Hybrid 12v battery jumping - Page 12 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 240 Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 AM
2007 TCH owner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ukrkoz, still have no guts to disconnect the battery? try disconnecting it and trust me nothing will happen bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolnshibuya For This Useful Post:
Ron AKA (01-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 240 Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Camry won't start

Hello group. I have searched the threads to try and avoid asking a question that may have already been answered but no luck, so here it goes:
I have a 2008 Camry with 150,000 miles. We had a really cold night (-10) and when I went to the garage to start my car everything seemed ok, pushed the power button, car started to turn over then stopped. I shut it off and repeated the process, again the ready light came on and the engine tried to turn over, then stopped. Now the ready light does not come on at all. I tested the 12v battery and it reads 12.6 volts. Is that ok or is it to weak? Thanks everyone!
post #168 of 240 Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
1st thing to come to mind is bad battery. As in - drained. Charge her and I think it'll fire right away.
2. drained traction battery. Tough, it's a tow to dealership, you can not charge that one at home.
3. Corroded battery terminals/poles. Resulting in high resistance and weak 12V supply.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
Patrick772 (01-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 240 Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
This will work for Camry also:

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
Patrick772 (01-09-2014)
post #170 of 240 Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick772 View Post
Hello group. I have searched the threads to try and avoid asking a question that may have already been answered but no luck, so here it goes:
I have a 2008 Camry with 150,000 miles. We had a really cold night (-10) and when I went to the garage to start my car everything seemed ok, pushed the power button, car started to turn over then stopped. I shut it off and repeated the process, again the ready light came on and the engine tried to turn over, then stopped. Now the ready light does not come on at all. I tested the 12v battery and it reads 12.6 volts. Is that ok or is it to weak? Thanks everyone!
The 12.6 volts on the 12 volt is good. You should remove the terminals and clean them to make sure there is a good connection. Or, are all your lights/headlights bright? If so, then you would appear to be good on the 12 volt side. As a last check you could get someone to watch the 12 volts when you try a start to see if it holds at 12.6 or sags. If it sags you could try charging the 12 volt. Do not charge at a rate over 5 amps though.

This said, what info you have given tends to suggest the 12 volt is good, and that only leaves the 245 volt high voltage battery as a problem. I can't recommend a safe way to test that voltage, and if you have done all the checks on the 12 volt you may have to call Toyota to come and charge the high voltage battery, or more likely tow it to a Toyota dealer to have them charge it there. It takes a special charger.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron AKA For This Useful Post:
Patrick772 (01-09-2014)
post #171 of 240 Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Extreme DIYer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
To me, these are classic symptoms of a weak 12V battery. Charge it and try it again. Report the results back here.
The Following User Says Thank You to usnavystgc For This Useful Post:
Patrick772 (01-09-2014)
post #172 of 240 Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
New TN User

I have an update:
I put a charger on the 12v battery, on 2v setting and left it for a while. Before charging my elcheapo mutimeter showed 12.6v. After charging a while I check the voltage and it was at 13.6. I reattached the battery terminals and gave it a try...success!! She started right up. I think i will leave it on the low charge overnight to top off the battery. Thanks all for the help!!!!
post #173 of 240 Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
I have an update:
I put a charger on the 12v battery, on 2v setting and left it for a while. Before charging my elcheapo mutimeter showed 12.6v. After charging a while I check the voltage and it was at 13.6. I reattached the battery terminals and gave it a try...success!! She started right up. I think i will leave it on the low charge overnight to top off the battery. Thanks all for the help!!!!
You dodged a bullet. A multimeter is cheap. A new HV battery would cost $3000-4000. A new 12V from the dealer can be as much as $400.

If your battery is going down, it may be on its last legs, so you may want to do some research on a new battery. I wouldn't recommend the Toyota one due to price. Optima make one for the Prius which will work. It has a vent connection, but is a touch smaller than the OEM Camry one. Still it will work.

If you are OK with not venting the battery, they make a bit larger one, which also should fit. Going from memory but I believe it is the 34 size in blue or yellow, but the yellow has a better warranty.

Still I would not panic yet. Try a long slow recharge and see if it stays up.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #174 of 240 Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
I have an update:

Told you. You welcome. Clean terminals AND replace battery. Unless you have issue with battery not properly charged off traction battery.

post #175 of 240 Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM
New TN User

Have your battery and charging system tested before you start randomly replacing things. What is wrong may be something different than it appears.
post #176 of 240 Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnvalley View Post
Have your battery and charging system tested before you start randomly replacing things. What is wrong may be something different than it appears.
I am not suggesting replacing anything except the inaccurate voltmeter. That said the 12 volt battery is highly unlikely to last the life of the car, and they are expensive from Toyota. It is a good time to make a plan just in case, as they are not a straightforward to replace battery. There is also no need to pay Toyota to test the charging system. It would be a waste of time and money to go anywhere else as the charging system on a hybrid is very different. Plus with an accurate voltmeter you can tell with close to 100% certainty where the problem is. If your voltage is low when the car is turned on, then it is the charging system. If it is low after sitting overnight before you start it, then most likely the battery. The symptoms in this case is lack of charge in cold weather. That is typically when a battery reveals it is starting to get weak. If that is true, and there is no more cold weather, then you may get by until next winter, and there is no rush to replace it. But, it could also die quickly and you need a plan.

In any case here is a post I made after testing my 2012 when it was new. I recorded these numbers so I could tell what a new system is like, compared to a failing one. To the OP it is worth while once you get a good meter to compare your readings to the ones in the post. Will give you a real good idea what is going on.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #177 of 240 Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Almost 6 years on a starting battery? I would change it even if it appeared to be working perfectly simply because of how old it is.

2013 Camry hybrid LE magnetic gray
Falcon CO
The Following User Says Thank You to Randyincolo For This Useful Post:
Patrick772 (01-11-2014)
post #178 of 240 Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Official TN Member

Your 12v. battery is in the final stages of life. You can screw around with battery tenders and jumper cables and all that ... but screwing around is all you'll be doing. You're gonna get out somewhere and get stranded. Get a new battery. And disregard the baloney about $400 batteries ... I don't know where that comes from. All you need is a 12v. battery with sufficient cold cranking amps [CCA]. I'm not shiiling for WalMart ... I refuse to enter their stores. But here's a sample a battery that meets your needs and your car's specs:

WalMart Everstart MAXX-24N
750 CCA
$99.97

[
post #179 of 240 Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Senior TN Member

The reason Toyota uses a special gel or AGM battery is because it is located in an essentially sealed trunk, rather than under the hood and well vented in a conventional vehicle. Standard lead acid batteries give off hydrogen when charging and you could create an explosive gas mixture in your trunk. Since Toyota is a favourite target of ambulance chasers, they decided to use a belt and suspenders approach. First they use a battery that should not gas at all when charging. However it could under extreme conditions, so they also provide a vent on the battery and direct any vented gases outside the trunk to the atmosphere.

I think I could talk myself into going with a non gassing battery (AGM) without a vent, but I wouldn't have the nerve to go with a standard battery that gases and also have no external vent.

In any case that is why they use the battery they use. Also I consider 6 years to be a good life for a standard battery. However a standard battery in a conventional vehicle has to supply the fully starter motor cranking amps even at low temperatures. It goes through a heavy discharge and recharge cycle every time you start the vehicle, especially in winter. The hybrid battery on the other hand is a premium AGM and has no starting current load. In short it has a pretty easy life. They really shouldn't fail as quickly.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron AKA For This Useful Post:
Patrick772 (01-11-2014)
post #180 of 240 Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerclose50 View Post
Your 12v. battery is in the final stages of life. You can screw around with battery tenders and jumper cables and all that ... but screwing around is all you'll be doing. You're gonna get out somewhere and get stranded. Get a new battery. And disregard the baloney about $400 batteries ... I don't know where that comes from. All you need is a 12v. battery with sufficient cold cranking amps [CCA]. I'm not shiiling for WalMart ... I refuse to enter their stores. But here's a sample a battery that meets your needs and your car's specs:

WalMart Everstart MAXX-24N
750 CCA
$99.97
You are so wrong on so many levels. NEVER use a standard 12 volt battery in the trunk of a Camry Hybrid. There’s a reason Toyota went with a more expensive battery.

1. The fumes from a standard 12 volt battery will end up corroding everything in the trunk as it cannot be vented. It could even be a hazard to anyone riding in the car if the fumes get into the cabin
2. Cold cranking amps don't matter, and there is no starter connected to the 12 volt battery. The engine is started from the High-voltage Hybrid battery.
3. The charge/discharge cycle on the Hybrid 12 volt battery is much deeper than a non Hybrid. This will result in the new battery failing much sooner than expected. This could also result in excessive gas production (see #1)

This doesn’t mean you have to go to the dealer, but at the very least, you need a battery that can be vented to the outside to avoid these problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nutzo For This Useful Post:
Dangerclose50 (01-11-2014), Patrick772 (01-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid