Remote start - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 205 Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Remote Start

Can remote start be ADDED to the 2009 TCH? I searched the site with no results...
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 205 Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Camry Freak

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Yes it can. You can either get it as a Toyota accessory or you can have a shop add it on with an after market system. It is more complicated due to the Smart Key system, but it can be done.

I would get the Toyota system simply because it is controlled by the Smart Key and does not require an additional remote.

Others like after market because some have additional features, have a longer range, and have a lower price.

If you do go after market- make sure your shop has a good reputation, is insured, and offers a good warranty. The TCH is a complex vehicle, and you don't want them to screw up the electronics.

Good luck.

P.S.- try searching using different words or combinations. I searched a few times and got about 17 results in the Camry Hybrid forum alone. Also try looking at www.greenhybrid.com too- lots of good information on that website.

1998 Camry LE (Sold), 2007 Camry Hybrid, 2016 Accord Coupe
post #18 of 205 Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CamryLE View Post
Yes it can. You can either get it as a Toyota accessory or you can have a shop add it on with an after market system. It is more complicated due to the Smart Key system, but it can be done.

I would get the Toyota system simply because it is controlled by the Smart Key and does not require an additional remote.

Others like after market because some have additional features, have a longer range, and have a lower price.

If you do go after market- make sure your shop has a good reputation, is insured, and offers a good warranty. The TCH is a complex vehicle, and you don't want them to screw up the electronics.

Good luck.

P.S.- try searching using different words or combinations. I searched a few times and got about 17 results in the Camry Hybrid forum alone. Also try looking at www.greenhybrid.com too- lots of good information on that website.
Does anyone know if the "remote start" feature shuts the engine off when you get in the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 205 Old 08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Camry Freak

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
The factory system either shuts it off when you open the door or when you press the brake pedal (Or both). It will not allow you to remote start the engine, and then get in and drive.

As for the after market system- it depends on the system. Most will not allow you to remote start the vehicle and then get in and drive without restarting the engine.

1998 Camry LE (Sold), 2007 Camry Hybrid, 2016 Accord Coupe
post #20 of 205 Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Camry Hybrid remote start

I was just told by my dealer service that because of the Smart Key,I would have to get the Toyota part remote start for $750 and can't get an aftermarket unit.That doesn't sound right.
Is that true?
I'm willing to carry that small extra button fob for the aftermarket unit.

Nevermind...
Just called another dealer who will install a Toyota part remote start for $550.
I'm going with it.

'11 Camry Hybrid Classic Silver/Ash
Moonroof | NAV | Leather | JBL Audio | XM | Blue Tooth | OEM Remote Start | Michelin Primacy MXV4
'11 Honda CR-V EX-L w/NAV 4WD Glacier Blue/Gray
Leather | Remote Start | Fogs | Premium Sound | XM | Wood Dash | Michelin Primacy MXV4

Last edited by Joe B; 12-20-2010 at 10:21 AM.
post #21 of 205 Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM
New TN User

I called around, you can get a aftermarket system, From what the installer told me is that the car will shut off when the door is opened. I'm planning on getting one after the holidays, they told me 299 installed
post #22 of 205 Old 12-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
I called around, you can get a aftermarket system, From what the installer told me is that the car will shut off when the door is opened. I'm planning on getting one after the holidays, they told me 299 installed
Both Toyota dealers service said you have to splice wires with an aftemarket unit and they won't do it with a Smart Key system.Maybe it's just the hybrid because there's no starter.
The Toyota remote start for Smart Key systems is a plug in module of some sort.
I want Toyota service to do the install so the car stays under warranty if something happens.Worth the extra cost for piece of mind with a bonus of not having a second remote which isn't a big deal to me though but nice.

Moonroof | NAV | Leather | JBL Audio | XM | Blue Tooth | OEM Remote Start | Michelin Primacy MXV4
Leather | Remote Start | Fogs | Premium Sound | XM | Wood Dash | Michelin Primacy MXV4

Last edited by Joe B; 12-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.
post #23 of 205 Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think this is the one that works with the Smart Key System. But I think I may have Toyota do mine also to keep it under warranty as well.

http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt398-33070.html
post #24 of 205 Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchepunx View Post
I think this is the one that works with the Smart Key System. But I think I may have Toyota do mine also to keep it under warranty as well.

http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt398-33070.html
toyotapartspeople.com has the Remote Start Kit for the Hybrid for $333.50.So dealer cost is probably around $250.
$550 dealer cost installed is a great price.The unit will be installed tomorrow.

post #25 of 205 Old 12-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior TN Member

Remote start installed.
Toyota part# PT398-03100 $399
90189-06177 Grommet-Screw $1.04

Labor $99 per hour
1.5 Hours at $149.96
$550 total cost.

post #26 of 205 Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
New TN User

Remote Start Question

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid that I bought just last spring. I would like to add the remote start to it. It does not have the Nav system or the security system, just the smart key (push button to start - no keyhole).

I requested one part number from a dealer (don't have it handy) but they said it updated to PT398-33070. Later, he said that part was no longer available, and that it is now PT398-03100. I now have that part, but it clearly says it is for a 2010, as does everything I find online.

Does anyone know if this part actually will fit my TCH?

Thanks!
post #27 of 205 Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Senior TN Member

I just had the PT398-03100 installed by a Toyota dealer in my '11 for $550.
Should work on an '07.Smart Key systems should be the same.

post #28 of 205 Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
New TN User

I just bought a 08 Camry Hybrid with a NAV system and JBL stero. I want to buy a remote start as well, but I went by the Toyota dealership here in my town and they told me that the OEM remote starter VIP was discontinued. Does anyone have a reason why and what would be my alternatives if I went non factory? thanks.
post #29 of 205 Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBALLREF View Post
I just bought a 08 Camry Hybrid with a NAV system and JBL stero. I want to buy a remote start as well, but I went by the Toyota dealership here in my town and they told me that the OEM remote starter VIP was discontinued. Does anyone have a reason why and what would be my alternatives if I went non factory? thanks.
I installed the one for the 2011 model on my 2007 TCH with smartkey system, and it works just fine. Different part number, but it works fine. I installed it myself, following the directions found online, but had to go to a Toyota dealership to have them hook up their scanner to it to activate it - that cost $95 (rip off - took him 10 min), but it works fine. Don't forget to get the hood switch if your car doesn't already have one for a security system - it doesn't come with the remote start kit - but everything else does.

2007 TCH Anniversary Edition, Purchased April 2010.
post #30 of 205 Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM
New TN User

hopmedic, thanks for the reply. Where did you buy your remote starter and what was the price if you don't mind me asking. I can probably find a audio/video store that specializes in installations to put it in for me, because I'm not good at stuff like that, but I'm willing to pay someone to do it right the first time. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid