Hybrid 12v battery jumping - Page 14 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 240 Old 07-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Other possible reasons:

1. Repeated short trips causing the 12V not getting charged back up and thus slowly going down on charge with each trip.
2. Possible loose or rusted connection of the negative cable to the chassis.

I would check the cable connection in 2 above and charge it overnight with a battery charger that doesn't exceed the recharge specs given in the manual. If the battery revives this way, you are probably fine for some time but if 1 above is the reason, you would want to put it on the charger periodically so it doesn't remain at a low SOC and sulphate or you don't run into a dead battery again.

If you find the battery still acting up, apart from getting another OEM battery from Toyota, another choice is the Exide Edge AGM batteries. They all come with the vent port on each side (switchable using the provided cap), but make sure to request they include the "elbow" so you can connect the vent tube to the battery using that elbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 240 Old 07-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Official TN Member

One precaution I take both on my Prius and the TCH is to switch off ALL electricals including the radio, A/C, head lights, interior lights, etc., and then further remove my foot from the brake pedal so the rear brake lights are off BEFORE I switch off the car. This way none of the electrical load, especially of the front and rear lights transfers to the 12V on switch-off, thus conserving as much of the charge as possible. This is critical for me since my commute is 3.7 miles each way, thus barely giving back to the 12V what was taken to switch the system on. I still do every few months put the batteries on the CTEK MUS4.3 charger overnight.
post #198 of 240 Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
ok here's a tip..
The battery on my 2008 Camry died at 4 years old.
Autozone put an electric load tester on it and pronounced it fine
The main dealer did the same !

Still the Camry kept failing to start on a morning and had to be jump started off wifey's car

I bought a $3 acid tester and checked each cell. The specific gravity in Number 4 cell was VERY bad

Went back to Autozone and told him and bought a new battery. He was still insisting the battery was fine so I told him he could have it personally and sell it to a "friend"

The new battery fixed the problem and the car has been 100% ever since..

You need a $3 battery acid tester - its my favorite tool... I used to use those back in the 60's but then we went all electronic didn't we. Sometimes the old methods are the best.

2018 Model Camry LE bought September 2017..
Previous.. 2008 model V6 Camry 2GR-FE bought new November 2007.

Last edited by allserene; 07-19-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #199 of 240 Old 07-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allserene View Post
ok here's a tip..

Still the Camry kept failing to start on a morning and had to be jump started off wifey's car

I bought a $3 acid tester and checked each cell. The specific gravity in Number 4 cell was VERY bad

Went back to Autozone and told him and bought a new battery. He was still insisting the battery was fine so I told him he could have it personally and sell it to a "friend"

You need a $3 battery acid tester - its my favorite tool... I used to use those back in the 60's but then we went all electronic didn't we. Sometimes the old methods are the best.
The best way to determine if a battery is bad is to put a heavy load on it for about 15 seconds with a carbon pile. When I had my shop I used a Sun VAT 40 to "break down" a battery to roughly 9.5 volts and read the amperage it delivered. If it sustained a decent amperage it was good. If it quickly dived down to a very low amperage it was bad. Pretty cut and dried.

Checking for a bad cell is an excellent alternative when one doesn't have a carbon pile equipped instrument to check it.

Battery testers found in parts stores tend to be next to useless...

Dave - 2007 Sienna, 2012 Camry Hybrid
post #200 of 240 Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
The best way to determine if a battery is bad is to put a heavy load on it for about 15 seconds with a carbon pile. When I had my shop I used a Sun VAT 40 to "break down" a battery to roughly 9.5 volts and read the amperage it delivered. If it sustained a decent amperage it was good. If it quickly dived down to a very low amperage it was bad. Pretty cut and dried.

Checking for a bad cell is an excellent alternative when one doesn't have a carbon pile equipped instrument to check it.

Battery testers found in parts stores tend to be next to useless...
The testers that Autozone and the Toyota Main dealer were using to test my battery were pretty heavy duty kit and not retail stuff

Once the engine was running, the characteristics of the battery failure were such that the fault wasn't apparent until the battery had been standing overnight and leaking current. Autozone and the Toyota main dealer were getting full amperage and voltage readings from their electronic kit because the engine had just run for 30 minutes, but could not detect the slow current leak any more than a tire pressure gauge can detect a slow puncture......

Your equipment would not be able to detect a slow leak if the battery was delivering full amps in the specified voltage range for the specified time at the time you tested it.

Professionals don't have time to monitor batteries as they settle over a period of 24 hours, and their equipment can only produce a snapshot at a particular time.

That's one of the reasons I do all my own maintenance - professionals don't have time because time is money. They short cut all sorts of jobs like brake bleeding and not taking off the filter bleed cap on the V6 Toyota etc etc etc. If an owner can educate themselves, they can do a far better job than the pros because they have the time and the motivation to do it the long, slow, careful way

Actually the pros can be downright evasive and misleading - eg calling caliper grease "glue"

Long live youtube and toyotanation.

2018 Model Camry LE bought September 2017..
Previous.. 2008 model V6 Camry 2GR-FE bought new November 2007.
post #201 of 240 Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allserene View Post
ok here's a tip..

doesn't apply to hybrid aux battery, they are the sealed gel type, save that $3 for nearly a gallon of gas

the proximity sensors on the car is alway alive, there must be a device nearby that interfered with it and keeps the circuit awake all the time draining the battery. left the key fob close to the car (say on top floor near the garage or floors adjacent) ?

just check for signs of corrosion and/or looseness on the terminals.
post #202 of 240 Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Like I said in the original post, upon getting out of the car and shutting the door, the car did not respond to the lock command from the fob. That at least strongly indicates that there was no battery power available as soon as the car was shut off. After jumping it off the next morning, I have not had any trouble with it at all. The terminals are tight and clean, no corrosion at all.
post #203 of 240 Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Jump Start stuff.. ((It appears, that you can Jump from it!))

I have two cars, this new Camry Hybrid and an older BMW. I did some work on the BMW. The battery went very low while it sat. I put a battery charger on it. it still was not charged after along while. I thought for a moment, and said hey, I wonder if I can jump the BMW (conventional, non-hybrid, from the Camry Hybrid.)

I changed the following statement: as it appears I was wrong about jumping car with jumper cable and batteries, involving the Hybrid.

Yes..., you can jump from the Hybrid to another car. I did read you can jump to the Hybrid from another car.

Note:
I do not want to nor will I try jumping to or from the Hybrid at all. I only had a moments thought, that I want a quick jump. Then I said, hell no, I am not going to mess with my new virgin Camry Hybrid and chance any damage at all!

So, before anyone does it, to or from, take note. I did read you can jump to it. But I never looked to see where the positive and negative posts are, if any. And, if anything goes wrong, it could be a very costly mistake.

Just an FYI

BTW,
I did get my BMW started after my battery charger was left on a couple hours longer. The discharge was my fault, as the car sat along time while repairs were being done. Also, I did not disconnect the battery while the work was in progress. The battery charger is new, but not the fastest. My other battery charger was from Harbor Freight , and it blew up not long ago. The newest one is from Walmart. But, hopefully, my new 2014 Camry Hybrid will never need help.

2014.5 Camry Hybrid XLE

Last edited by retiredat44; 09-05-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: badly spelled, change wording
post #204 of 240 Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
I have two cars, this new Camry Hybrid and an older BMW. I did some work on the BMW. The battery went very low while it sat. I put a battery charger on it. it still was not charged after along while. I thought for a moment, and said hey, I wonder if I can jump the BMW (conventional, non-hybrid, from the Camry Hybrid.)

No, you cannot jump from the Hybrid to another car. I did read you can jump to the Hybrid from another car.

Note:
I do not want to nor will I try jumping to or from the Hybrid at all. I only had a moments thought, that I want a quick jump. Then I said, hell no, I am not going to mess with my new virgin Camry Hybrid and chance any damage at all!

So, before anyone does it, to or from, take note. I did read you can jump to it. But I never looked to see where the positive and negative posts are, if any. And, if anything goes wrong, it could be a very costly mistake.

Just an FYI

BTW,
I did get my BMW started after my battery charger was left on a couple hours longer. The discharge was my fault, as the car sat along time while repairs were being done. Also, I did not disconnect the battery while the work was in progress. The battery charger is new, but not the fastest. My other battery charger was from Harbor Freight , and it blew up not long ago. The newest one is from Walmart. But, hopefully, my new 2014 Camry Hybrid will never need help.
The TCH 12 volt battery is a AGM deep-cycle. It isn't a traditional 'starting battery' that's designed to supply high-amp draw. It also apparently doesn't suffer high-amp charge or discharge cycling gladly, i.e. it tends to fail after being subjected to over-rapid charge or high-amp load.

It's charged by a dedicated voltage reduction circuit that comes off the traction battery - and I would not consider that circuit to be particularly amenable to the high-amp drain a 'jump start' entails.

Now, some folks have replaced the original Panasonic battery with an aftermarket AGM Optima, which seems to be more tolerant of that sort of abuse. Even in that case, I'd take extra care - the charging circuit is $$$$ if you hose it - certainly far more $$$ than the ICE-only car's alternator...
post #205 of 240 Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

No, you cannot jump from the Hybrid to another car. I did read you can jump to the Hybrid from another car.
Yes you can jump start another car from the Hybrid. I have done it. Just make sure the TCH is on first. It's just a basic electrical circuit and people overthink this too much. No, you wouldn't want to be doing it 3 times a day, but it is fine for the occasional time when it is required. All that happens if you put too much load on it, is that the vehicle will fail to start and/or a fuse will blow. These are delicate things that need to be nursed through everything...

Last edited by adprom; 08-31-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #206 of 240 Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Senior TN Member

gen 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adprom View Post
Yes you can jump start another car from the Hybrid. I have done it. Just make sure the TCH is on first. It's just a basic electrical circuit and people overthink this too much. No, you wouldn't want to be doing it 3 times a day, but it is fine for the occasional time when it is required. All that happens if you put too much load on it, is that the vehicle will fail to start and/or a fuse will blow. These are delicate things that need to be nursed through everything...
I want to do a correction and say you can jump it, but, from Hybrid to another car, but I don't feel comfortable saying it, I prefer giving a link out to an official stand on the subject. I just don't have such a link. I was only posting my findings, coupled with caution. I just don't feel like I should ever attempt it. Not because I don't understand the process, as I have done it too many times to count, with other cars (just never a hybrid circuit.) Again, I don't want to put out anything that is wrong, and that might cause anyone any problems.

Anyways, it is interesting, as most all of us have either had to jump someone, or get a jump at sometime in their life. if someone asks me to jump them, I will regretfully say no! I have had mostly good experiences jumping others, but I had one bad done that I still get pissed about many, many years later. It is not worth the chance of destroying my Hybrid, so I will just be a jerk and say I can't, if/when the time comes. Better being a jerk than a blown up idiot.
IMHO

2014.5 Camry Hybrid XLE
post #207 of 240 Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Retired USN & Civil SVC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I jumped my Santa Fe from my HSH once and jumped my HSH twice from my Santa Fe but it would not get charged enough to hold a charge the next day until I gave it an overnight charge.

Tom
2011 Sonata Hybrid Premium
post #208 of 240 Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Well, for starters, you can put TCH into a particular mode, when engine RPMS are not controlled by ECM, but by gas pedal. Lay English, you run RPMs with gas pedal as you wish.
But this does not change the point that engine is not charging the 12V battery anyway.
I'd say, it's a crap shot. As I jumped many cars, and some need just a gentle touch, and some require donor vehicle to step hard onto gas pedal and rev engine to give jumper cables quite a boost. THAT you can not control. So you may simply drain 12V.
Knowing this car and all the computers in it, and overall princess on a pee sensitivity to anything electrical - I'd rather refrain from jumping from TCH. Why? Anything goes wrong and it's mucho mucho dinero in repairs.
Btw, negative for jumps is any solid metal piece - engine, bolts mounted to the frame, and positive is a large copper bus inside fuse box.

post #209 of 240 Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyways, it is interesting, as most all of us have either had to jump someone, or get a jump at sometime in their life. if someone asks me to jump them, I will regretfully say no! I have had mostly good experiences jumping others, but I had one bad done that I still get pissed about many, many years later. It is not worth the chance of destroying my Hybrid, so I will just be a jerk and say I can't, if/when the time comes. Better being a jerk than a blown up idiot.
IMHO
If you speak to Toyota, as some journos over in here in Aus have done, they will confirm it is absolutely fine to jump start another vehicle from the TCH. My dealer also confirmed it.

As I said, I have also done it myself.

It just isn't an issue.
post #210 of 240 Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Senior TN Member

maybe I can ask a moderator to change the name of the thread, as it seems saying no is misleading. I was being overly cautious. Now, my wording appears to be wrong, as it implies it not being true. Which was not my intent. My original intent was to say and or find out about if it is possible, if it is safe, to jump to and jump from.

Mod, maybe I can change it, but often it is not possible to change this late into the thread.. I will check now..

2014.5 Camry Hybrid XLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid