check hybrid system and vcs - Page 24 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 505 Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Ken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequenthawaiian View Post
If you're having issues with your Toyota Camry ABS you might want to take a look at this pdf: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...4001-59692.pdf

You may get a free "Warranty enhancement" ABS replacement.
Thanks for the link.
I think it would be good for anyone owning a TCH that would be covered to print out the notice and keep it with their documentation just in case they need to "refresh" their dealers memory. This is a very expensive repair so I would say this is important to keep.
snookwhaler likes this.

Ken
'16 Avalon XLE Premium Hybrid
'15 Prius Three
'09 TCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 505 Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I received the enhanced warranty letter in the mail at the end of july, but I've been too busy to take the camry in. I'll take the car in and post the results.
post #348 of 505 Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmike1 View Post
Update, the main battery faoled as did the aux batt.
Did you have to replace the main and aux batteries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #349 of 505 Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney21 View Post
OK, I have a situation that's very similar, yet caused by a different reason (self induced). I'm hoping that somebody in this forum can help me solve the mystery I created.

I started out to do a quick oil change and tire rotation this morning on my 2007 TCH. I put the car on jackstands and when I removed the wheels, I noticed that the rear brake pads were worn out. I sent my wife to Autozone for new pads and continued working. I removed the left rear caliper and pads so it was ready to start going back together as soon as she got home, then I turned to the oil change to keep busy. I finished that before she got back, so I went to reset the maintenance light/reminder. As you all know, you have to hold in the odometer button while you turn on the ignition, and as you also know, you have to step on the brake before you press the Start button....

Obviously I had forgotten about the left rear caliper, hanging there with no pads or rotor inside - I remembered it only moments later, but still too late. The piston had pushed out a long way, but not all the way out. I grabbed my channel locks and pushed it back in. A little bit of brake fluid had come out, but not a lot (maybe a dozen drops or so). Once it was back in, it didn't leak anymore. When my wife got home, I finished the brake job and wrapped everything up.

As soon as I turned it on, the BRAKE light, ABS light, and (!) light were on, and the screen says CHECK VSC SYSTEM. I had no idea what that meant, so I googled it - which led me here. I thought it was something to do with being turned on while it was on jackstands (suspension fully extended, etc) and I figured it would be no big deal. I drove it over 200 miles today and nothing changed. I tried hooking up an OBD II scanner to reset the code, and the scanner said there were 0 codes present.

Now that I've learned that the VSC system works off of not only yaw and suspension, but also wheel sensors, brakes, etc it seems more logical that it was triggered by my brake mishap and not the jackstands. But how do I fix it?

Here's the weird thing: You know how you can move the caliper a little bit when the brakes are not applied, but when you apply the brakes, the clamping force locks it solid? On the caliper that I overextended the piston, it's not clamping onto the rotor the way it should. I can still wiggle it a little bit even when somebody applies the brakes - so pressure is not reaching that caliper.

I'm thinking the ABS detected the piston extension and it blocked the pressure going to that caliper - maybe a failsafe in case of a ruptured line or something? There has to be a link between that caliper and my warnings about ABS and VSC.

Any info would help, if there's somebody out there who is knowledgable about these systems. What do I do?

Thanks!
So what was the outcome on your brakes?

The Bitterness of Poor Quality,Lingers Long After the Cheapness of Price is Forgotten!
post #350 of 505 Old 09-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney21 View Post
OK, I have a situation that's very similar, yet caused by a different reason (self induced). I'm hoping that somebody in this forum can help me solve the mystery I created.

I started out to do a quick oil change and tire rotation this morning on my 2007 TCH. I put the car on jackstands and when I removed the wheels, I noticed that the rear brake pads were worn out. I sent my wife to Autozone for new pads and continued working. I removed the left rear caliper and pads so it was ready to start going back together as soon as she got home, then I turned to the oil change to keep busy. I finished that before she got back, so I went to reset the maintenance light/reminder. As you all know, you have to hold in the odometer button while you turn on the ignition, and as you also know, you have to step on the brake before you press the Start button....

Obviously I had forgotten about the left rear caliper, hanging there with no pads or rotor inside - I remembered it only moments later, but still too late. The piston had pushed out a long way, but not all the way out. I grabbed my channel locks and pushed it back in. A little bit of brake fluid had come out, but not a lot (maybe a dozen drops or so). Once it was back in, it didn't leak anymore. When my wife got home, I finished the brake job and wrapped everything up.

As soon as I turned it on, the BRAKE light, ABS light, and (!) light were on, and the screen says CHECK VSC SYSTEM. I had no idea what that meant, so I googled it - which led me here. I thought it was something to do with being turned on while it was on jackstands (suspension fully extended, etc) and I figured it would be no big deal. I drove it over 200 miles today and nothing changed. I tried hooking up an OBD II scanner to reset the code, and the scanner said there were 0 codes present.

Now that I've learned that the VSC system works off of not only yaw and suspension, but also wheel sensors, brakes, etc it seems more logical that it was triggered by my brake mishap and not the jackstands. But how do I fix it?

Here's the weird thing: You know how you can move the caliper a little bit when the brakes are not applied, but when you apply the brakes, the clamping force locks it solid? On the caliper that I overextended the piston, it's not clamping onto the rotor the way it should. I can still wiggle it a little bit even when somebody applies the brakes - so pressure is not reaching that caliper.

I'm thinking the ABS detected the piston extension and it blocked the pressure going to that caliper - maybe a failsafe in case of a ruptured line or something? There has to be a link between that caliper and my warnings about ABS and VSC.

Any info would help, if there's somebody out there who is knowledgable about these systems. What do I do?

Thanks!
second request what was the outcome on your brakes?

The Bitterness of Poor Quality,Lingers Long After the Cheapness of Price is Forgotten!
post #351 of 505 Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well I wasn't overwhelmed with the response on here (I was beginning to think nobody got on here anymore). But I continued to research and learned that there was no direct connection between the brake pedal and the actual brake system (I was pretty disappointed to learn this - seems like a giant step backward for the DIYer), I came to the conclusion that the dealer is the only one who could bleed my brakes (asinine) and reset my computer.

I took it to the dealer and sure enough, he hooked up his fancy computer, bled the brakes, and all is well. Except the fact that the brakes make weird little squeaks and random noises at very low speeds, anyway. The lights are off, and aside from the noises that really irritate my wife, everything works fine.
post #352 of 505 Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Official TN Member

mooney21,glad it got fixed, how much did they end up charging you to diagnose and bleed the brakes? Dealers are notorious for over charging on brake jobs. May have been cheaper to have them bled at a brake place. We're you'd brakes worn out when you replaced them?

post #353 of 505 Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 AM
New TN User

It was $110 to bleed the brakes. They started talking about an $80 diagnostic fee for each simple question I had (such as detonation/fuel knock etc) so I told them disregard. That's the reason I dislike going to the dealer - their time is so valuable they think it's ok to charge me $80 to have a discussion.

And a regular brake shop can't do it because of the hybrid regenerative braking system from what I'm told. They need the computer that tells the car's computer to apply hydraulic brakes instead of electric brakes when you step on the pedal. In essence, they designed a system so that even a previously simple task requires a trip to the dealer. Not impressed.

Anyway, that was the outcome. I'm still not completely satisfied because it makes noises sometimes now, like it squeals a little when you first let off the brake and the car starts rolling, and you hear an intermittent rubbing sound sometimes during slow left turns. Neither was there before. But my dealer is over an hour away and I don't feel like paying him to look into it again.
post #354 of 505 Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 AM
New TN User

And yes, the old pads were worn out - that's why I replaced them.
post #355 of 505 Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
"Check Hybrid System" message showed up when I'm just about to park my car in the garage. Traction battery is fully charged (all green) tried backing out of the garage and back to see if it will disappear, still there. Parked it and turned it off and on maybe more than 3x, gone. Weird, not sure what's going on.. maybe the weather. Just barely 105k miles and out of extended warranty. Hope it's not something major.
post #356 of 505 Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 AM
2007 TCH owner

Drove the car this morning, no "Check Hybrid System" message. Everything looks normal as if nothing happened. Upon reaching the office I did the diagnostic mode for the 12v battery. Using the DMM it registers 12.6v, initial diagnostic mode at IGN1 is 12.1v, when accessories are turned on IGN2 is 11.5 at startup is 13.5v. This indicates a failing Aux Battery (IGN2 should be above 12v and I guess startup should be around 14v)

Tough month, I just replaced my wife's truck and daughter's car with new batteries a week ago.

Last edited by lincolnshibuya; 11-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #357 of 505 Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Ken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Did it still have the original 12v battery? If so I would say you did pretty good getting 7 to 8 years from an OEM battery.

Ken
'16 Avalon XLE Premium Hybrid
'15 Prius Three
'09 TCH
post #358 of 505 Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 AM
2007 TCH owner

I think 7+ years is fair enough for the OEM battery.
Currently looking at amazon for the replacement, Optima for Prius http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8171-767-FFP-DS46B24R-YellowTop/dp/B00E16M1S8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416418978&sr=8-3&keywords=optima+battery+yellow+top
or I could just pay extra $90 and buy it locally.
post #359 of 505 Old 11-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya View Post
"Check Hybrid System" message showed up when I'm just about to park my car in the garage. Traction battery is fully charged (all green) tried backing out of the garage and back to see if it will disappear, still there. Parked it and turned it off and on maybe more than 3x, gone. Weird, not sure what's going on.. maybe the weather. Just barely 105k miles and out of extended warranty. Hope it's not something major.
Hmm. I just turned 30k miles on mine. Until recently, the car almost never showed 7 bars on the traction battery display and I only recall seeing 8 bars once when descending a steep mountain pass. Lately, however, I'm seeing 7 bars rather frequently. The car is otherwise running fine, but I am wondering what has changed.

Always something. Inquiring minds...

Rob - 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
post #360 of 505 Old 11-23-2014, 05:11 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
P0708 please help with part.

Hello,

Just got Check Hybrid System message. Did diagnostics and conputer showed p0708 code. Looks like there is a problem with transmission range sesnsor. Did anybody have the same issue?
Pleaese let me know how to find the part and whats its part # ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid