Remote start - Page 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 205 Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM
TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
Yep, and in places like here, "really cold temps" is more like -40F (or C).
I didn't think Montreal got as cold as that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 205 Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideland Prius View Post
I didn't think Montreal got as cold as that.
It can but it hasn't in the past few years (global warming?)
Now, it usually settles around -10C (15F) and does regularly go down to -15C (5F) and occasionally to -20C (-5F).

I remember when I was young (35 years ago!), we used to see some -30Cs and -40Cs a few times during the winter but not so much in the past 10 years or so...

So yeah, "really cold" in Montreal is about -40F/C
post #78 of 205 Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM
TN Member

Quote:
Now, it usually settles around -10C (15F) and does regularly go down to -15C (5F) and occasionally to -20C (-5F).

I remember when I was young (35 years ago!), we used to see some -30Cs and -40Cs a few times during the winter but not so much in the past 10 years or so...

Ahh ok. I thought you would be able to exchange cold weather performances on a Camry Hybrid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 AM
It's Official

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Thanked 1,071 Times in 880 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^wow, -40C and you have the AC on almost full blast?!?! hahaha JK im assuming its the defroster.

EDIT: just realized you have it set to feet in the pic

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
post #80 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I live a couple of hours from Montreal and I remember seeing -40 (early morning) maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years. So it's not frequent, but it happens. It used to be that you'd see temperature like that 2 or 3 times per year on average (20+ years ago), but I don't miss those days one bit.

Yves

2016 Ruby Red TCH SE
post #81 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Just wondering, does the ICE still spin and start effortlessly in Canadian temperatures if you don't use a heater?

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with tech pkg
Moulin Rouge/Black
post #82 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 AM
It's Official

Garage
I have a rookie question for you guys...what is ICE and what's its function?

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
post #83 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
I have a rookie question for you guys...what is ICE and what's its function?
ICE = Internal Combustion Engine (as opposed to HSD, or Hybrid Synergy Drive, which is the ICE and electric drive combined)

Function: Self Explanatory
post #84 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
^wow, -40C and you have the AC on almost full blast?!?! hahaha JK im assuming its the defroster.

Interesting trivia, -40C and -40F are exactly the same temperature. In really cold weather most people run the AC because it dehumidifies. Try turning the AC on some time when the inside of your car is fogged up.

2013 Camry hybrid LE magnetic gray
Falcon CO
post #85 of 205 Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM
It's Official

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobiewah View Post
ICE = Internal Combustion Engine (as opposed to HSD, or Hybrid Synergy Drive, which is the ICE and electric drive combined)

Function: Self Explanatory
Cool, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post
Interesting trivia, -40C and -40F are exactly the same temperature. In really cold weather most people run the AC because it dehumidifies. Try turning the AC on some time when the inside of your car is fogged up.
Haha yea, i googled -40C to F and was confused for a minute LOL. I have noticed turning on the AC makes the fog go away, but only thought to use it on defrost/defrost and feet. This winter I will definitely try it out w/o the defrost too.

post #86 of 205 Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 PM
New TN User

I've been noticing it big time... EV mode doesn't kick in much at all, my tanks have gone from 980km to under 900.

And this is only 0-5 degree weather... How bad does it get in Jan-Feb when it's -15!?

post #87 of 205 Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 AM
TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x475aws View Post
Just wondering, does the ICE still spin and start effortlessly in Canadian temperatures if you don't use a heater?
Yup. A bonus that hybrid owners will appreciate in the winter. The 12V battery only needs to start up a computer in a hybrid. In a regular car, it needs enough CCA to power the alternator to start the engine.

If you don't plug it in at -20C or below (not an exact temperature, just using that for reference), the engine will fire up immediately when you start the car. If you do plug it in, you can usually back out of the spot before the engine comes on (assuming you don't have the climate control at Defrost)

Quote:

It's just in AUTO mode so ya it's blowing at the feet and the car is in ECO mode. If I turn off the climate control, the engine actually shut down lol. Granted, that was just an experiment cause at that temp, I wanted my heat back asap!

At 90km/h (56mph), the engine was just "drinking" fuel at 33mpg showing at the instant fuel economy gauge at those temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_84 View Post
I've been noticing it big time... EV mode doesn't kick in much at all, my tanks have gone from 980km to under 900.

And this is only 0-5 degree weather... How bad does it get in Jan-Feb when it's -15!?
Try ECO mode. It lowers the temperature threshold for engine shut off and cuts back on the climate control. I've had my Prius shut off at -10C in ECO mode with the climate control set at 21.5C.

My tank on the Prius drops from 800-900km down to 500-600km in the middle of winter (partially exacerbated by the fact that I don't run my tank below 1/4 in the winter for safety reasons).
post #88 of 205 Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
New TN User

I dont think the block heater should be associate with cold temp,
I did some test with my block heater and after 3hours there is a delta of about 40C between the ambiant temp and the coolant temp (reading from the scangauge). the goal of blockheater is to bring the coolent temp near the operating temp and the operating temp is about 85-90C. so if you have a block heater you shall use it when the outside temp is 45-50C or less. even in that situation I would use it but 1 or 2 hour

the block heater is your best friend and ALLWAYS plug it before using your car unless its 50C outside
post #89 of 205 Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo-francis View Post
I dont think the block heater should be associate with cold temp,
I did some test with my block heater and after 3hours there is a delta of about 40C between the ambiant temp and the coolant temp (reading from the scangauge). the goal of blockheater is to bring the coolent temp near the operating temp and the operating temp is about 85-90C. so if you have a block heater you shall use it when the outside temp is 45-50C or less. even in that situation I would use it but 1 or 2 hour

the block heater is your best friend and ALLWAYS plug it before using your car unless its 50C outside
I think you are right, but the block heater is such a pain in the butt to use. How do you always know 1-2 hours before you go, that you are going to go? I guess it may be easier to use if you are working and on a fixed schedule. We're retired so we go when we go...

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #90 of 205 Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
I think you are right, but the block heater is such a pain in the butt to use. How do you always know 1-2 hours before you go, that you are going to go? I guess it may be easier to use if you are working and on a fixed schedule. We're retired so we go when we go...
My tougths on the block heater are simple, if your ICE is already warm when take off with the car then you should waste less gaz warming it up and thus bring results closer to warmer days...

as far as the problems of when to start it, this could be addressed partially with timer or remote on/off control on the AC plug?

how else can we prevent the cool (not even COLD! but Cool) temps from affecting our milage results...

Richard ve2dx (Cold (not COOL) Montreal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid