Remote start - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
In my opinion, that would be a resounding "yes".

Unless you have something that talks digitally with the engine ECU, I don't think you'll be able to "start" it with just a few 12V wires tapped in to the circuitry under the dash... (at least, that's what I know about remote starters. That technology could have changed since).
The basic method should be no different. The same immobiliser and the same signalling is used to start the engine on the typical camry as opposed to the hybrid. Mostly the same modules. I suspect it does it via canbus some how.

The trick is being able to activate the immobiliser to start the engine correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Interesting debate when all the OP has to do is to contact a couple of local installers and ask them if they can do it or not.

2013 Camry hybrid LE magnetic gray
Falcon CO
post #108 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainbum View Post
I dont see how driving in the winter compared to the summer would be very much different on the MPG's
Let us know if you still think this way come February....

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilnoc View Post
Let us know if you still think this way come February....
+1

Snow on the ground here in Flag. Temps in teens when I get up and go to work...highs in the high 30's. Noticeable drop in mileage as soon as the temps dropped way down. A few more weeks will put us in single digits and below zero. Be interested to see how much further the drop will be. As of now, it has dropped 5-7% so far; however, that is significant since only about 25% of our mileage is in town....and the last tank was probably closer to 10-15% in town mileage.
post #110 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainbum View Post
I dont see how driving in the winter compared to the summer would be very much different on the MPG's, except the car making the gas engine go "ON" to heat up the cabin. Thats why I believe the easiest/best way to increase gas mileage in the winter is to keep the heater off as much as possible.
Click on my Fuelly icon and have a look at the trend graph of my fuel economy. Here in Alberta Canada we have colder winters than Chicago, but I suspect even in Chicago you will not go unscathed in winter. Longer distance per drive will mitigate it, and shorter distances will increase the hit.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #111 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
let me put it to you all this way...

I dont even consider winter yet! and I have dropped from 850km on my last tank to 690km... that is a lot... my best tanks are in the summer on mid to long rang... all the way up to 950km...

to answer some doughts raised about WHY??? simple the ICE (really great abbreviation!) stays too cold thus it needs to start up too often to warm up... and yes the heating, my wife is almost freezing her ... off tryin to get her MPG higher, her biggest issue is her commute is way too short (less then 20km) thus the engine never warms up enough explaining these results... (Yes I agree; note to self, change wife to new one working downtown...)

Richard VE2DX, Montreal
post #112 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm just starting to fall below 1000km per tank now (max was 1125km)

Consumption's been steadily increasing since the end of October:
In mid-August to mid-October: was getting 5.01 - 5.44 l/100km (avg 5.25)*
Since then, 5.53 - 6.01 l/100km (avg 5.72)*

Unless it's really cold or my wife is with me, I usually don't turn on the heat until I get on the highway (~10km).

The ICE needs to warm up more and it also tries to keep the catalytic converter warm too. My coldest morning so far has been -12C (10F) and I can definitely see differences in the ICE's willingness to go to EV mode. The slightest bit of gas pedal applied restarts it much quicker.

Wonder what will be the hit in January-February when the temps will routinely be below -15C.

*These are calculated from the distance travelled vs liters put in tank and not using the optimistic display in the car (usually 5-8% too optimistic). Too bad this thing can't be calibrated...

Last edited by dborn; 11-27-2013 at 02:39 PM.
post #113 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Official TN Member

Indeed. But it would be a pretty boring (and empty) forum if everyone just contacted their Toyota dealer and/or local shops to answer all their questions! ;-)

Of course if the OP doesn't like the answers he's getting, that's definitely what he should do. It's not like most of us know what we're talking about anyway.
post #114 of 205 Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM
TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Use the seat heaters to warm you up when you have the heater off or set to a low temperatures. Block the grille (you'll have to check the TCH's diagram and see where the radiators are for the inverter and engine. You don't want them to overheat). For the Prius, my air dam is fully blocked (where the engine radiator is located) but my grille is open (where the inverter radiator is located). It's advised on PriusChat that owners do not block more than 50% of the grille.

My consumption spiked to 6.0L/100km when it hit -20C overnight and the car was sitting outside plugged in (night shift) and has decreased to 5.5L/100km today with warmer temps (near or slightly above zero daytime highs). It'll tank next week if the forecast for -25C lows and -15C highs are true. My commute is short (< 10km) so the engine is just warm enough to shut off with the heater off during the 10km drive at -20C. It'll shut off with the heater running (and in ECO mode) if it's -10C or warmer (like it was today).
post #115 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Official TN Member

Seat heaters? Not on my TCH LE anyway...
post #116 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a fan of remote starters, but to each there own.

On a cold day, I start the car and slowly take off without heating up and burn gas while idling. I guess this is where my heated seats come into play. 😎

As mentioned earlier, our TCH warms up quick and heat is readily available.

Drive Safe everyone. ❄️😊

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #117 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
One other significant factor is that the computer has to adjust the fuel/air ratio for emissions and drivability reasons to compensate for the cold intake air. The same occurs on all engines, hybrid or not. My previous car saw about a 15% drop in mileage during the winter, even when the engine was fully warmed up.

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
post #118 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you live in a cold climate and have to park outdoors a remote starter is well worth the money.
And if you live in a hot climate they are worth while for cooling your car as well.
Damn the gas mileage. If we lived back in a cold climate I would install a remote starter in a heart beat.

2013 Camry hybrid LE magnetic gray
Falcon CO
post #119 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Official TN Member

and let's not forget winter gas too...
and in Canada, volume is adjusted to 15C which means you pay for more gas than you actually get (http://www.palisadeshudson.com/2012/...gallon-of-gas/).

Last edited by dborn; 11-28-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Correctness...
post #120 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin man View Post
One other significant factor is that the computer has to adjust the fuel/air ratio for emissions and drivability reasons to compensate for the cold intake air. The same occurs on all engines, hybrid or not. My previous car saw about a 15% drop in mileage during the winter, even when the engine was fully warmed up.
That is exactly the issue. It is too bad Toyota would not design their vehicles better for cold weather climates. I suspect all their design is driven by the EPA tests which do not reflect the real world, especially where it is colder. They could make two significant improvements for us guys in the real cold:

1. Use a warm air intake. Cold air intake is worthless and what is really needed is a modulated warm air intake so the throttle valve would stay further open, and the engine would warm up faster.

2. Automatic shutters in front of the rad. Some Ford vehicles have this and claim it reduces drag on the highway. That may be, but I suspect it is next to insignificant. However, it would help the engine warm up faster and stay warm in cold city weather. Automatic shutters eliminate the risk of forgetting you have manually blocked the front causing the engine to overheat.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid