrical issues. The front dome light should not be coming on and off all the time.
post #54 of 198 Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The first step to check your 12 volt battery is to measure the voltage 20 minutes after you stop your car, and again after it has sat overnight. You should also check the voltage when the car is turned on and in Ready mode. Your manual should have some information on what to expect for voltage 20 minutes after you turn it off. For your reference I got the following voltages on a new vehicle:

Overnight - 12.92 volts
2 Weeks sitting - 12.53 volts
On - Ready - 14.63 volts
Seconds after turning off - 13.23 volts
After 20 minutes - 12.93 volts

There is a battery state of charge chart near the bottom of the page at this link that may be of some help.

That said, the interior light coming on every 20 seconds is not normal. It could possibly be an indicator your battery voltage is low and the low voltage is making the control system do odd things. Your voltage tests will tell you that. Or it could be that there is something wrong in the electrical control system and the light coming on is what is draining your battery.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #55 of 198 Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Why don't you simply turn the dome light off? Or, even pull the bulb out?

post #56 of 198 Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Venzoid

To the OP: can you change the thread to "12V battery keeps dying"?

It is mis-leading when you say "hybrid battery".

post #57 of 198 Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
New TN User

The hybrid auxiliary batteries are NOT good at holding charge after a deep cycle like a dead battery caused by a dome lamp left on (if it had just been sitting for 2-3 weeks, that'd be a different story)

You can, however, get a replacement battery from advance/auto zone/etc for ~$125ish if I remember right, it'll get you through several more years, and they have pro rated warranties if it ever happens again

for $120, it's worth a try - AAA only has a limited number of times they come to help you, don't they?
post #58 of 198 Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
There are two issues to consider if you replace the factory 12 volt battery in a TCH. They are both related to the fact this battery is located in a non vented trunk, instead of under the hood like a conventional battery. You have to be concerned about hydrogen and oxygen gas being produced as the battery is charged and discharged. It could form an explosive mixture in the trunk, although that would be a very low probability.

However for that reason Toyota uses a special AGM type battery that produces very little to no gas, and has a vent tube that connects to the top back of the battery.

The only non OEM battery that I know about which is AGM and has the vent fitting is the OPTIMA® YELLOWTOP® DS46B24R. It unfortunately is made for the Prius and is only 38 Amp-hours in capacity compared to the Camry original of about 52 Amp-hours. So while it will work, it will not provide as long a reserve if you leave the vehicle sitting for weeks at a time.

If you are willing to give up the vent connection and go with a totally sealed battery, there there is the OPTIMA Batteries 8012-021 D34 Yellowtop, and the OPTIMA Batteries 8016-103 D34M BLUETOP. An Optima rep on another forum confirmed these are in fact identical in internal construction and performance. The only difference is that the Yellowtop has a better warranty, and the Bluetop has additional threaded connectors that would allow you to connect the new battery before you disconnect the old. This avoids the power down and resulting potential issues you may have when you change the battery. Both batteries are 55 Amp-hour and provide equivalent or a bit better capacity than the OEM.

Keep in mind that these AGM batteries including the Toyota OEM are damaged by excessive charging current. That may have been what has caused your problem, when it was recharged. Toyota says 5 amps is the maximum. Many commercial charges produce a lot more unless they are limited.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #59 of 198 Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Luckily there are several options for replacement, such as the Exide Edge, from Sears, ODYSSEY has one from West Coast Battery, and as mentioned the Red top Optima.
post #60 of 198 Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh3987 View Post
I noticed this evening my doors are all closed tight and the car is locked and every 20 seconds or so the front dome light comes on...then slowly goes off...and keeps repeating itself. Does anybody know what this means
If the car is locked and a key fob is detected, the interior lights will illuminate. When this happens, are you near the car with a fob in your pocket, or is there a key fob located in the vicinity of the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid