Hybrid 12v battery jumping - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 240 Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Basically, the traction battery only needs enough "umph" left in it to start the gas engine (using MG1). If the battery can do that, and is healthy, the car should be able to be driven and simultaneously recharge the battery. Normally, the TCH never lets the traction battery get anywhere near that critical state of discharge. Perhaps one scenario where this might happen is if the car is out of gas and being driven solely on battery power.

Rob - 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 240 Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It's a car. I'm sure it will be just fine not being driven every now and again

I do have to ask tho, do people wander around really thinking that their vehicles are that fragile? Surely not.
post #108 of 240 Old 07-21-2013, 02:00 AM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adprom View Post
It's a car. I'm sure it will be just fine not being driven every now and again

I do have to ask tho, do people wander around really thinking that their vehicles are that fragile? Surely not.
Depends on the car. I could not leave my Honda CR-V sit for more than one week without having to jump start it. Honda equipped the 2010 CR-V with a very undersize battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Didn't drive my TCH for a month, car not turning on now

Hi guys,

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Everything was working normal before I left the country for a month.

When I came back , I tried to get into the card, the keyless entry didn't work eventhough the remote control works (The red light turns on everytime i press a button), so I opened the car with the key.

I tried turning it on and it wouldn't turn on.

I was told this could be because of the auxiliary battery dying.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Can I jump the car the battery? If so, will driving it around for an hour or two be enough to charge it? or should i take it to charge it in the dealership?

2. Do you think the battery is completely dead and needs replacement? or is it most probably a matter of charging it?

3. I asked in the dealership and they charge 450$ for a new battery and 100$ to charge it.. Do you know of any other stores that might charge it for cheaper or sell it for cheaper? Stored like Firestone, advanced auto parts and autozon carry the regular camry (non hybrid model) battery not the hybrid model auxiliary battery.

I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask a question like this but this is my first time posting a question like this on this forum

Thank you.
post #110 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The problem is virtually certain to be the 12 volt battery located under the cover on the right side in the trunk. There is load on it even when everything is shut off, so it has discharged while you were away.

I would recommend not to jump start it. The problem is if you recharge this battery too fast, you will damage it. When you jump start it, you lose control of how fast you charge it. I would buy a normal 12 volt battery charger if you do not have one. You only need a 2 amp capacity, and if you buy larger, then buy one that can be set to limit charge capacity to 2 amp or at the very most 5 amp. Then recharge your battery slowly at 2 amps or 5 amps.

As you know these batteries are expensive, so you want to take the time now to do it right. If the battery is permanently damaged Optima makes a suitable replacement at about half the price or less than the Toyota one. Like the Toyota battery it is a non gassing AGM battery, and like the Toyota has a vent connection. If you replace the battery all you have to do is make sure you have the polarity correct, the connections are clean and tight, and you reconnect the vent. See the link below for the battery details. It is designed for the Prius, but will work in the Camry hybrid.

OPTIMA® YELLOWTOP® DS46B24R

If you have to replace it, shop around. You should be able to get the Optima for less than the $210 list price.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #111 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Go to your nearest Batteries Plus store, they will install (if you could tow it there) and charge it for you for free, or just buy the battery, install/connect and try start the car. Once you're able to drive have them install correctly with vent.
post #112 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Senior TN Member

These batteries are about 48 amp hours in capacity, so at 2 amp rate will take about 24 hours to fully charge, and at 5 amps about 10 hours. Do not rush it!!!

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #113 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
A question for the group: How does the car itself avoid subjecting the 12V battery to too high a charging rate in operation (or does it)? I believe the car itself is capable of supplying well over 100 amps to the 12V rail and I suspect the battery is capable of sustaining a discharge rate of well in excess of 5A. (Try closing the 4 windows and sunroof simultaneously after you've powered off the HSD, not-to-mention that similar smaller AGM batteries in UPSes typically run much higher discharge rates.) So, there is apparently no limitation on the discharge rate. Is there an actual circuit in the TCH to limit the charge rate?

Rob - 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
post #114 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokidding View Post
Hi guys,

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Everything was working normal before I left the country for a month.

When I came back , I tried to get into the card, the keyless entry didn't work eventhough the remote control works (The red light turns on everytime i press a button), so I opened the car with the key.

I tried turning it on and it wouldn't turn on.

I was told this could be because of the auxiliary battery dying.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Can I jump the car the battery? If so, will driving it around for an hour or two be enough to charge it? or should i take it to charge it in the dealership?

2. Do you think the battery is completely dead and needs replacement? or is it most probably a matter of charging it?

3. I asked in the dealership and they charge $450 for a new battery and 100$ to charge it.. Do you know of any other stores that might charge it for cheaper or sell it for cheaper? Stored like Firestone, advanced auto parts and autozone carry the regular camry (non hybrid model) battery not the hybrid model auxiliary battery.

I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask a question like this but this is my first time posting a question like this on this forum

Thank you.
Your in the right place to ask questions if your Camry Hybrid is having problems.

This 12 volt battery in question is the instrument panel battery that powers the door locks, headlamps, AC fans and etc. It does not start you engine, it does power you ECU which is the brains of your car. The engine is started from the large traction battery once it's directed to do so from the ECU.

Once you get the car working again, I would make sure when you press of the power button to shut the car off. Look at the the clock on the dash to see if it's black, showing no digits. If not press it again till it does go black. That way you know the car is powered off.

Being you own a 2007 TCH it's about time for the 12 volt battery to be replaced, if it's the same one that came with your TCH when it was new. First I would head to maybe Walmart and buy the switchable $29 battery charger. You can set the the voltage to 6 or 12 volts and the charge rate to 2, 4 or 6 amps. Once charged it auto switches to trickle once the battery is fully charged.

The 12 volt battery in your trunk is the type that has to be slow charged, best to choose the 2 amp charge rate for this type battery. Like Ron mentioned it may take 24 hours to charge up at the 2 hour rate. Once charged the battery may be still be weak from being run all the way down.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Diehard-6A...ingMethod=p13n

Last edited by WhiteSands; 09-10-2013 at 03:36 AM.
post #115 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by restamp View Post
A question for the group: How does the car itself avoid subjecting the 12V battery to too high a charging rate in operation (or does it)? I believe the car itself is capable of supplying well over 100 amps to the 12V rail and I suspect the battery is capable of sustaining a discharge rate of well in excess of 5A. (Try closing the 4 windows and sunroof simultaneously after you've powered off the HSD, not-to-mention that similar smaller AGM batteries in UPSes typically run much higher discharge rates.) So, there is apparently no limitation on the discharge rate. Is there an actual circuit in the TCH to limit the charge rate?
I read somewhere the 12 volt battery is charged and maintained from the traction battery. One would think the 12 volts supply would come from the 245 ac/dc volt inverter. I have not seen a wiring diagram to see exactly how the 12 volt battery supply works.
post #116 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by restamp View Post
I suspect the internal battery charging system is current limited to keep the charging rate below 5 amps. Keep in mind that when the battery is fully charged even at 15 volts it will only take a fraction of an amp. That does not mean the charging system cannot provide lots of amps to run the headlights, radio, etc. That current bypasses the 12 volt battery. It goes directly from the HV battery, the charger, to the load.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #117 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Official TN Member

If the OP's 12v battery is original, it's about 7 years old and time to replace it anyway. Charging it is only a stop-gap measure. The battery will quickly fail again.
post #118 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM
New TN User

Hello
I just had the same thing today,I shipped my car overseas it took 1 month to get here.and it did not start.
I have a 2010 and in the owners manual on page 434 it says you can jump it from other car and it actual says start the engine of the 2nd car increase the gasoline engine speed slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 min.to recharge the 12v battery of your vehicle .
post #119 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZD5B View Post
Hello
I just had the same thing today,I shipped my car overseas it took 1 month to get here.and it did not start.
I have a 2010 and in the owners manual on page 434 it says you can jump it from other car and it actual says start the engine of the 2nd car increase the gasoline engine speed slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 min.to recharge the 12v battery of your vehicle .
The 12v battery won't recharge in 5 minutes. However, it probably will charge it enough to start the car. When you do get it started, drive it for a while, or leave it in Park and READY for the few hours to charge the 12v battery. It takes quite a while to fully recharge the 12v battery.
post #120 of 240 Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I recall posting this TSB in greenhybrid. You're better off buying a new battery.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~nash/TCH/...0BATTERIES.pdf

Last edited by lincolnshibuya; 09-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid