Remote start - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 205 Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I had a factory remote on my 2010 Prius. Waste of money.

Cons

You have to turn on the front heaters that you might need later with the remote start. Also, before you turn your car off, it is best to put the vehicle in Normal mode (no eco) to prioritize heating systems more than Eco mode.

When you touch the door handle to get in your car, the car turns itself off.

No confirmation that vehicle started.
Lengthy procedure to activate; Press lock twice fast then press lock again and hold it for a slow 3 count (just give me a button).

Short range.
Exactly! i agree with you 100%. My dealer said they won't even put a remote starter on a Hybrid. It's more complex than a regular gas Camry. it kind of defeats the purpose to run your hybrid. The only reason I can see for a remote start is if you park outside overnight in the winter and the windows freeze up or ice, that might make opening the doors very hard. Otherwise no need for remote start.

Also in some areas, idling your car (remote start) is illegal or only allowed for a few minutes.

I have a neighbor that runs the car for 20 min every morning even on mornings it's nice out... waste of gas and the environment.

2005 GTO, 6.0L V8, modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Canada Winter preparation to help MPG!

Well if like me you are above or near the 45th parrallel, you know you TCH MPG is starting slowly to drop because of the cold...

I was thinking of installing the block heater but did not do it...

I probably will look for a better way to block the radiator like I did last winter (last year block 50%, this year thinking 100%)

like to know what you are doing to help keep the MPG as high as possible in the 0 to -40 weather...

and what results you got out of it...

Richard ve2dx
post #48 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I use a block heater, which helps some. Can't say how much.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2dx View Post
Well if like me you are above or near the 45th parrallel, you know you TCH MPG is starting slowly to drop because of the cold...

I was thinking of installing the block heater but did not do it...

I probably will look for a better way to block the radiator like I did last winter (last year block 50%, this year thinking 100%)

Richard ve2dx
Does blocking the radiator do anything, really? I don't think it should; as long as the engine is too cold, no fluid should go through it anyway, no? Or is there a minimum default flow through there?
I have had the block heater installed when I completed my purchase (last April), but didn't get to use it yet. I kind of lost the habit of using one, because my previous car (Chevy) had an inline thermostat that shut it down above -17C, kind of stupid if you ask me. I hope this one isn't like that....

Yves

2016 Ruby Red TCH SE
post #50 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm in Montreal too and when I bought my car in August, I got the block heater installed by the dealer at purchase time. The dealer told me that nobody buys block heaters anymore and only two cars they sold this year where installed with a block heater. I told him he would now have three!

As soon as the temps go below freezing, I will be plugging in the block heater on a timer so that it starts two hours before I leave in the morning.

I don't have any experience with a Camry Hybrid in the winter but when I had a Civic Hybrid, I blocked the front grille but had to closely monitor the engine temps to avoid overheating. At this point, I wasn't planning on blocking the front grille. I may reconsider but I'm not sure yet. I really recommend a block heater though.

I don't know about the Camry but on the Civic, I believe blocking the front grille "tricked" the computer into thinking that the outside temperature was warmer than it really was and that allowed more "autostop" and also allowed using the interior heat more without having the engine start up to keep it warm.

Last edited by dborn; 10-14-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Adding details about blocking grille on Civic
post #51 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My theory about the block-heater is that it heats the block, mainly the head and most important, spark plugs. With the '12 and newer TCH now uses a variable electric water pump. It can shut down or run very slow to allow the engine to warm up faster.

My experience when the temp is around 40 degrees, the engine warms up half as quick as without the block-heater. It usually takes about 2 hours maybe 3 if it's really cold to warm the block. Usually my temp gauge will only read 1/8 to 1/4 scale but doing so does the winter mpg some. The block-heater only draws around 350 or so watts.

Tom in Nebraska once said, a good rule to remember is to drape the extension cord over the drivers side mirror. That way you won't forget and drive off forgetting to unplug the block-heater.
post #52 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM
TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
My typical winter weather routine includes using the engine block heater liberally (If it's below 0C, I'm using it as who doesn't want a fully warmed engine at 0? -30C is a different matter). My lower air dam of the Prius is fully blocked below -10C (half until 0C though one can half block a Prius until 10-15C but I don't have a scangauge so I'll live with the slightly longer warm up time between 0 and 15C).

I also run ECO Mode as that lowers the engine temp threshold for engine shutdown (I've had it shut down at -10C with the heater running. That won't happen in normal mode). I also dress warmly so I set the climate control at 21C instead of 24C or 25C. I use my seat heaters to warm up as they get hot a lot faster than the cabin.
post #53 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Official TN Member

WhiteSands,

Do you know if, on the 2012-13 TCH, the block heater heats up the oil in the oil pan or if it heats up the coolant?

My previous cars had block heaters that warmed up the oil but I know some also warm up the coolant. From your post, I'm guessing the coolant.

Thanks,
Daniel
post #54 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
In winter ICE runs more as it needs to keep cats warm. Something else in HSD. Go ahead and use block heater for that. GL.

post #55 of 205 Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
Do you know if, on the 2012-13 TCH, the block heater heats up the oil in the oil pan or if it heats up the coolant?
It only heats up the coolant. I have never seen a vehicle which heated up the oil. However, that may have been what was done on the old air cooled engines like the Volkswagon beetle, and the Corvair.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #56 of 205 Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Official TN Member

I'll do some research on previous cars of mine (not air cooled) because I could have sworn they had the heating elements dipping in the oil. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Speaking of warming up the car in winter, I seem to remember reading at some point on forums that there was some kind of contraption to warm up the traction battery on a hybrid car (Prius, Civic, Camry?) after market of course.

I know my Civic Hybrid would start the ICE on a conventional 12V starter when it was really cold outside (like -30 cold) and remember reading that previous TCHs would also use some kind of 12V starter on similar occasions. It's my understanding that the '12-'13 TCHs have done away with that so it means the traction battery will start the ICE even in frigid winter cold. Does that seem to be an issue for anyone?
post #57 of 205 Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
It only heats up the coolant. I have never seen a vehicle which heated up the oil. However, that may have been what was done on the old air cooled engines like the Volkswagon beetle, and the Corvair.
Years ago, I worked in a shop that installed an oil plug replacement that heated the oil in the pan. Not sure how well they worked; however, I do remember that it reduced the size of the drain hole and tripled the time it took for the oil to drain...and you also had to be careful with the wires....you could tell the decent installs one of our guys did versus the sloppy ones where you were always re-routing the wires so that they wouldn't drag down, catch, and be torn off...
post #58 of 205 Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
It's Official

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Thanked 1,071 Times in 880 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
my friend was stationed in alaska and i think he even had a heater on his trans fluid pan underneath his truck...i need to verify w/ him on that one though.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
post #59 of 205 Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
Speaking of warming up the car in winter, I seem to remember reading at some point on forums that there was some kind of contraption to warm up the traction battery on a hybrid car (Prius, Civic, Camry?) after market of course.

I know my Civic Hybrid would start the ICE on a conventional 12V starter when it was really cold outside (like -30 cold) and remember reading that previous TCHs would also use some kind of 12V starter on similar occasions. It's my understanding that the '12-'13 TCHs have done away with that so it means the traction battery will start the ICE even in frigid winter cold. Does that seem to be an issue for anyone?
The TCH only starts on the traction battery. The 12 volt is only used for control power and accessories like the radio and headlights.

The traction battery is cooled and there may be a feature which heats it as well. Your brake system charges up as soon as you touch the driver door handle, so it may start warming your battery as well...

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #60 of 205 Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
New TN User

Has anyone installed a remote starter on their vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid