check hybrid system and vcs - Page 7 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 505 Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
dealer will not install parts from outside. neither shop will.

you welcome. was "nice" of fotomoto to NOT credit me for that post with DTC codes. and it took me several days to pull it all together.

what I was trying to say was - traction batteries are not that expensive. you can get them off salvage yards, has to be front end damage, for around $400. then, any friendly car electrician should be able to drop it in for you. the way it is, you need to rid of that car asap. it's blood sucker. I ran quick summary of your expenses, it's equeal to market car value and closing on exceeding it in repairs. that car IS NOT A KEEPER.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 505 Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
dealer will not install parts from outside. neither shop will.

you welcome. was "nice" of fotomoto to NOT credit me for that post with DTC codes. and it took me several days to pull it all together.
Thanks for the comment about the dealer and outside parts. But if they won't install outside parts, then they have the right to charger you whatever they wish. And apparently they wish to milk their customers. I wonder if / what the warranty is for a replacement battery? Probably 90 days or some similar BS.

Are the codes at that site valid for the 2012 TCH too? I would think so since the post is dated this month. Also, is the port just under the dash like it was on my 2002?

'12 TCH XLE, HDD Nav, Moonroof,BSM,Leather,MF, Sandy Beach Metallic, combined mpg{miles/gals}=40.5 (30 fill-ups)

post #93 of 505 Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:

Huh? I specifically linked YOUR thread and YOUR specific post. It's not like I did a copy/paste of it here as mine or something. Sheesh. That time of the month?

THANKS! for posting it here too.

Doug

08 TCH Leather, JBL, Tint, Moonroof, Homelink, Sirus
10 Prius III, Leather, Solar, Nav, JBL (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 505 Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM
New TN User

New taillights -> check VSC light

I have a 2009 TCH and after needing to replace a tail light I decided to replace the tail lights with lights from a 2010-2011 TCH. It was completely plug and play and everything fit and worked just fine. However I now intermittently have a problem with the CHECK VSC warning, and the ABS / trac lights coming on. I had Toyota scan the codes and it came back as a tail light problem. My question is: is there anything I can do to keep this warning from coming on? Anyone know how a change in tail lights could cause this? Is it a better idea to just switch back to the original tails? I don't see how this could make the engine throw codes, as they're both LED tails with the same wiring harness. Thanks!
post #95 of 505 Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Official TN Member

Did you check the wiring for any possible chaffing which could cause a ground?
post #96 of 505 Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
pull ECM fuse out overnight. maybe it'll work. doubt though. post codes here, please.

post #97 of 505 Old 09-15-2012, 02:45 PM
New TN User

The wiring all looks good. Toyota didn't give me the codes when I asked. They said there were like 8 false codes, and that they needed to order a tail lamp switch or
Something of the sort. I've searched this and found this pretty common when switching to LED lights on scions, and that a resistor is needed, but since I'm going from LED to LED I wouldn't think
That was necessary.
post #98 of 505 Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I had a front side marker light go out in the '94 Corolla I had. I replaced it with a bulb from Autozone. I would turn on the parking lights and I found sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't.

I bought a bulb from the toyota dealer and it worked from then on.

About your tail lights, could be one led bulb pulls more or less current than the one for your year model camry. I would try a exact replacement part from the toyota dealer or some oem toyota online parts supply.
post #99 of 505 Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
to whitesands point. wife has RX300 that keeps throwing "bad light" warning on the dash. little yellow car with one light "shining".
I have ALL lights working fine. as in - ALL - checked multiple times. had ECM reset. yet, light's still there. but indeed, I bought replacement bulbs from O'Reilly. there might be some point to it.

post #100 of 505 Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
to whitesands point. wife has RX300 that keeps throwing "bad light" warning on the dash. little yellow car with one light "shining".
I have ALL lights working fine. as in - ALL - checked multiple times. had ECM reset. yet, light's still there. but indeed, I bought replacement bulbs from O'Reilly. there might be some point to it.
When I had my TV shop when I was young, I found some brands of TV's had to have their oem tubes in some circuits and if not, it would not work right. Aftermarket parts and not always the same as the OEM's. I have found that out more then once on replacing car bulbs.
post #101 of 505 Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
When I had my TV shop when I was young, I found some brands of TV's had to have their oem tubes in some circuits and if not, it would not work right. Aftermarket parts and not always the same as the OEM's. I have found that out more then once on replacing car bulbs.
Kinda like generic drugs. Some different after effects?

post #102 of 505 Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH2O View Post
Kinda like generic drugs. Some different after effects?
Good Point..
post #103 of 505 Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I know BMW X5s are known for throwing out false messages like "check brake/tail light". Those have circuit boards mounted in the tail light housings that melt over time and cause all kinds of problems (brake light out one day, working the next, red brake light flashing with yellow turn signal on one side, false out messages, etc). electrical issues are often simple, but impossible to find.

on another note, just because a bulb fits in the socket and is the same size/shape doesnt mean its the right one. usually the single/dual filament bulbs are the most mixed up, and its hard to check brake lights yourself (i wedge my shoe under the pedal and run back to look before it pops out).

also can't believe anything to do with a taillight could push a VSC light. yikes.
post #104 of 505 Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdougher View Post
So yesterday I'm sitting in my 2007 TCH in the parking lot at work and 'ding', the "check engine" light comes on with a "Check Hybrid System" message. I immediately dive it to the dealer, it drives a bit sluggish but ok. Today the dealer says it has a code P0A7F. I may have misunderstood as I can't find anything on this code. They tell me it is the Hybrid Battery reporting a couple of cells not holding a charge completely, like 17V and 16.9V, and the Hybrid Battery needs to be replaced ($4,090.02 for the battery and $252 for labor). So much for the price of batteries ever coming down. Earlier this year they replaced the ABS Accumulator, code C1391, and water pump (>$3,000.00) and a few days ago the A/C Evap. Coil (>$2,000.00) followed by the A/C Blower Motor ($185.00, dealer felt sorry for me and paid the labor). The Hybrid Battery is on backorder and is expected in a couple of weeks. They cleared the message and I am able to drive it until the battery comes in.
Since it has 118,000 miles and no warranty I figure I'm toast. Then the service manager contacted Toyota and to their credit and my great relief they agreed to pay for the battery if I pay the installation (YES!).
Almost all of my driving is highway/tollway here in Houston where it gets pretty hot, so maybe that contributed to the problem(s). I'm the original owner and have serviced this car on schedule and only by the dealer where I bought it new. I'm guessing they will want to take a closer look at the battery failure and I'm considering switching to a basic Camry or even Corolla. My budget can't handle more maintenance surprises on this TCH and I need a car that will go 200k+ without breaking the bank on maintenance.
I'm also in Houston and am the original owner of a TCH 2007. I'm sorry to hear of all your problems. I have never had a problem other than replacing the water pump. It's really the best car I've ever owned. I have 84,000 miles on it. It worries me about the battery going bad. I do have extended warranty to 100,000 miles , 7 years, but it wouild really suck to be saddled with a $4K bill.
post #105 of 505 Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
I'm also in Houston and am the original owner of a TCH 2007. I'm sorry to hear of all your problems. I have never had a problem other than replacing the water pump. It's really the best car I've ever owned. I have 84,000 miles on it. It worries me about the battery going bad. I do have extended warranty to 100,000 miles , 7 years, but it wouild really suck to be saddled with a $4K bill.
If it fails it will not cost 4k unless you go to a shady dealer. If in the rare chance it fails look at the links provided in this thread to find a much cheaper battery.

Before buying my car I read battery threads at Priuschat and it appeared that most failed or showed signs of failing at 200k or more miles. The way I see it in 8-10 years batteries will be a lot cheaper since there will be so many more hybrids on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid