Hybrid 12v battery jumping - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
The XLE TCH manual says, The power outlet can be used for 12 V accessories that run on less than 10 A. My thinking is the 20 A portable compressor is for gas powered vehicles.

You might try calling Toyota Customer Service toll free number in California. Sometimes they are good at answering questions such as yours. A good toyota dealer service person might know the answer.

Think of sitting still with your engine off, headlights on. They draw lot of amps from the 12 volt battery. Same for the AC on, engine off, the cabin and AC cooling fan next to the radiator both pull lots of amps from that same 12 volt battery.

I don't think I would try it till finding more information from a few phone calls.
I'm not running off the 12 volt accessory port, I'm connecting directly to the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Sound good, air pressure vs gas mileage. That's easy, the more air the better your mpg. Never go above the max air pressure marked on the sidewall of your tires. Best to do your tire pressures after dusk when the tires are cool. That makes it easier to get all 4 tires at the same pressure.

For improved mpg I would suggest 40 psi cold if you have michelin's. Other brands may ride ok at 38 psi. Tires aired to 36 cold in any tire will ride really smooth if your after the best ride.
Thanks for that. I was going to get around to asking you for your recommendation. I have the 93Vs, same as you, I think. Max psi is 51 marked. My tires now read about 33/32 cold.

The boost didn't work. I think her battery is fine and something else is wrong. That was one reason I didn't want to use my car to boost hers.

'12 TCH XLE, HDD Nav, Moonroof,BSM,Leather,MF, Sandy Beach Metallic, combined mpg{miles/gals}=40.5 (30 fill-ups)

post #48 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Just talked with the service department about using an air compressor running direct off the battery. I was told as long as it is fused, no problem. I just placed the order with Amazon and will pump my tires to 40 psi cold before heading to Massachusetts this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
rjp
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQ-OC View Post

The boost didn't work. I think her battery is fine and something else is wrong. That was one reason I didn't want to use my car to boost hers.
Often a really discharged battery will not jump start using small gauge cables, regardless if it is from a portable jump starter or from a large car battery. Either get a battery charger and let her charge for a few hours, or find some heavy jumper cables and jump start off a conventional large vehicle with it's engine and alternator running. Even then it sometimes helps to connect and let her battery recover for a few minutes before attempting a start. Dead batteries draw too many amps from a small gauge cable, causing voltage drops and failed jump starts.

rj

12 Prius V Model 3
08 Prius
02 Tundra (sold Nov 2011 at 220,000 - only normal maintenance)
01 Accord (sold Dec 2011 at 217,000 - one recall tranny and rad fan)

Last edited by rjp; 09-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.
post #50 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
rjp
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Just talked with the service department about using an air compressor running direct off the battery. I was told as long as it is fused, no problem. I just placed the order with Amazon and will pump my tires to 40 psi cold before heading to Massachusetts this weekend.
http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9EGFS$300 for an air compressor? Do yourself a favor and cancel that order and buy one at Target or Walmart for way less. Most any Ac compressor will be equivalent while a low cost dc compressor will work in an emergency.

rj

12 Prius V Model 3
08 Prius
02 Tundra (sold Nov 2011 at 220,000 - only normal maintenance)
01 Accord (sold Dec 2011 at 217,000 - one recall tranny and rad fan)
post #51 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp View Post
http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automati.../dp/B000X9EGFS
$300 for an air compressor? Do yourself a favor and cancel that order and buy one at Target or Walmart for way less. Most any Ac compressor will be equivalent while a low cost dc compressor will work in an emergency.
Scratch AC, I live in an apartment.
post #52 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Often a really discharged battery will not jump start using small gauge cables, regardless if it is from a portable jump starter or from a large car battery. Either get a battery charger and let her charge for a few hours, or find some heavy jumper cables and jump start off a conventional large vehicle with it's engine and alternator running. Even then it sometimes helps to connect and let her battery recover for a few minutes before attempting a start. Dead batteries draw too many amps from a small gauge cable, causing voltage drops and failed jump starts.

Agreed. However, her battery, i do not think, was really that dead (don't think it was dead at all, in fact). She had driven the car just the day before, and the battery is 4 months old. The lights work, all stuff on the dash comes up, the engine turns over, but it just doesn't start. And it did this several times. A really dead battery would have just not done anything. Plus, I gave it a good 3 minutes of connect time before starting the engine.

The unit I bought is http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP750C-Instant-Portable-Source/dp/B004EIAA7C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_topone.

'12 TCH XLE, HDD Nav, Moonroof,BSM,Leather,MF, Sandy Beach Metallic, combined mpg{miles/gals}=40.5 (30 fill-ups)

post #53 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Official TN Member

GF got her Civic Hybrid repaired. They said there is some wire under the car that apparently had been chewed by some critter. That bad wire also killed the gas gauge too, which actually when out a few weeks ago. Better part of $450 for this, including towing.

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I got the portable booster/compressor.

post #54 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
My guess is the air compressor your ordered clips directly to the battery. Some use a 12 volt power plug which your TCH outlet which only supplies 10 amps. With the 20 amp compressor it should blow the power outlet fuse.
post #55 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Official TN Member

Just buy the regular air compressor powered from the 12v power plug. Its more than enough. I have one, and you can use it to run inflate the tires if you wish to be super kosher and check each morning. I have my own estimate as to how many extra MPGs I need add when going to fill gas once every 2 weeks or so. I simply check the pressure when cold, and whatever the pressure is at the gas station, I add enough PSI to get it from my cold reading to 38 PSI. Pressure will change with air temperature widely. From a cold night to a hot day can be 3-6 PSI easy or more. There are max 10Amp 12v units. Example: http://www.masterflowair.com/products.php these are quite cheap. If you have a good pressure gauge, you can measure by yourself for better accuracy then their analog gauge (e.g. a digital gauge).

Last edited by CamryHybrid2011; 09-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.
post #56 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
GF got her Civic Hybrid repaired. They said there is some wire under the car that apparently had been chewed by some critter. That bad wire also killed the gas gauge too, which actually when out a few weeks ago. Better part of $450 for this, including towing.

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I got the portable booster/compressor.
Glad it's fixed. Sometimes it's the simplest things that causes these problems. The chewed wire reminds me of my '94 Corolla. I went out to go to town one morning and started the engine. It sounded like a thrashing machine, vibrating and shaking the car. I immediately shut it off and raised the hood. I saw 1 and 2 inch gaps in some of the spark plug wires. I had started the engine on 2 cylinders. Living in the country field rats had ate though some of the spark plug wires. I installed a replacement set then it ran fine. We tried various things and I think it was a couple open top cans of mothballs that kept the rodents away.

The cars we bought after that uses the new coil-over-plug so no more spark plug wires to replace or worry with.
post #57 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automati.../dp/B000X9EGFS
$300 for an air compressor? Do yourself a favor and cancel that order and buy one at Target or Walmart for way less. Most any Ac compressor will be equivalent while a low cost dc compressor will work in an emergency.
That Viair compressor is a really serious well made item... not one of those pathetic cheap plastic crapjobs from Walmart or a parts store. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

EDIT: Viair also sells some less expensive (well made) compressors that would work just fine.

03 Camry - 09 XB - 07 GMC Sierra - 14 Accord Sport

Last edited by Zembonez; 09-04-2012 at 05:45 PM.
post #58 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Thanks for that. I was going to get around to asking you for your recommendation. I have the 93Vs, same as you, I think. Max psi is 51 marked. My tires now read about 33/32 cold.
I run 44 psi cold in my 93V Primacy tires. This is the first set I have bought that shows 51 psi max pressure on the sidewall. I could really tell a difference in steering and coasting when I upped them to 44 psi including a slight increase in mpg. They ride ok, but can get a little noisy on rough streets and when crossing rail road tracks.
post #59 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
That Viair compressor is a really serious well made item... not one of those pathetic cheap plastic crapjobs from Walmart or a parts store. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

EDIT: Viair also sells some less expensive (well made) compressors that would work just fine.
I went with that model as it has a 100% duty cycle. I also have a CR-V, so it will get dual use.
post #60 of 240 Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I run 44 psi cold in my 93V Primacy tires. This is the first set I have bought that shows 51 psi max pressure on the sidewall. I could really tell a difference in steering and coasting when I upped them to 44 psi including a slight increase in mpg. They ride ok, but can get a little noisy on rough streets and when crossing rail road tracks.
I fear that may be just too much for roads here in SC...I'm going to try 40 psi cold and then probably work down from there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid