check hybrid system and vcs - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 505 Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I got that ERROR C1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL TCH View Post
Just got the dreaded C1391 error code! $3100 to fix. I called another dealer and got a quote of $2100. After questioning the price difference, I found that the cheaper dealer had the original ABS actuator. They said they got it Nov 2012 and the new one must have produced since then. The original actuator costs about $1600 and the reengineered one costs $2499 hence the difference in price. If anyone is experiencing this failure, I would suggest they check and then double check the part number of the actuator the are trying to install. I don't know if the new actuator is any better than the original but I do know I don't want the old one. My 07 Camry hybrid has 155,000 miles on it. I also just had the water pump replaced along with the brake pads. Getting 155,000 miles on the original brake pads is pretty good though. I called Toyota corp but they said "sorry we can't help you". I filed a complaint with safecar.gov. This experience has really soured my otherwise favorable opinion of this car. I hope no one gets hurt by this faulty product but I think that's what it may take to bring this to the publics attention. The amount of recent failures is alarming.
Response: I just experienced the same error C1391 from the Toyota Service Dept. Cost for repair = $2700.00 + Labor. I declined repairs and found the part on eBay for $450, I submitted a bid for $300 since it had a small crack which was a non-issue for me. I won the bid and received the part within a week. I researched on-line on how to remove and replace the "ABS Actuator" myself. I received the part and installed it within 25 minutes; I bled the brakes and test drove the car; during this test drive the Error warning lights disappeared and that ANNOYING BUZZER, STOPPED BUZZING!!! Don't let the dealer rip you off!! This Error Code C1391 has been documented but Toyota continues to ignore this problem!!!

harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 505 Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
New TN User

VSC Light Brake Failure

I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution other than the stroke sensor? Need to offer the dealership some guidance, as they, of course, can find nothing wrong and no record in car's computer system.
post #138 of 505 Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM
New TN User

Replaced ABS Accumulator

I recently replaced by ABS accumulator after 2 months of the VSC System light going on and off. It first came in in cold, rainy weather before Christmas. I took it to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong with it. The light stayed off for about 3 weeks and then started coming on interminently. Each time it did, it felt like there was pressure behind the brake and the brakes definitely didn't work as well. Eventually the light came on and stayed on and the car made a very odd noise.

The dealer quoted over $3k for the part and labor. I was able to find the part for about $400 cheaper from a Toyota dealer in CA and talked Toyota down on the labor. Total cost ended up being about $2250.

I think it is ridiculous that Toyota will not do anything about this. I saw from this thread that people have had luck getting money back in CA. I am going to try contacting Toyota of NC and hope for the same luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 505 Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
What year is your TCH and what mileage?
post #140 of 505 Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 AM
New TN User

Car Info

I have 2007 Camry Hybrid. At the time I had the accumulator replaced the car that 79k miles on it. No other real issues with the car other than the normal wear.
post #141 of 505 Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
New TN User

Check VCS System - C1391

This just happened to me a week a go, still investigating. Reported to this site. http://www.NHTSA.gov/
Also found an other are of support. We need to stay at this!! I know there are many more out there!
https://www.checkvscsystem.com/

Been all over looking for an accumulator, with no luck. Called California,
very sympathetic, have a case number, but I have to go to a dealer, and this time pay them to do the computer dagonostic. RIP! Then work my way through the financial nightmare. 2007 Camry Hybrid, lights came on at 68025 miles.
post #142 of 505 Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkatrina View Post
This just happened to me a week a go, still investigating. Reported to this site. http://www.NHTSA.gov/
Also found an other are of support. We need to stay at this!! I know there are many more out there!
https://www.checkvscsystem.com/

Been all over looking for an accumulator, with no luck. Called California,
very sympathetic, have a case number, but I have to go to a dealer, and this time pay them to do the computer dagonostic. RIP! Then work my way through the financial nightmare. 2007 Camry Hybrid, lights came on at 68025 miles.
While Toyota may have a different view, mine is that this brake control system is part of the hybrid vehicle system because it is part of the regenerative braking system. As such it should be covered under the extended hybrid component warranty. There is no regenerative braking in the non hybrid Camry. And the hybrid system cannot operate without it.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #143 of 505 Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
New TN User

Thank you for further info, I need all I can get. I called and am not covered now. I think there was an extended waranty for five years or 60,000 miles. This was previously my parents car, then just mom and now I. So it is not looking good. Even when give a vin number, I get nothing. I called Toyta in Ca. Same thing. And I know I am on borrowed time. Drive low miles and no highway, nor will I untill I get this resolved. Trying to do this without having to borrow money.
post #144 of 505 Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
While Toyota may have a different view, mine is that this brake control system is part of the hybrid vehicle system because it is part of the regenerative braking system. As such it should be covered under the extended hybrid component warranty. There is no regenerative braking in the non hybrid Camry. And the hybrid system cannot operate without it.

Please read next thread below this one. Did not do the respond thing right. New to the site. Will get better at it.
What about this extended waranty for this? I can not get an answer when I go to the source. I keep getting told I have no waranty.
post #145 of 505 Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Please read next thread below this one. Did not do the respond thing right. New to the site. Will get better at it.
What about this extended waranty for this? I can not get an answer when I go to the source. I keep getting told I have no waranty.
The current Camry Hybrid has a separate extended warranty on hybrid components. I asked the salesman if this brake module was covered, and he said it was. Of course he wanted to sell a car, so the real test would be when it failed and you are talking to the service rep.

I would find out how long your warranty is on the hybrid components, and if you are still inside that limit pursue it further with Toyota. Also big companies hate small claims court. It costs them more for lawyers than the typical claim. As a last resort you might at least threaten it. The basis of the claim is that this part is specific to the hybrid design (regardless of what the Toyota fine print may say). Do your homework. Find out the part number of the brake module for the non hybrid and the hybrid to show that they are different.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #146 of 505 Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 PM
New TN User

You refered to the "Current Camry Hybrid"
Would that include a 2007 Camry Hybrid? I have
stated the miles when this warning came up on the dash.
I have been trying to find out about warrantys, components is
a new and different thing to look at. thanks. However
I am trying to do my homework, yet I don't know where to looK.
And lastly, I have been looking for the ABS accumulator for my car, cannot find a
part number. Never mind the regular camry. Do I need to purchase a secret bible on this? I have been all over the internet, LOST!
post #147 of 505 Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
New TN User

Quote:
You refered to the "Current Camry Hybrid"
Would that include a 2007 Camry Hybrid? I have
stated the miles when this warning came up on the dash.
I have been trying to find out about warrantys, components is
a new and different thing to look at. thanks. However
I am trying to do my homework, yet I don't know where to looK.
And lastly, I have been looking for the ABS accumulator for my car, cannot find a
part number. Never mind the regular camry. Do I need to purchase a secret bible on this? I have been all over the internet, LOST!
I have been to several areas on automotive. When I look for my needs, I get everything but the accumulator for the 07 Camry Hybrid.
Not that I have not seen accumulators, just not for this vehicles ABS system. Very frustrating, especially when you just do not know! In the mean time, I am getting a swift education! HA!
post #148 of 505 Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM
New TN User

Got me thinking here, can you smell the smoke??!!??
I have printed out your suggestions to me, so I can refer back when I call
California again, I did get a case number, so maybe I can ask them about
the warrranty on this hybrid component? I know I need the part number, where
ever that is mysteriously hidden..... Not giving up.
post #149 of 505 Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior TN Member

You should be able to find Toyota manuals and warranty info at this link.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #150 of 505 Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
Thank you. Went there and registered. Clicked on warranty for camry hybrid, saw warranty about batteries and such. But no mention of brakes, ABS, accumulators. Went into the parts site. Well!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of numbers. No descriptions. Common now! I saw two things that had for the front, w/ABS and lots of numbers. I have no idea what would be for me. This is not for novices. And is an absolute frustrating maze!
However keeping and going back to. Sharing with someone who can possibly read into this. Not sure.

Again thank you for your help. It is getting me closer to where I need to be , slowly but somewhat surely. Emoticons helping with sense of humor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid