check hybrid system and vcs - Page 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 505 Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomoto View Post
Folks, this was nearly a YEAR AGO! I'm sure he's either had it repaired or moved on.

Not that it matters now but my money would have been a failed inverter coolant pump. I've noticed it's a somewhat common failure on other, older hybrids. The good news is it's not a real expensive repair. The bad news is it's like a timing belt in that it can fail without warning but when it does the car goes into limp mode to give you time to get to a safe stopping point.

With the car in ready mode, open up the lid of the hybrid coolant tank and check for agitation/flow. If none, the pump is bad.
Looks like if the electric inverter coolant pump went out, you should see a "HYBRID SYSTEM OVERHEAT" message. The manual says to stop the car in a safe place and turn off the AC. Check for any steam coming out from under the hood if not try to restart the system. Check to see if the cooling fans are operating, if not call your toyota dealer. If the fans are operating wait until the rightmost segment of the engine coolant 'temperature display' "H" stops flashing and returns to a normal display. Then stop the hybrid system.

Could be here they are first talking about the hybrid system cooling then the engine overheating. The earlier Camry versions should be very similar to our present models.

This info is on page 465 in the XLE TCH Manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 505 Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Just curious, where is the "radiator" for the liquid hybrid cooling system?

'13 Avalon XLE Hybrid

Last edited by TAH Owner; 09-01-2012 at 12:52 PM.
post #78 of 505 Old 09-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camry hybrid driver View Post
Just curious, where is the "radiator" for the liquid hybrid cooling system?
It's in front of the radiator at the top. You can't see it unless you remove the plastic covers.
The Following User Says Thank You to firepa63 For This Useful Post:
TAH Owner (09-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 505 Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I did not have the warning back on again. The car is now at 127,000 miles. The spark plugs were changed at 85,000 miles.
post #80 of 505 Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Official TN Member

Interesting.

While doing a project on my 08 this weekend, I disconnected the 12V battery for several hours. On my very next drive, I got several warnings at my first stop leaving my neighborhood (check hybrid system, red exclamation mark, check vsc, abs light and there may have been others). I returned home to check things out under the hood (found nothing), powered back up, and only the check hybrid system message remained. I cancelled it with my ultra-gauge and none have reappeared since.

Doug

08 TCH Leather, JBL, Tint, Moonroof, Homelink, Sirus
10 Prius III, Leather, Solar, Nav, JBL (sold)

Last edited by fotomoto; 09-05-2012 at 08:20 AM.
post #81 of 505 Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjan View Post
I did not have the warning back on again. The car is now at 127,000 miles. The spark plugs were changed at 85,000 miles.
I see your original post was almost a year ago. Evidently the new spark plugs fixed your alert message. I decided to look around for other causes for the check hybrid system alert.

1. press the display button so the MID will show the Energy Monitor. (battery and tire) Make sure the battery shows a 15% or higher charge. If it will charge to 80% this should show the traction battery is ok.

2. A low charged or weak 12 volt battery in the trunk can also activate the VSC and check hybrid system alerts. Best to let the car sit overnight, then using a dc voltmeter check across the terminals to see if it reads 12 volts. A cheap digital meter may read more accurate. With the engine running it should read about 14 volts dc or slightly above that.

The auto stores sell a power outlet indicator consisting of led colored lights showing basically if the 12 volt battery is good. Some may have the lights plus a voltage reading.

3. running out of gas can also activate these alerts. To reset, remove the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery to reset the hybrid system.
post #82 of 505 Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Interesting.

While doing a project on my 08 this weekend, I disconnected the 12V battery for several hours. On my very next drive, I got several warnings at my first stop leaving my neighborhood (check hybrid system, red exclamation mark, check vsc, abs light and there may have been others). I returned home to check things out under the hood (found nothing), powered back up, and only the check hybrid system message remained. I cancelled it with my ultra-gauge and none have reappeared since.
Your alerts when disconnecting and reconnecting the 12 volt battery may be normal as it resets the whole system.
post #83 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 AM
2007 TCH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2007 TCH "Check Hybrid System" HV Battery code P0A7F?

So yesterday I'm sitting in my 2007 TCH in the parking lot at work and 'ding', the "check engine" light comes on with a "Check Hybrid System" message. I immediately dive it to the dealer, it drives a bit sluggish but ok. Today the dealer says it has a code P0A7F. I may have misunderstood as I can't find anything on this code. They tell me it is the Hybrid Battery reporting a couple of cells not holding a charge completely, like 17V and 16.9V, and the Hybrid Battery needs to be replaced ($4,090.02 for the battery and $252 for labor). So much for the price of batteries ever coming down. Earlier this year they replaced the ABS Accumulator, code C1391, and water pump (>$3,000.00) and a few days ago the A/C Evap. Coil (>$2,000.00) followed by the A/C Blower Motor ($185.00, dealer felt sorry for me and paid the labor). The Hybrid Battery is on backorder and is expected in a couple of weeks. They cleared the message and I am able to drive it until the battery comes in.
Since it has 118,000 miles and no warranty I figure I'm toast. Then the service manager contacted Toyota and to their credit and my great relief they agreed to pay for the battery if I pay the installation (YES!).
Almost all of my driving is highway/tollway here in Houston where it gets pretty hot, so maybe that contributed to the problem(s). I'm the original owner and have serviced this car on schedule and only by the dealer where I bought it new. I'm guessing they will want to take a closer look at the battery failure and I'm considering switching to a basic Camry or even Corolla. My budget can't handle more maintenance surprises on this TCH and I need a car that will go 200k+ without breaking the bank on maintenance.
post #84 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow! Good to see they are covering the battery for you. I'm quite happy with my 2012 SE I4, aside from the ugly 7th gen rear end tail light design. If you have any questions come visit us at the non-hybrid forum.

2012 Camry I4 SE
Toyota Owner's Manual PDFs
If my post helped you, then thank you for the thank you.
post #85 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Official TN Member

Thanks for posting the info. I'm glad TMC is backing you up on the battery, but the other items concern me, too. You've spent more on this 5 yo car than I did on my 2002 Camry SE! It sounds like fixing anything on the hybrid is costly!

'12 TCH XLE, HDD Nav, Moonroof,BSM,Leather,MF, Sandy Beach Metallic, combined mpg{miles/gals}=40.5 (30 fill-ups)

post #86 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Official TN Member

I'm not happy to hear your report T. Not that it matters now but YES battery prices have come down:

http://www.mytoyotapartsstore.com/in...=26&type=parts

I get the feeling your dealer has determined you're an "open wallet" from your previous repairs. For example, the actuator can be found on the same website above for $1700 (still stupid high IMO) so it seems they've been padding their profits with you.

Again, sorry to hear all this. I'm not trying to rub salt in an old wound.

Doug

post #87 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Official TN Member

Googling that code with a zero as the second digit brings up the warning "14 Volt Power Module Internal Temperature Too High".

Are you still on the original 12V battery in your 07?

Found a good link for the code that, unfortunately, says bad hybrid battery:

See post #5 here http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...i-codes-28062/

Doug

Last edited by fotomoto; 09-08-2012 at 10:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotomoto For This Useful Post:
tdougher (09-08-2012)
post #88 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I'm not happy to hear your report T. Not that it matters now but YES battery prices have come down:

http://www.mytoyotapartsstore.com/in...=26&type=parts
Wow....so if you buy the part on this site can you take it to a dealer and have them install it for the cost of labor?

'12 TCH XLE, HDD Nav, Moonroof,BSM,Leather,MF, Sandy Beach Metallic, combined mpg{miles/gals}=40.5 (30 fill-ups)

post #89 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
ahmmm..

http://compare.ebay.com/like/4003180...Types&var=sbar

http://www.re-involt.com/

and page 15 here:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...vdisman2nd.pdf

tells you how to remove hybrid battery step by step.

Oh, and dump your dealer. They should be called Dairy Queens for milking you for about the cost of the vehicle by now.

post #90 of 505 Old 09-08-2012, 09:45 PM
2007 TCH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the links fotomoto. That is the best list of OBD codes I have seen and the parts prices are very good too. You may be right that the dealer sees me as an "open wallet", no offense taken. One of the few concerns I had buying a 1st gen TCH was that repairs pretty much had to be done at the dealer. I don't mind doing traditional mechanical repairs but trying to diagnose and properly repair a hybrid is another thing. I'm sure the situation has changed since '06 when I bought this car. I will be leaving this dealer as soon as the HV Battery is in. Oh, and yes, my TCH is still on the original 12V Auxillary Battery.

Last edited by tdougher; 09-08-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid