Remote start - Page 9 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
We must of ended up with a weird car (in a good way). Installed 4 Blizzak winter tires at the start of the last tank of fuel. Initially we saw the mpg drop off by 2 but during the course of using up the entire tank the mileage ended up the same, about 42-44. Temperatures during this tank ranged from 15 to 35F. Just filled up again and did a 60 mile run to a new store and the computer showed 48. Most of this drive was around 45 mph.

Tank before we did almost a 100 mile drive showing company around the city and we finished the drive with something like a 57 mpg average and that was with three adults in the car.

I do think our higher altitude has something to do with our better mpg as we live at 6,000 - 7,000 feet and run 85 octane. But the most important thing is still coast, coast, and coast some more every time you know a stop is coming up.

2013 Camry hybrid LE magnetic gray
Falcon CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 205 Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
That is exactly the issue. It is too bad Toyota would not design their vehicles better for cold weather climates. I suspect all their design is driven by the EPA tests which do not reflect the real world, especially where it is colder. They could make two significant improvements for us guys in the real cold:

1. Use a warm air intake. Cold air intake is worthless and what is really needed is a modulated warm air intake so the throttle valve would stay further open, and the engine would warm up faster.
I'm old enough to remember when the air intake was either drawn from the engine compartment(not necessarily good in warm weather), or around an exhaust manifold to preheat the air(almost a necessity in cold weather).

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
post #123 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yep, me too. Although I think it was mostly to prevent carburator icing. I had a car that, when the weather was just right, and snowing, the carburator iced up so bad, I had to stop by the side of the road and let the heat from the engine thaw the carburator out. Fun times.

My first Honda Civic (1979), had a manual choke with a pullknob in the dash. How far away are we from those days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 09:33 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regztfen View Post
I have a 2012 TCH XLE and had the Toyota remote start installed several months ago and mine is absolutely GREAT!!!
Was it the Toyota starter or after market? And where did you get it installed? Just found out I can finally get it installed in my 2012!
post #125 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 AM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
xpresskit.com has modules for 2013 tch (no 2014 yet) They are geared towards DIY installation but any shop will accept the installation. Majority of the aftermarket remote starters for push start systems doesn't support take over mode (which means they turn off the car when the door is opened)

http://www.xpresskit.com/VehicleComp...d&ps=1&s=0&c=0
post #126 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya View Post
xpresskit.com has modules for 2013 tch (no 2014 yet) They are geared towards DIY installation but any shop will accept the installation. Majority of the aftermarket remote starters for push start systems doesn't support take over mode (which means they turn off the car when the door is opened)

http://www.xpresskit.com/VehicleComp...d&ps=1&s=0&c=0
How about for 2012? And I don't really mind about the take over mode.
post #127 of 205 Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 AM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djantz View Post
How about for 2012? And I don't really mind about the take over mode.
they have modules from 2007-2013. It's on their website or you could also check autotoys.com. I was browsing that site when I was planning on buying PATS bypass kit for remote starts. I ended up not doing it since I only have one set of key for my lincoln ls.
post #128 of 205 Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM
New TN User

You guys were right it does heat up very quickly. Especially the butt warmer.

We got the 2014 TCH XLE w/ Leather Package. Put 620 miles on it in 2 days. Averaging 36.4MPG. I've noticed its highway mileage is no better than the 2009 Ford Focus we traded in on it. I hope that's just because it's not broke in yet. Cruising parking lots in EV mode is amazing. We love it so far.
post #129 of 205 Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM
New TN User

Man, I've lost 10MPG average on tanks so far and the coldest is yet to come... Brutal. From 41MPG to 31MPG

post #130 of 205 Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With our 2010 TCH in Minnesota winters we usually drop from 38mpg down to around 33-34mpg. Several reasons for that. First, I feel the winter blends of gasoline with their higher percentage of ethanol drops the mileage. The need for cabin heat requires more ICE mode than summer and our winter tires have a bit more of rolling resistance.

I'm using straight synthetic 0W-20 oil. Engine coolant still warms up fairly quickly. I read the TCH has some type of insulated thermos container for the coolant so it stays warmer longer when stopped.

Seat heaters are pretty nice...

'10 TCH, Magnetic Grey Metallic, Moonroof, Heated Leather and NAV
'92 LE I4, 180k original miles, Silver Taupe Metallic, Moonroof, ABS
post #131 of 205 Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
With our 2010 TCH in Minnesota winters we usually drop from 38mpg down to around 33-34mpg. Several reasons for that. First, I feel the winter blends of gasoline with their higher percentage of ethanol drops the mileage.
Winter fuel has more butane, which is cheaper and has a lower heating value, so poorer gas mileage. They can't get away with using any or any significant amount in summer or the vapour pressure would go too high with the higher temperatures.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #132 of 205 Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_84 View Post
Man, I've lost 10MPG average on tanks so far and the coldest is yet to come... Brutal. From 41MPG to 31MPG
My current tank is at 5.8l/100km vs 5.0 in the summer (in car display). So that's 40mpg vs 47mpg and is it ins't even the "real" winter yet...

I might have to step up the use of the block heater (or park it in the garage overnight).

@Pipemajor: I don't think the TCH has a "thermos" to keep the coolant warm. That was on previous versions of the Prius (don't think the current Prius has it either).
post #133 of 205 Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM
TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
I'm using straight synthetic 0W-20 oil. Engine coolant still warms up fairly quickly. I read the TCH has some type of insulated thermos container for the coolant so it stays warmer longer when stopped.

Seat heaters are pretty nice...
Nope. Toyota used that in the Gen 2 Prius but by the time the Gen 1 TCH came out, they've figured it wasn't worth the hassle or extra cost. Fortunately, they figured out a better option that's used on the 2nd/3rd generation hybrids (3G Prius, 2G TCH, 2.5G HiHy etc) - exhaust heat recirculation system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
That is exactly the issue. It is too bad Toyota would not design their vehicles better for cold weather climates. I suspect all their design is driven by the EPA tests which do not reflect the real world, especially where it is colder. They could make two significant improvements for us guys in the real cold:

1. Use a warm air intake. Cold air intake is worthless and what is really needed is a modulated warm air intake so the throttle valve would stay further open, and the engine would warm up faster.

2. Automatic shutters in front of the rad. Some Ford vehicles have this and claim it reduces drag on the highway. That may be, but I suspect it is next to insignificant. However, it would help the engine warm up faster and stay warm in cold city weather. Automatic shutters eliminate the risk of forgetting you have manually blocked the front causing the engine to overheat.
Grille shutters would be great. I've seen people use anything from aftermarket "blankets" to simply just cardboard tied over the front of the car to keep the car warm (and it's not limited to diesel cars or trucks. I've seen them on minivans and regular cars). For me, I use foam pipe insulation in grey so it's not as obvious or ugly as cardboard.

Toyota has improved cold weather performance, at least from the Gen 2 Prius to the Gen 3. I'm getting similar mpg in the Gen 3 despite driving in a much colder climate than the Gen 2. I would be curious once I move back to my hometown how much better the Gen 3 is in the same weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborn View Post
My current tank is at 5.8l/100km vs 5.0 in the summer (in car display). So that's 40mpg vs 47mpg and is it ins't even the "real" winter yet...

I might have to step up the use of the block heater (or park it in the garage overnight).

@Pipemajor: I don't think the TCH has a "thermos" to keep the coolant warm. That was on previous versions of the Prius (don't think the current Prius has it either).
I'm anywhere between 5.5-6.0L/100km. Ugh. It's -21C today. That includes using the EBH and 100% lower blocked grille. I park in the heated parkade at home. The issue I think is my super short commute (<10km).
post #134 of 205 Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Venzoid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_84 View Post
One of the biggest hits to mileage I've noticed is a wet roadbed, and winter offers alot of wet roads. One thing you can control is the amount of time the engine is on at a stoplight when it normally would be off. Just turn the fan off and the car will immediately go into EV if the batt is charged enough. The button is located close to where your right hand rests on the shifter. This convenient location is no coincidence. It is amazing how shutting the fan off will turn your ICE off too. You just have to determine how long you want to be without a fan (heat). I don't really try to save gas anymore in the Camry because it is so good on gas no matter how you drive that the cost is really insignificant.
post #135 of 205 Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Remote Start

If you have a remote start I have a question. If I remote start my TCH 2012 XLE and let it run its cycle and stop. Can I remote start it again later without having entered the car and or started it by push button? I tried today and could not get the remote start to start the car the second time from the house. This was several hours later. ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid