Hybrid battery replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 198 Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Having to replace trunk battery

So I found out I have a bad cell in my 12V battery in the trunk. My wife brought it to NTB and they tried to replace it and said they could not get the battery back in and that I had to go to the dealership. I have put in many car batteries but never in this car. Everywhere is closed now so I cannot get one to try to put it in myself. It looks pretty straight foward though. Is there something I am missing? Anything special about putting in that battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
New TN User

b/c of the placment of where the battery is in the back of your car some batteries physically won't fit. nothing really special about putting it in. i believe your owners manuel has how to do it (don't quote me though).

how old is your car, dealerships have a pro-rated warrenty on their batteries, i believe its free for 3 yrs/ 36k miles, than every year or 12k miles its pro-rated (ie they pay x% you pay y%) and the ratios change based on age or mileage.
post #3 of 198 Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Toyota uses a special non gassing deep cycle battery for the 12 volt in the trunk. You don't want a batter that gasses hydrogen and oxygen in your trunk. A spark could cause a significant boom. The Optima D34M Blue Top should be a good replacement choice. However, you should measure your space and compare it to the battery specs to confirm. In the 2012 it should fit, but will be longer than the original. It will depend on your mounting brackets.

The trick of replacing it is to use two wires to solidly connect the terminals of the battery leads to the new battery before you disconnect the old. Positive to positive and negative to negative of course. After you have a solid connection disconnect the old battery and put the new one in place. Then make the permanent connections. The idea is to not leave the car without a 12 volt supply during the changeover.

Last edited by Ron AKA; 07-16-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 198 Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM
New TN User

i think the optima battery is a little too big. the hybrids have small batteries since they only run the accesories in a hybrid. (i believe Mg1 starts the car and uses the hv battery not the auxilary one), so b/c its small and where it is in the trunk i'm not sure what battery would fit besides oem. i'd measure like ron AKA suggested. best way to see what will fit. also ron is right about the type used and you really don't want an aftermarket battery venting into a inclosed space. i know the prius batt. have a vent hose that you hook up that routes outside the trunk, i think the camry;s have the same thing.

Last edited by toyota monkey; 07-16-2012 at 11:22 PM.
post #5 of 198 Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Official TN Member

Optima has made a battery specially designed for the Prius, including the vent system: http://shop.optimabatteries.com/prod....0.0.0.0?pp=8&
While I don't know for certain, I would think that the hybrid Camry probably uses the same battery as the Prius so this might work.
post #6 of 198 Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
New TN User

good find, as long as the cca and reserve capacity is the same there shouldn't be an issue i would think
post #7 of 198 Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota monkey View Post
i know the prius batt. have a vent hose that you hook up that routes outside the trunk, i think the camry;s have the same thing.
There is no vent on the 2012 TCH battery. They use a sealed AGM or Gel battery that does not gas. The Optima is an AGM. The yellow top is designed for starting and is intended for conventional auto starting service. The blue is for marine, and depending on the specific model designed for deep cycling. The 12V in the TCH is not used for starting.
post #8 of 198 Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC1234 View Post
Optima has made a battery specially designed for the Prius, including the vent system: http://shop.optimabatteries.com/products/productdetail/Optima+Batteries+DS46B24R+YellowTop+Prius+Auxiliar y+Battery/part_number=DS46B24R/1737.0.1.1.73619.0.0.0.0?pp=8&
While I don't know for certain, I would think that the hybrid Camry probably uses the same battery as the Prius so this might work.
The information on the top of my 2012 TCH battery would indicate it is a 51 AmpHour battery, which is significantly more capacity than the Prius battery at the link -- 38 amp hour. The D34M has 55 amp hours.

You can find more battery discussion at this thread I started on the subject.

TCH 12V Battery Discussion

It is possible the newer models have larger batteries. There are reports of them going flat after not being driven for a few weeks, so perhaps Toyota increased capacity.
post #9 of 198 Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
On Toyota website, in Parts and Service section, then Batteries it stated...

If your vehicle is hard to start and/or has dim headlights when the engine is turned off, your battery is getting weak and should be replaced with a new TrueStart™ or True2™ battery. Manufactured to Toyota’s exacting standards for quality and performance, these batteries offer the right combination of cold cranking amps (CCA) and reserve capacity (RC) for reliable performance regardless of climate.
Believe it or not, a higher CCA rating isn’t necessarily a good thing, because it negatively affects RC, or the ability of your battery to hold a charge. TrueStart™ and True2™ batteries have been approved by Toyota engineers for years of trouble-free service–and no one knows your Toyota better than they do.

post #10 of 198 Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Y'all still don't even know if his car is 2012 or not, yet everyone made assumptions it is.

Hey, camryfan, read this before you "nothing special" it:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...acement-27927/

I thought, it was proven beyond reasonable doubt, that Yellow Top Optima is the right choice for TCH? Both on size and storage capacities? Where did blue one came from? We got already numerous posts here last year, with one optimajim, having all this figured and resolved? Now we go for a new theory?
Even if it's 2012, does it have thrmistor or not? And if yes, does he know what to do with it? Haven't noticed any mentioning of that either.

Ron, as knowledgeable as you appear to be on the subjects, you could have done better job actually. Connect wires to new battery BEFORE replacing old one? You serious? You ever tried that yourself? All he needs is a reasonably small back up 12V battery, 20 or so bucks worth, hooked up parallel to battery cables, and that's POC to do. Why no one told him to have car turned ON, so that everything is powered off traction battery? Just in case?
You realize, it's The Wife's car? You know hell she'll put him through, if he ends up with $520 bill from dealer like the other guy?

post #11 of 198 Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
New TN User

The only difference between the D34M Blue Top and the D34 Yellow Top is that the Blue Top has both the post type and wing nut type connectors. The later connector is for boat and RV accessories. Both are dual purpose batteries.

The M is for marine. That lets them jack the price up.
post #12 of 198 Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Official TN Member

Quick question, does anyone know this ?
how many Watts you can run off of the '12 TCH's 12V Aux battery while the car is Powered On using an Inverter ?

Thanks.

post #13 of 198 Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Stressor View Post
The only difference between the D34M Blue Top and the D34 Yellow Top is that the Blue Top has both the post type and wing nut type connectors. The later connector is for boat and RV accessories. Both are dual purpose batteries.

The M is for marine. That lets them jack the price up.
Doesn't the "marine" type batteries supposedly give you many many more charge/discharge cycles than the car type batteries ? therefore the added cost/price ?

post #14 of 198 Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
New TN User

"Marine" batteries are typically dual purpose. They provide reasonable cranking amps but can still stand up to many deep discharge cycles. More than automotive starting batteries for sure, but less than true deep cycle batteries. Both the Blue and Yellow tops are dual purpose batteries.

True deep cycle batteries have more capacity at the expense of cranking amps. They achieve this by using fewer but heavier lead plates. Note that the Blue and Yellow top batteries weigh the same at each size group. Dedicated deep cycle batteries are heavier and often slightly larger than their dual purpose equivalents.

Last edited by Doc Stressor; 07-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.
post #15 of 198 Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior TN Member

D34 Yellow vs D34M Blue? Yes, the specs look very similar. Optima claims the Yellow provides 2X the recharge life compared to a standard battery, while the Blue provides 3X. Perhaps just marketing hype...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid