Hybrid battery replacement - Page 9 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 198 Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,092 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I have a 150db air horn on my alarm. Everyone notices. $70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 198 Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Now you've got me worried. What town?

I like the air horn idea, though my alarm isn't routine either !

Elegance

'70 Corona MKII, '78 Corolla, '84 Corolla, '86 Camry, '00 Sienna, '12 Camry Hybrid

Last edited by michelliot; 12-02-2014 at 12:32 PM.
post #123 of 198 Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 PM
2013 XLE Hybrid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Obviously a pro job, somebody has a TCH that needed a battery and/or batteries. The HV battery I can understand would be worth the trouble, while I wonder why the 12v battery, too.
I went last year to a 2nd Gen Prius shop that had a Nissan Leaf battery in place of the original battery. My thought are possibly a different vehicle may have that newer battery in place of its old worn out battery.
Have you checked Ebay recently for a battery like yours? It could happen, or any strangers in the area?
I know it sounds to me like an insurance job, you report it to your agent that the batteries are gone. Take it to Toyota and have them verify nothing else is wrong with your Hybrid, to be safe. Hope you get it fixed. You could get the HV battery shell etched or something else. These guys are smart, smarter than the average thief. Let us know what you find out.

Ten Years of Gen II Prius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 198 Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
There might not be value in the part itself but I'm wondering if scrap value wise they are, especially if it's broken down to it's basic parts and those are sold as pure materials. Seems like a lot of effort though, as I can't imagine it's THAT much money (I say that as if a few hundred dollars isn't worth it to someone with a habit...). Catalytic converters I can understand as they are low value but easy, but this?
post #125 of 198 Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another dead giveaway with the hybrid Camrys is the air intake on the rear package shelf. This is for battery cooling. Not that conspicuous but it's there.

If this group removed the hybrid and 12v battery, they obviously knew what they were doing. Sounds like a professional theft ring.

'10 TCH, Magnetic Grey Metallic, Moonroof, Heated Leather and NAV
'92 LE I4, 180k original miles, Silver Taupe Metallic, Moonroof, ABS
post #126 of 198 Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
2008 Camry Hybrid - When to expect Battery replacement

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid with 125k miles on it. I'm not experiencing any issues at all with the car but wanted to know if anyone has had to replace their hybrid battery and if so, at what mileage?

Just trying to get an idea as to when I might expect the battery to fail.

Thanks!
post #127 of 198 Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Gosh, man, you about 40 000 miles past the replacement point!! Go replace it right away.

Sorry, you sort of asked for this. We have plenty of 200 000 milers here and they still run on the original traction battery. !2V - I replaced it, though it was still OK, around 99 000 miles. I was bored.
Taxi cabs, Prii, run all the way into 300 000 miles plus with only 10% traction battery performance drop.
Ease up. Enjoy the car.

post #128 of 198 Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 AM
TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It's designed to last the life of the vehicle. Like any part in any vehicle, it could fail tomorrow or it could never fail for the length of ownership. There are taxis that run til 500,000 km before replacement, while others run til 750,000 km. The second generation (and newer) NiMH have been much more reliable than the ones found in the Gen 1 Prius.
post #129 of 198 Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
This is one of those things we always worry about. If it were a pick-up truck or a conventional car, you would be worried about shelling out thousands for a transmission some day.

You have nothing to worry about. See my sig. I have a 2008 with with over 204,000 miles now and I am still on both the original batteries. Traction and 12v.

Batteries are not the big deal they used to be unless you deal with the dealer. You can have the traction battery rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. You can even get them from local auto parts suppliers now (I wouldn't).

Enjoy your car.... I'm sure there are other more important things for you to worry about if you are a "Worry Wart"!

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #130 of 198 Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would say maybe 5 to 6 years on the 12 volt battery that's also in the trunk under a flap. It's a special battery and cost more than a regular gas car start battery.

A TCH tech here in town once told me he had two Prius customers that their traction batteries made it to 240 and the other at 245,000 miles before needing to be replaced. The customers bought new traction batteries and kept driving the cars.

Today you can buy rebuilt traction batteries and have them installed buy the dealer or the battery rebuilder for a labor charge. I have heard the rebuilts go for about $1500 and have a year or two warranty.

Some have found used traction batteries on Ebay for around $500 but who knows how many years/miles were on them when they were removed from a wrecked TCH.

One thing to remember here is these were early Prius with the early designed traction batteries. No doubt your 2008 traction battery has a much better designed and runs cooler and may last longer than these prius I mentioned.
post #131 of 198 Old 10-25-2015, 08:26 AM
PJSMITH

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
In major manufacturer's (Sears/Interstate, etc.) batteries, Recycled is 100% lead and no different than "pure" lead.

Optima batteries are great batteries. But lead is lead

Phil

2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited (TECH)
2012 Volvo S60 T5 (Pumpkin)
2005 Triumph Rocket III
1991 Volvo 940 SE (Retired)

Completely Retired
post #132 of 198 Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 AM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
It's not about lead and lead is not mercury to be concerned with vapors. Concern is about byproduct of battery operation - explosive and toxic gas. This is why they have glass mat battery utilized, as it has very little electrolyte and that is contained in glass absorbent. IF you find a fully sealed deep cycle battery, you do not need to concern yourself with vents.

post #133 of 198 Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This Optima battery works in the Prius and it is apparently vented. Won't this work in the Camry as well?

http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html
post #134 of 198 Old 10-25-2015, 02:26 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Optima is vented outside. Look at your battery. I thas special provision for a tube to be connected to expell gas outside the "sealed" trunk. I installed such a provision onto my Yellowtop Optima. I questioned CaptainJim here, Optima rep, yrs back, why they won't add that provision, but they chose not to.
Also, you do not need Redtop Optima. You need Yellowtop one.
Look in craigslist. We have craigslist guy in our area that sells them cheap.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5257752596.html

You have several options therafter.
1. Add vent tube connection provision.
2. Do nothing
3. Do what some others did. Use regular lead acid battery.
Trunk is not really sealed enclosure to collect gas, if you want my opinion.

post #135 of 198 Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Optima’s grid alloy is one of the most corrosion-resistant alloys in production. The high purity of the alloy and its simple binary composition also minimizes gas generation. As indicated, typical wet batteries (and some flat-plate AGM batteries) use grid alloys that contain three or four elements, which results in lower overall purity and gassing characteristics that are not as good as Optima’s binary lead alloy. As a result, Optima batteries will have less corrosion at elevated temperatures and less water loss, when compared to those batteries, so not all lead is the same. If there were no difference, all manufacturers would use the most cost-effective option.

The DS46B24R battery used in Prius applications does have provisions for external venting built into the battery, but we do not currently offer what we would consider a direct-fit, vented replacement for the Hybrid Camry. Our legal team requires us to recommend that any battery installed in an enclosed space, including a trunk or interior, be properly-vented to the outside air.

All new Optima consumer automotive batteries come with three-year, free replacement warranties, serviceable from the original retailer. Used batteries carry no factory warranty coverage and any warranty promised or offered from used battery sellers is available only from that specific seller and not transferable to any other retailer.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.instagram.com/optimabatteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid