Remote start - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 205 Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by regztfen View Post
If you have a remote start I have a question. If I remote start my TCH 2012 XLE and let it run its cycle and stop. Can I remote start it again later without having entered the car and or started it by push button? I tried today and could not get the remote start to start the car the second time from the house. This was several hours later. ???
I have a 2009 TCH with a remote start. I can start and stop/restart any time through the remote. The remote lock button must be pressed quickly three times and hold after the third time until the car flashes the lights 2 times. Instructions for the remote are confusing (give you the impression that you can do it slowly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 205 Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by drini View Post
I have a 2009 TCH with a remote start. I can start and stop/restart any time through the remote. The remote lock button must be pressed quickly three times and hold after the third time until the car flashes the lights 2 times. Instructions for the remote are confusing (give you the impression that you can do it slowly)
Mine only starts and stops once and then it won't repeat.
post #138 of 205 Old 12-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Official TN Member

Remote start

TCH 2012 XLE - I can use my remote start once but if I don't go to the car and open the door, I cannot use the remote start again. Is there a dealer option to allow the remote start to be used as many times as one wants BEFORE they actually go to the car and open the door? My dealer says it works only once until you open the door to reactivate it so it can be used again. He does not know if there is an option to use it more than once before you have to open the door. Sounds stupid to only be able to start it once. If you change your mind and want to go out later, you cannot use remote start because you did not open the car door between uses of the remote start. Anyone have an answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 205 Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Official TN Member

Double post???

Last edited by Doobiewah; 12-07-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Removed dead link
post #140 of 205 Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepa63 View Post
Threads merged!
post #141 of 205 Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Official TN Member

No double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobiewah View Post
Threads merged!
This is a different question concerning Dealer Options!!!
post #142 of 205 Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by regztfen View Post
This is a different question concerning Dealer Options!!!
Similar enough...no need to clutter the forum with too many threads regarding remote start, especially when you use the same thread title.
post #143 of 205 Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Official TN Member

Anybody else noticed this: ????

It was extremely cold this morning when I left for work (car was reporting -29 C), and aside from everything being stiff, I noticed that I had virtually no regen braking for a good portion of my commute, i.e. the car offered very little braking on the initial portion of the brake pedal travel and I could tell from my scanguage that the battery was not being recharged much, even by the engine. Eventually everything came back to normal, after about 25 km of driving (and I assume after the battery warmed up some).

I'm assuming that it's normal behavior, as in something to do with protecting the battery, but that explains the dismal FE number that we get in the cold.

I'm just interested in hearing if anyone else has witnessed the same?

Yves

2016 Ruby Red TCH SE
post #144 of 205 Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesJ View Post
Anybody else noticed this: ????

It was extremely cold this morning when I left for work (car was reporting -29 C), and aside from everything being stiff, I noticed that I had virtually no regen braking for a good portion of my commute, i.e. the car offered very little braking on the initial portion of the brake pedal travel and I could tell from my scanguage that the battery was not being recharged much, even by the engine. Eventually everything came back to normal, after about 25 km of driving (and I assume after the battery warmed up some).

I'm assuming that it's normal behavior, as in something to do with protecting the battery, but that explains the dismal FE number that we get in the cold.

I'm just interested in hearing if anyone else has witnessed the same?

Yves
I drive in cold weather, and I have not noticed it. Will try and watch for it. You can normally tell how much regeneration there is by watching the ECO gauge. When it goes negative it is charging the battery. It makes no sense that the battery would not be charged. What I have noticed is that the ICE loads up when it is cold and you are stopped at a red light. The only way of loading up the ICE above normal idle is to have it charge the battery.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #145 of 205 Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
I drive in cold weather, and I have not noticed it. Will try and watch for it. You can normally tell how much regeneration there is by watching the ECO gauge. When it goes negative it is charging the battery. It makes no sense that the battery would not be charged. What I have noticed is that the ICE loads up when it is cold and you are stopped at a red light. The only way of loading up the ICE above normal idle is to have it charge the battery.
Well, that's kind of my point: the ECO gauge needle was dipping in the negative, but not much charging or braking was happening.... also, I started my commute with a battery at 52%; it went down to around 50% and stayed there for the first 20 km or so... with lots of braking involved during that time. Also, the engine never shut down the whole time, and it never charged the battery enough to bring the charge state up to its normal 60%.
Things got back to normal as soon as the inside of the car got warm, hence my comment about some kind of temperature limit for charging.

Yves

2016 Ruby Red TCH SE
post #146 of 205 Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I parked the car in my heated garage last night (10C) and I saw the outside temp gauge reporting -27C a few minutes later while driving to work. That allowed me to get good EV and regen considering the temperature (with minimal heater use when stopped). Finished at 6.8l/100km after 40km (tank so far 7.0l/100km in car display). I did drive the car when parked outside down to -22C and didn't notice any loss of charging or regen braking. Maybe it wasn't cold enough then.

The cold weather and frequent snow falls (and lots and lots of bumper to bumper driving) is definitely taking a toll on the fuel consumption.

Yves, I haven't transferred my Scangauge into the Camry yet (used to have in it my Civic Hybrid). Are you using the Gen3 Prius XGauge codes to read all those nice parameters? During the Xmas holidays, I have to find the time to install the ScanGauge in the Camry... Where did you install it? I can't see any good spot except maybe on top of the steering wheel stalk.

Last edited by dborn; 12-17-2013 at 09:11 PM.
post #147 of 205 Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I agree with YvesJ and wonder if it is indeed detrimental to traction battery life to pump a lot of charging current through an extremely cold battery. This is just a supposition on my part -- I really have no idea if it is the case in reality, but it would be instructive to find out. I've always wondered about how temperature extremes affect the traction battery's life.

Rob - 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE

Last edited by restamp; 12-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
post #148 of 205 Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The other night we drove off to go to town. I did have the block heater turned on for near 3 hours earlier due to the upper 20's temperature. I started the car after removing the extension cord. First I looked at he Scan Gauge to see the water temp was only up to 80 degrees. Most times it's around 105 or 110F degrees when it's a little warmer outside.

I drove out the 200 foot driveway stopping at our mail box out on the road were we live. The engine kept running while stopped. Once about 500 feet down the road the engine auto shut off and went into the EV mode. I looked at the scan gauge coolant temp again as it read 103 degrees. I had never seen it go into EV around that low of outside temp.

I remember the '07 TCH I had owned earlier, the EV would not come on till the temp was up around 130 or so degrees, best I can remember.

I have noticed using the block heater on this '12 TCH the engine does heat up somewhat quicker than when I had the '07 TCH which also had a block heater. Could be when it's really cold outside the ECU keeps the water pump shut off to prevent bringing in the ice cold radiator water till the engine has warmed up maybe to 150 to 160 degrees. Seeing it hit 179 degrees after driving 3 or so miles on the main highway sure looked good. I do turn the heater on low fan once I see it's up around 130 deg. I go to 2 graphs on the fan once the engine is in the 170 deg range to fully heat the cabin.

I read about the '12 having some exhaust method to help heat the coolant, but I forgot how that works.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 12-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
post #149 of 205 Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
I parked the car in my heated garage last night (10C) and I saw the outside temp gauge reporting -27C a few minutes later while driving to work. That allowed me to get good EV and regen considering the temperature (with minimal heater use when stopped). Finished at 6.8l/100km after 40km (tank so far 7.0l/100km in car display). I did drive the car when parked outside down to -22C and didn't notice any loss of charging or regen braking. Maybe it wasn't cold enough then.

The cold weather and frequent snow falls (and lots and lots of bumper to bumper driving) is definitely taking a toll on the fuel consumption.

Yves, I haven't transferred my Scangauge into the Camry yet (used to have in it my Civic Hybrid). Are you using the Gen3 Prius XGauge codes to read all those nice parameters? During the Xmas holidays, I have to find the time to install the ScanGauge in the Camry... Where did you install it? I can't see any good spot except maybe on top of the steering wheel stalk.
Unfortunately, my car sleeps outside... I got something like 8.7 yesterday, but as I said, with no regen and the engine constantly on, what can you do? When the temp is around -10C, I can usually manage a 7.2 - 7.3.

The only special scanguage code that I'm using is for the battery SOC parameter, and yes it's from that list for the Prius. I had to do it twice as my scanguage reset itself to its defaults while doing the programming. Mine is on the steering wheel stalk, which is pretty much the only good spot for it.

Yves

2016 Ruby Red TCH SE
post #150 of 205 Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Got a 5.5l/100km this morning after parking the car in the garage and driving in -13C weather. Best I got in a long time now.

The cold weather probably affects how the traction battery gets used and recharged. I know it certainly did in my previous Civic Hybrid. On very cold days, the engine would first start from the normal 12V starter and there was practically no charging, no regen, no assist and no auto-stop until the car warmed up (and not just the ICE).

Last edited by dborn; 12-18-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: speeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid