Hybrid battery replacement - Page 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I had a standard battery fail on an '05 Corolla with 36,200 mies on it. Car was 2.5 years old. Took the car to a Toyota dealer who said sorry, car is out of warranty and proceeded to charged me full price for the new battery. A call to customer relations at Toyota yielded better results. They reimbursed me for the full price of the battery and service.
Move paid off for Toyota - last year I replaced that Corolla with a new TCH XLE with all the trimmings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
1. ARE YOU IN CAFE STATE AND WAS YOUR CAR ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IN IT AND LICENSED THERE? As then you have 150 000 miles warranty of all hybrid components.
2. Those batteries do not just die. They are a pack of batteries and "a" battery usually goes bad. That is said to be easily diagnosed and a bad sub-battery in pack can be easily replaced. Your dealer is doing lousy job and pulling for a quicky on you. Simply look at that battery as a bunch of AA ones. You do not really replace entire battery if say 2 of those AAs are bad, right, mate?

post #78 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
you mean CARB states?

It's wishful thinking that a dealer will just replace 1 cell or more for the HV battery. They'd rather slap in a new unit rather than spend all the labor figuring out what cell is bad. Fixing the bad cell is what re-manufacturers do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 PM
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Another common problem is the bus bars that connect one battery to the next get corroded. All you need is one half of the bus bar to be corroded to cause voltage drop, since these are wired in series. As ukrkos said, individual batteries can be replaced. There are companies I read about in trade magazines like Motor Age and Motor that spotlight companies that repair/rebuild hybrid batteries, and they end up coming back to you better than new since some improvements have been made. Each individual battery is tested and replaced if needed. New bus bars are installed too.

I am no expert on hybrid vehicles. I know what I have read. Other than replacing an electric water pump on a Prius, the only work I have ever done to a hybrid has been routine maintenance.

Mine : 2009 Avalon XL Magnetic Gray Metallic
Hers : 2010 RAV4 Base 2.5 AWD Pacific Blue Metallic

If I have helped, please hit the thanks button.

Last edited by FixItt; 12-07-2013 at 08:00 PM.
post #80 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Kenundrum

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your comments and replies. Here are some more details......

The high voltage battery died, not the 12V.

Before I brought it in to the dealer I read following codes 'POA80: Replace Hybrid Battery Pack' , 'C1259: ABS Hybrid System Control System Regenerative Malfunction' and 'C1320: Hybrid System Malfunction'.

Russel Toyota reported the POA80 code only. They gave no other details.

I am in Maryland, and Toyota stated the warranty was good to 100K miles only, not 150K.
post #81 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 PM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
You could probably try other Toyota dealership and talk to them about the warranty issue, it seems that extra 2.5k might be ok for them to consider. Did it just show the problem suddenly without any warning? such as not showing 7 bars all the time or inconsistent charging status.
post #82 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya View Post
you mean CARB states?

It's wishful thinking that a dealer will just replace 1 cell or more for the HV battery. They'd rather slap in a new unit rather than spend all the labor figuring out what cell is bad. Fixing the bad cell is what re-manufacturers do.
Yes, you right. So many darn acronyms around, keep confusing them. Thank you.

post #83 of 198 Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knsegal View Post

I am in Maryland, and Toyota stated the warranty was good to 100K miles only, not 150K.

Yep, no luck there:

Connecticut
Oregon
Washington
Rhode Island
New York
Maine
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
New Mexico
Florida

http://redgreenandblue.org/2009/04/0...-a-good-thing/

I still don't get, why you so easily succumb to what they tell you, instead of making them locate bad cells in that battery - and yes, we get it, it's traction battery - and replace that/those cell/-s only.

post #84 of 198 Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
For adventures ones:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vic-13610.html

I know it's Honda, but it sounds like very similar NiMeHi battery pack.

And this:

Eric Sumpter, owner of Mile Hybrid, said he's seeing hybrids that need new packs as early as 70,000 miles or as late as 200,000 miles. Toyota said even 300,000 or 400,000 miles on one set of batteries is possible, depending on how the vehicle is driven—that's the all-important factor.
Mile Hybrid sells Civic packs for $2,200 and charges $200 labor for installation. "We think our units offer better power handling characteristics," Mr. Sumpter said, "and some owners report better fuel economy, although we don't guarantee that."
For a refurbished Prius pack that fits 2000 to 2003 cars, Mile Hybrid charges $1,400 and $1,500 for the second generation (2004 to 2010). They're usually sent via truck freight to local garages. Some buyers opt to install the packs themselves, though Mr. Sumpter pointed out that there are some safety concerns and shock hazards.
It's possible to find individual battery cells for sale on the Internet, which can seem like a low-cost way of getting back on the road. But experts say that hybrid cells need to be balanced properly with professional equipment. Skipping that step can lead to overcharged cells and a hydrogen fire, which is very dangerous.
Another hybrid-battery supplier is Re-Involt Technologies in Sanford, N.C. According to Cliff Deming, a service writer there, remanufactured first- or second-generation Prius packs are $1,875 with an 18-month unlimited-mileage warranty. Packs for the Honda Civic hybrid and first-generation Insight are $2,595 from Re-Involt, with a three-year warranty.
Yet another alternative is buying a used battery via eBay or other suppliers—with some replacement Prius batteries available in junkyards for less than $600. But, of course, caveat emptor applies: There's no way to know how long batteries sourced that way will last.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
drini (12-08-2013)
post #85 of 198 Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How much did the dealer charge to replace the battery pack?

2013 Camry hybrid LE magnetic gray
Falcon CO
post #86 of 198 Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Kenundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I still don't get, why you so easily succumb to what they tell you, instead of making them locate bad cells in that battery - and yes, we get it, it's traction battery - and replace that/those cell/-s only.
I was looking to see what Toyota would tell me, and what they would do.
I am still negotiating.....

Toyota offers me $2000 for customer 'Goodwill'. That goodwill is really only $177 !

Toyota quoted me a new HV Battery for $4108, and installation for $797 (7.5hours). Toyota wholesales the battery for $2832, and others (Greentec) installs it for $250 (2.5 hours). Where is the goodwill in that meager offer?
post #87 of 198 Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
None. Toyota dropped battery cost for Prius almost a half, to $2297. That's why I sent you some info on alternative ways.
Battery swap is really not that hard, actually. You can buy refurbished or used one and have someone drop it in for you.
Once again, best route is finding someone who can spot bad cells and swap them out. Or, contact folks I mentioned in article I posted, in CO and NC.

post #88 of 198 Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Yep, no luck there:

Connecticut
Oregon
Washington
Rhode Island
New York
Maine
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
New Mexico
Florida

http://redgreenandblue.org/2009/04/0...-a-good-thing/

Actually, Maryland is now one of the CARB states.

The 13 states adopting the California Clean Car standards are Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ep...dard-8312.html

Edit to add.: that Maryland has been a CARB state, since 2007, taking effect in Model Year 2011. So prior model years (2010 and before) aren't covered.

Last edited by deuce15; 12-11-2013 at 02:50 PM.
post #89 of 198 Old 12-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knsegal View Post
I was looking to see what Toyota would tell me, and what they would do.
I am still negotiating.....

Toyota offers me $2000 for customer 'Goodwill'. That goodwill is really only $177 !

Toyota quoted me a new HV Battery for $4108, and installation for $797 (7.5hours). Toyota wholesales the battery for $2832, and others (Greentec) installs it for $250 (2.5 hours). Where is the goodwill in that meager offer?
I would ask to speak to a higher Manager and yet higher with this same question. You might also mention, other Toyota Hybrid owners online that you interact with are fully expecting Toyota being a customer-oriented company to pickup the full cost of replacement in this case, considering you are barely out of warranty. FWIW, one of my friends had a HV battery failure at 101K miles in his Prius and Toyota picked up the entire cost of the battery + labor.

Good Luck!
post #90 of 198 Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
1. ARE YOU IN CAFE STATE AND WAS YOUR CAR ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IN IT AND LICENSED THERE? As then you have 150 000 miles warranty of all hybrid components.
This is true (assuming you mean CA emissions, not Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency), but I think the OP is in Maryland which only joined starting with the 2011 model year - too late for the OP's 2007.

Quote:
2. Those batteries do not just die. They are a pack of batteries and "a" battery usually goes bad. That is said to be easily diagnosed and a bad sub-battery in pack can be easily replaced. Your dealer is doing lousy job and pulling for a quicky on you. Simply look at that battery as a bunch of AA ones. You do not really replace entire battery if say 2 of those AAs are bad, right, mate?
You have your definitions of battery and cell exactly reversed. And no the dealer isn't doing anything dishonest here, the battery *is* replaced as a unit just as they would replace a brake caliper if only the square cut seal is leaking or say a starter motor or alternator if only a brush is worn out.

bat·ter·y [bat-uh-ree]
noun, plural bat·ter·ies.
1. Electricity: Also called galvanic battery, voltaic battery. a combination of two or more cells electrically connected to work together to produce electric energy.
2. any large group or series of related things: a battery of questions.
3 Military: two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.

Last edited by luns; 12-11-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid