check hybrid system and vcs - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 505 Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry VSC Error C1391 Failure of ABS Control Module

I am driving down a local street in my 2007 Toy Camry Hybrid(TCH) with 61,906 miles and up pops the ABS failure light, BRAKE and warning icons. This car has had an easy life driving around town and regular service.

This core VSC/ABS brake control module apparently has failed according to two Toyota Dealers. Error Code C1391 apparently is definitive. Replacement cost at a Toyota dealer ranges from $1950 to $2450. From what I "heard", the labor is around $250, the Module the balance.

What is going on here? This type of part should not be failing at these low miles. ABS has been around for decades. This is Toyota branded equipment, Toyota should take proactive measures to address this type of failure. This is a Toyota embarrassment.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 505 Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
New TN User

A third Toyota Dealer confirmed the same diagnosis code 1391. Cost this time just avout 2000. Toyota should really step up on this issue since its clearly a problem.
post #48 of 505 Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
New TN User

Camry 2007 ABS Accumulator C1391 Failure

Two dealer service departments diagnosed C1391 as a "leaky" ABS accumulator. This premature failure should not be happening at this young car. What is the happening with these failures? What is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 505 Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
New TN User

Angry bluecamry C1391 Woes I feel your pain

Yep- I feel your pain! Just had my 2008 TCH with 53K repaired for the same exact issue. First dealer quote was almost $2700. Second dealer quote, $2100. I felt I had to have the repair since I noticed a pulsating in the brakes was accompanying the VSC warning light, which was pretty much on constantly at this point. I noticed the pulsating worsening daily. It felt like warped rotors but I knew it was related to the VSC issue. So I bit the bullet and charged the repair on my cc since I could not afford it. The dealer ordered the part but required me to take a loaner and leave the car with them if they were to order the part. I guess they didn't want me to go home and realize how insane this is and change my mind. To my surprise the next morning about 11 am they called me to come pick up the car. They had received the part and repaired that quickly.
One week post repair and everything is perfect again- no lights, warnings or pulsations, just a smooth operating THC.
Interestingly, some of the "standard" TCH noises we became accustomed to over the last few years are now absent. The car is much quieter. However, this only makes me more angry! Why?
The new ABS actuator pump assembly used to repair the car is not the original one that was on the vehicle. Toyota figured out that this part was failing. Toyota has reengineered this part for one reason- they new this part was prone to premature failure. The problem is they dont want to recall such an expensive part along with the stigma that would accompany this issue. The consumer's problem is unless it fails within the 3/36000 or you purchase an extended warranty you are stuck with the $2000+ bill.
I am now preparing the entire package to send to Toyota Corp. in hopes of reimbursement. We shall see.
KA
post #50 of 505 Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
New TN User

Camry Hybrid ABS "Actuator" Premature Failure (C1391)

KA:

I appreciate your observations and commentary about the failure of the core component Anti Lock Brake System (ABS) accumulator component. The failure of this $2500 core part in a modern vehicle with low miles definitely raises my "eyebrows". It is distinct to me because I perceive it as a premature catastrophic failure, not just the wear out or a part that needs more routine maintenance. Premature catastrophic failures should not happen in a Toyota car. I would agree with you to formally approach Toyota corporation with your concerns. I am still in the process of figuring out how to proceed.
post #51 of 505 Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
New TN User

USA 2007 Toyota ABS Actuator Failure-error code C1391

So it is a month later now after the ABS actuator failure on our 2007 Camry Hybrid. We visited the service manager of the local Toyota dealer where the car and our other Toyotas have been serviced over the past 20 years. We had our review of the situation, then he directed us to call the National Toyota Customer Care center in California. We got thru after a short hold and reviewed our feelings and expectations to address the failure of this actuator part. Then the service center staff on the phone spoke to the local service manager for a while.
They agreed to work out an offer to address our concerns. Toyota customer care proposed to absorb 50% of the cost of repair. We accepted this proposal. Toyota later sent us a check for about $1000. The balance of about $1000 was paid for by us.

The part was delivered over night, installed in a morning of shop time. All is well.

Rick
post #52 of 505 Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
New TN User

Same VSC/no brakes problem on my Camry Hybrid this week

I had the exact problem this week: I was driving on my block (thank God I was going slowly!) and tried to brake at the stop sign...only to have the brakes fail and the VSC light come on. I had the car towed the next day to Toyota Berkeley, because the brakes still weren't working and the VSC and brake light were still on...but of course the service folks "couldn't see any problem" and say the vehicle is working fine, so I might as well take it home. No codes in the memory, and worse, an implication that I was making this stuff up. (Customer service guy said, "The VSC lights come on all the time -- that's no big deal." No brakes on my car are evidently no problem for him.)

I have called the Toyota customer care number (800-331-4331) as suggested elsewhere to get a case number and to record this problem with corporate. I just went back to Toyota Berkeley to get them to take another look at the car based on the number of similar problems I found reported online with various Toyotas. I doubt anything will be done, but I suspect more people than a few have actually had this problem. This will be my last Toyota -- with all the problems in recent years, they are no longer a safe bet.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosannems For This Useful Post:
jcoop (05-09-2012)
post #53 of 505 Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This to me, is a grave problem. It is, to say the least, is a safety issue that Toyota must address before it causes somebody to get hurt or worse, get into a really bad accident. Toyota should address this reight away and could result in a factory recall.

Please keep us updated on what came of the customer care report with Toyota corporate?

Ray
Long Island, New York

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE 1966 Shelby 427S/C Cobra1966 Ford GT40 (CAV)

2007 Nissan Murano LE
1967 Austin Mini Cooper S
post #54 of 505 Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
What is VSC ?

So you're saying you had no brakes ?

Could you not take pic with cell phone while this light is on ?
post #55 of 505 Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
New TN User

Take a picture of the VSC light when this happens, majority of us have camera-phones. You could make toyota liable for damages if the dealer didn't take any action upon showing the proof of the malfunction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2007 Camry Hybrid DIY
post #56 of 505 Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
rosannems - What year is your TCH?
post #57 of 505 Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
New TN User

I got almost a similar problem with my 2010 TCH and dealer replaced “Stroke Sensor” to fix my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to ewew5087 For This Useful Post:
bnbparker (10-17-2012)
post #58 of 505 Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
New TN User

Thanks, Ewew5087, for lead on Stroke Sensor -- I will let the dealership know that might be something to check. Calling Toyota Customer Care and getting a case number helped get the action going. The dealership is now doing extensive testing of my car and checking with Toyota's worldwide databases to see if they can come up with a solution. They had a master technician drive the car yesterday and this morning, but of course it didn't present any problems. Ugh. But hopefully, they will turn up something and I will keep you posted.
post #59 of 505 Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
New TN User

Exactly the same problems!

My 2007 TCH has exactly the same two problems! The difference is that the water pump failed first and yesterday the Check VSC warning came on. I took it to the dealer and they also said that the ABS needs replacement.

Toyota should cover these two parts, with so many people reporting exactly the same problem, and the failures occur at the mileage (mine is now about 68k), these have to be design problems.
post #60 of 505 Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2007 TCH ABS Accumulator same problem

Well it seems like a bunch of others seem to have the same problem I have. My Check VSC System display came on with all the Brake lights. I'm quoted a ABS Accumulator replacement will cost $3K.
When I reported flaky brake behavior (pulsing at a standstill and noises) @ 78K Toyota said nothing was wrong with my brakes. My car was just out of extended warranty. Now at 86K miles - the failure occurs. I'm pretty easy on my car and brakes so it is unreal to have an ABS failure on a 5 yr old car.

First thing I did was call the Service department. I was told it might just be the sensors and I could still drive it. I didn't listen to them and I'm glad - something just seemed wrong with that advice - after all the brakes just seemed to be pulsing all the time. I just can't imagine what would have happened if I let this go for a few days when my car was leaking brake fluid.

We spoke to Toyota in California and reported the problem. We also spoke to the local dealership and they will cover half the cost. For this type of problem - that is the LEAST they can do. Now that I know others have reported this same issue - I feel like they should fully cover it.

Coming from a family that owns all Toyota Hybrids - I'm pretty upset. No one in our family that owns a Prius has EVER had this problem.

This part is clearly defective and I don't care the cost of the darn part - my kids lives mean something and having working brakes when you live on a very large hill is mandatory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid