Hybrid battery replacement - Page 7 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 198 Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luns View Post
This is true (assuming you mean CA emissions, not Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency), but I think the OP is in Maryland which only joined starting with the 2011 model year - too late for the OP's 2007.

You have your definitions of battery and cell exactly reversed. And no the dealer isn't doing anything dishonest here, the battery *is* replaced as a unit just as they would replace a brake caliper if only the square cut seal is leaking or say a starter motor or alternator if only a brush is worn out.

bat∑ter∑y [bat-uh-ree]
noun, plural bat∑ter∑ies.
1. Electricity: Also called galvanic battery, voltaic battery. a combination of two or more cells electrically connected to work together to produce electric energy.
2. any large group or series of related things: a battery of questions.
3 Military: two or more pieces of artillery used for combined action.
Yes they just wouldn't want to give a warranty on the changing of a pak or two out of the group.
Its a complete unit and sold as that way.
And you never know you could change out just a part or two of the group and have another failure in a short time.

98 Camry V6 XLE 448K+ and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 11:40 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Need suggestions.My '07 130k battery replacement $4,500

Bought my '07 hybrid just 3 months ago, and has been great....until the hybrid error comes up. Taking it to the dealership, they just informed me that I need a new battery for $4,500 , ouch. I dont have the ability to pay that, what can I do?

Vehicle has 130k on it, and while I know things can break on cars, this is very disappointing, akin to an engine going out with this amount of miles. Its over the 100K warranty period, and Texas doesn't have the California laws on emissions that extend that. So my questions:

1)Will it hurt it to drive basically as a gas vehicle for a while
2) Do dealerships typically take off the "core cost" on my quoted price?
3) Is there any way to talk to someone higher up in Toyota to get this price down?

Thanks everyone in advance
post #93 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
It's Official

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Thanked 1,071 Times in 880 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Ouch is right. I'll let the experts weigh in here, but just want to say I feel for you.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer? If so, I would lean on them some more to come good for part of the cost.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #95 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer? If so, I would lean on them some more to come good for part of the cost.
Bought it from an individual, or I'd try that route. I might look into actually contacting the company directly.
post #96 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The quoted price seems high compared to what it reported in this article. Have they subtracted the core credit? How much is labor? This article suggests 1.7 hours of labor.

Then there is the murky world of used batteries. I wouldn't be afraid to try a battery from a credible auto wrecker providing it is not rebuilt. Buying something rebuilt is a bit of a pig in a poke.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #97 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Found this information using goole from Aug 1st 2012 on traction battery replacement.

Here they show a TCH replacement battery for $3541 with the core credit already deducted.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ent-cost-guide
post #98 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
1)Will it hurt it to drive basically as a gas vehicle for a while
This can't be done on a TCH as the main electric motor is directly connected to the wheels so it's always involved in making the car move; which is not necessarily true with the gas engine.

I wonder how much actually still works once the traction battery is dead. I'm guessing not much.

I've heard the individual faulty cells could be replaced so you don't have to replace the whole thing. I also think that you should shop around, $4500 seems a bit high.

2013 Camry LE Hybrid
post #99 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
This can't be done on a TCH as the main electric motor is directly connected to the wheels so it's always involved in making the car move; which is not necessarily true with the gas engine.

I wonder how much actually still works once the traction battery is dead. I'm guessing not much.

I've heard the individual faulty cells could be replaced so you don't have to replace the whole thing. I also think that you should shop around, $4500 seems a bit high.
Thanks for the responses from everyone. I actually drove it for a few days (probably around 30 miles) after the hybrid system wasn't working. Other then the initial acceleration being sluggish from a stop there wasn't much difference (other than the obvious). My cruise control also stopped, they said it was something else unrelated, which I find is an extremely unlikely coincidence.

I've checked that website ( http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ent-cost-guide) some referenced, and my quote seems a bit high. Looked at a few refurb places, and will have to check into them more. There is a guy in Dallas (I'm in Austin) that will get one set up for $1200 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291117723090) but am a little skeptical.

I called Toyota service and logged a complaint/asked what they can do for me. He was fairly helpful, asked what I would like them to do, I told them to help with a large offset of the cost, or all of it if they are feeling generous, haha. Very disappointing that such a key component would go out with relatively low miles. He is going to get back to me on Monday.
post #100 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Are you in CARB state? In CARB states you have 150 000 miles warranty on hybrid system, IF the car was originally licensed and sold to you in CARB state.
Also, vist Greenhybrid. Battery replacements wete discussed there in depth, you may find helpful info. Many went refurbished route, it's reliable, but time taking. I think, they actually make traction battery better than factory one.
Also, good technician can scope which cells in battery are bad, it does not go bad ENTIRELY, and they can be replaced. Dealer simply does not want to hassle with this.

post #101 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This one looked promising.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Camry...-/171291456301

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
post #102 of 198 Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Are you in CARB state? In CARB states you have 150 000 miles warranty on hybrid system, IF the car was originally licensed and sold to you in CARB state.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not. Texas hasn't become CARB territory yet
post #103 of 198 Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Yeah.. Sucks. Well, truly, there are plenty of rather cheap batteries online. Then of course, they will get you on shipment, as safety considerations make it hazardous to ship.
Scrap yards locally? It's not that much of labor to replace it. I heard, costs only around $300 to swap it out. As far as it was not rear end damage, of course. Then you'll have to deal with dealer, as they will have to re-flash ECM to work with swapped battery.
Yes, it's one of those Damocles swords we all drive under. Some get very very far, way past 300 000 miles. Some get hit early. It's still a very good car.

post #104 of 198 Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Did you hear back from Toyota today? Any word on if they will help you out with the offset of that cost?
post #105 of 198 Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If my car gets near the end of the warranty and the battery craps out, I figure that's a win for me because it extends the time I'll have a functioning battery that I don't have to pay to replace.

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid