check hybrid system and vcs - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 505 Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
either way, you appear to be right out of warranty. sorry, john, it looks like you had a pass of bad luck...

I am pretty positive there was at least one more member here or at another TCH forum, that had very similar issue, and it went away. he was also stuck in traffic, and battery went low, then all this wonderful lights display came about.

like I said - might have been just low charge and battery started havoc. personally - in case like this, I start scratching my head and looking at replacements. this thing will cost you arm and leg in HSD repairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 505 Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Had you filled you gas tank before the check engine lamp lit. I have read, a not fully tightened gas-cap can cause a warning light to come on. If toyota can't find anything wrong, you might consider replacing the fuel cap (from your toyota dealer) as a preventive measure.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 10-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
post #33 of 505 Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Had you filled you gas tank before the check engine lamp lit. I have read, a not fully tightened gas-cap can cause a warning light to come on. If toyota can't find anything wrong, you might consider replacing the fuel cap (from your toyota dealer) as a preventive measure.
Good point, it does say on the fuel tank to make sure you hear the ticks or else it will activate the check engine light. Hope it works out well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 505 Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Gas tank was filled a couple of days prior to the incident. It was exactly 200 miles prior to this warning showing up.
post #35 of 505 Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjan View Post
Gas tank was filled a couple of days prior to the incident. It was exactly 200 miles prior to this warning showing up.
I doubt a not-tightened gas cap would be your problem. Most seem to have the light come on not many miles after filling the tank.
post #36 of 505 Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
yeah, folks, let him be. Don't confuse CEL(gas cap code) light with VSC and HSD warning lights. there's BIG difference between them.

post #37 of 505 Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Official TN Member

This is the reply I got back from Toyota:

Dear Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for the concerns you are having with your Camry Hybrid. Because we cannot inspect your vehicle, we recommend contacting your local Toyota dealership in Canada for inspection.

You may also contact Toyota Canada for further assistance with your inquiry.

Toyota Canada, Inc.
1 Toyota Place
Scarborough, ON
Canada M1H 1H9
888-869-6828

www.toyota.ca

We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters under case reference number 1110xxxxxx.

Sincerely,
Txxxx Mxxxxx
Toyota Customer Experience
post #38 of 505 Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Senior TN Member

[QUOTE=johnjan;3679623]This hybrid was purchased from Philadelphia, USA in January 2011. It had 78926 miles on it.
Today it is at 100700 miles.
And today this car gave problems for the first time while coming down on one of the main streets of Toronto (University Avenue). There was a Check Hybrid System warning on the dash and the check engine light was also on. I was doing approximately 10 mph and it was stop and go traffic. [QUOTE]

I did more internet searching. I found a similar high mileage incident that was caused by a faulty coil over plug. Each spark plug in the TCH has a small ignition coil over it so the TCH don't use spark plug wires. The coil is fired from the ECM. (electronic control module) The tech info it was said, to remove each coil wire at the coil and unplug at the ECM. Check each for shorts or crosses in the wiring out to each coil. Another check point is to make sure each coil wire is plugged fully onto the ECM.

No doubt Toyota knows about this type of trouble shooting. Toyota also has a tech center were local toyota dealer techs can call for advise on hard to find troubles.

My thinking it could possibly be a single defective sensor which they are many. A sensor to me, once bad would need replacing. I doubt any sensor would ever become intermittent. To top that any bad sensor should give a trouble code.
post #39 of 505 Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
2007 TCH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2007 TCH "Check VSC System" code C1391

My 2007 TCH showed a "Check VSC System" message halfway through my commute home along with with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. I made it home and parked it for the night.
The next morning the same message and lights came on so I made an appointment and took it to the dealer. For $108 the dealer runs diagnostics and finds code C1391.
The dealer wants to replace the ABS Accumulator. They say it is a sealed unit, has an internal leak, can't be repaired, and must be replaced. Parts & labor = $2,313.73. Ouch. I said I would have to schedule this replacement for a couple of weeks from now if possible. They reset the code but it came back on my commute home tonight.
They also say the water pump is beginning to leak a little and suggest replacing it ($587.57). Ouch again.
Granted this 2007 Camry Hybrid has 106,000 miles, but it has run perfectly to date with no problems and has been serviced on schedule only by the dealer where I bought it new.
Does this sound reasonable? Advice anyone?

Last edited by tdougher; 01-05-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarification
post #40 of 505 Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
New TN User

Seems reasonable, the accumulator is already a $1,800+ part. Same is true with the water pump, I got the same estimate when mine went out at 58k (but that was covered under warranty)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2007 Camry Hybrid DIY
post #41 of 505 Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/200...camry-hy-4.htm

I can swear, I have seen entire accumulator walk through not so long ago. with pictures and all that. It's quite a job, but DIY-able.

You can replace water pump yourself. 2007 repair manuals are on the shelf. Hmmm... they might, actually, even have accumulator replacement. Sorry, I am 30 miles away from mine...

post #42 of 505 Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
post #43 of 505 Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
New TN User

Exclamation Any thoughts on my 2008 TCH VSC Trouble?

I have a 2008 TCH with 53K miles and the VSC warning light, brake light and several others first appeared on a cold morning during a cross country trip from CA to NC. On this particular morning the temp. was about 20 degrees and just as we were preparing to leave the Flagstaff, AZ area all of these warning lights appeared. The local dealer diagnosed and found code 0177-09 for a misfired ambient temp. relay. Since they didn't have the part in stock they cleared the code and joked that since the car had just been shipped from Guam, the car probably was not used to the unusually cold temp and that it may never happen again. So we drove another 2200 miles to NC without any sign of the problem returning, thinking we were in the clear.
Well, about a week later in Raleigh the same warnings began intermittently appearing and going off. However, this time we noticed a slight pulsation in the brakes after the lights would go off. It felt like the rotors needed machining. The dealer in Raleigh, was unable to find any codes and told us the rotors needed turning. Imagine that! So I took them to my mechanic to do the work, but problem persisted. Over the past week the brake pulsations increased and we returned to the same dealer. This time the VSC warning light was on when we arrived and the dealer recorded code C1391, abnormal pressure inside the accumulator. The fix, a new accumulator, with parts labor and tax just under $2700. Now I don't know what to do or who to believe. Any thoughts?

KA from Raleigh.
post #44 of 505 Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
New TN User

Exclamation Almost the identical VSC issue morphed out of control

I have a 2008 TCH with 53K miles and the VSC warning light, brake light and several others first appeared on a cold morning during a cross country trip from CA to NC. On this particular morning the temp. was about 20 degrees and just as we were preparing to leave the Flagstaff, AZ area all of these warning lights appeared. The local dealer diagnosed and found code 0177-09 for a misfired ambient temp. relay. Since they didn't have the part in stock they cleared the code and joked that since the car had just been shipped from Guam, the car probably was not used to the unusually cold temp and that it may never happen again. So we drove another 2200 miles to NC without any sign of the problem returning, thinking we were in the clear.
Well, about a week later in Raleigh the same warnings began intermittently appearing and going off. However, this time we noticed a slight pulsation in the brakes after the lights would go off. It felt like the rotors needed machining. The dealer in Raleigh, was unable to find any codes and told us the rotors needed turning. Imagine that! So I took them to my mechanic to do the work, but problem persisted. Over the past week the brake pulsations increased and we returned to the same dealer. This time the VSC warning light was on when we arrived and the dealer recorded code C1391, abnormal pressure inside the accumulator. The fix, a new ABS accumulator- with parts labor and tax just under $2700- because the part is not under warranty- only up to 3/36000! Seems like it should be since this is a common issue with TCH's.
Now I don't know what to do or who to believe. Any thoughts? Ive rerad below that some with higher mileage TCH's had this issue covered under warranty. I definitley can not afford a repair of this magnitude, especially on a car with 53K. Any tips on how I can do the same?

KA from Raleigh.
post #45 of 505 Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Official TN Member

I have had it once and the car would not budge. Gave it 5 minutes and restarted and it was ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid