TPMS issues answered here - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I trust this new gauge that I just bought (more). It's supposed to be very accurate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
It likely IS very accurate. + or - 1 pound is extremely accurate for a wide range gauge.

03 Camry - 09 XB - 07 GMC Sierra - 14 Accord Sport
post #138 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Official TN Member

If its within the middle between 20-40 of a 60 PSI gauge it's more accurate.

If this was a 150 PSI gauge and you're measuring something at about 40 PSI (out of it's mid range), it would be less accurate as you said.

Last edited by Oz_TCH; 07-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Lifetime Supreme Member
OK...

Well beat yourself up over thinking you are 1 pound off then. I doubt the accuracy of the TPMS and gauge are anywhere near that perfect... but believe as you like.

post #140 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an Accutire MS-4021B digital tire gauge which displays in 0.5 PSI increments and found the TPMS to be within +/- 0.5 PSI of the gauge.

2012 Camry I4 SE
Toyota Owner's Manual PDFs
If my post helped you, then thank you for the thank you.
post #141 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
......You never know if TPMS or the gauge is the one that is off. ......
unless you get several different gauges and compare their readings to each other and to the TPMS reading .

2012 Camry I4 SE
post #142 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doznI4SE View Post
unless you get several different gauges and compare their readings to each other and to the TPMS reading .
Have one that is calibrated as the master gauge to compare to with the one you would normally use. I think that's how car racing people would do it.

post #143 of 484 Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
That would be a good start... I was poking at him a bit there. Most decent gauges are pretty accurate, but not always right on the money. The entire point was that one pound either way is not going to alter anything at all. Not sure I've ever run into anybody being quite so anal about tire pressure to the half pound.

post #144 of 484 Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
I have an Accutire MS-4021B digital tire gauge which displays in 0.5 PSI increments and found the TPMS to be within +/- 0.5 PSI of the gauge.
I also set my tires with this same gauge. I misplaced the nice chrome digital gauge I used with the '07. The other day wife found the chrome gauge in her pickup. I'm looking forward to comparing them soon.

I had the same results as you did using the Accutire MS04021B vs the in car display.
post #145 of 484 Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Official TN Member

Got a flat tire!

Drove to work yesterday's morning and saw a screw in one of my tires.
It wasn't completely flat. TPMS said 28.

So at lunch time I drove car to this shop that I had called before that said they'll put nitrogen in 4 tires for $20.

Took it there to have the tire fix and while at it have nitrogen put in 4 tires of my car.

Bill came to be $50!

$20 for Nitrogen, $15 for fixing nail in tire and $15 for balance of 4 wheels which I didn't ask for. If rebalancing was necessary, they should have told me that before and not surprise you with it.

Regardless, I paid the bill and tip the guy who worked on my car.

Also I had asked for the guy to put in 40 PSI, higher than tire's manufacturer recommendation because I like the gas savings you get from it. The guy expressed some concerns saying TPMS warning lights might come on. I said not to worry because I have been driving on 39 PSI since I got the new car off the Toyota's lot 2 months ago. They were no warning lights to worry about.

So the guy said okay, he'll do it.
After I got home, I checked the tire pressure, its all at 35 PSI and not 40 per my request.

I was watching as best I could from customer area when the guy was fixing the flat tire. It appeared that they did a good job to make sure the nail hole was fixed for good.

One last complaint, my car is brand new so I think they should have been a little careful. I found black smudges and dark fingerprints inside of my car at driver's door and at glove compartment (they had to get the wheel lock).

To help others, I will comment in Yelp and perhaps avoid this place.

post #146 of 484 Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Senior TN Member

Did the TPMS light come on or did you just notice the tire was low?

PM me if you don't mind sharing the name of the place. Since it was probably hot outside, I would have asked for 45 PSI, then told them I'll let it out in the AM when it's cold. For next time, you can use the TPMS readout while you're there to check.

For the reasons you mentioned, I hate taking my car anywhere to get it worked on. I fixed my flat with a $5 plug kit - not as good as your fix, but avoided the headaches and it's still holding fine after months - I check the TPMS readings daily not make sure it's not leaking.

So, are you going to take your car back to get the Nitrogen level up to 40? You should. Did you check your wheels to make sure they did not get scraped up?

2012 Camry I4 SE

Last edited by doznI4SE; 08-02-2012 at 10:19 AM.
post #147 of 484 Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Official TN Member

No TPMS light. I just noticed it, luckily. Saw screw in the middle of the tire and just so happen I had the wheel turned when I parked the car at work (backing in).

Will PM name of place. cheers.

Last edited by Oz_TCH; 08-02-2012 at 10:22 AM.
post #148 of 484 Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
Drove to work yesterday's morning and saw a screw in one of my tires.
It wasn't completely flat. TPMS said 28.

So at lunch time I drove car to this shop that I had called before that said they'll put nitrogen in 4 tires for $20.

Took it there to have the tire fix and while at it have nitrogen put in 4 tires of my car.

Bill came to be $50!

$20 for Nitrogen, $15 for fixing nail in tire and $15 for balance of 4 wheels which I didn't ask for. If rebalancing was necessary, they should have told me that before and not surprise you with it.

Regardless, I paid the bill and tip the guy who worked on my car.

Also I had asked for the guy to put in 40 PSI, higher than tire's manufacturer recommendation because I like the gas savings you get from it. The guy expressed some concerns saying TPMS warning lights might come on. I said not to worry because I have been driving on 39 PSI since I got the new car off the Toyota's lot 2 months ago. They were no warning lights to worry about.

So the guy said okay, he'll do it.
After I got home, I checked the tire pressure, its all at 35 PSI and not 40 per my request.

I was watching as best I could from customer area when the guy was fixing the flat tire. It appeared that they did a good job to make sure the nail hole was fixed for good.

One last complaint, my car is brand new so I think they should have been a little careful. I found black smudges and dark fingerprints inside of my car at driver's door and at glove compartment (they had to get the wheel lock).

To help others, I will comment in Yelp and perhaps avoid this place.
I would go back and get my 20PSI (4 tires x 5PSI)

post #149 of 484 Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's a very good idea to always check your wheels and lug nuts before taking your car to have them rotated and balanced or even for a flat. I used walmart till I bought this last set of tires from Discount Tire. Early one morning a young man in a bad mood at walmart installed a set of michelin tires on my '07 TCH. I later picked up the car and noticed 7 lug nuts on 3 wheels all scratched up. A small short scratch was on one of the allow wheels. I went inside and ask for the tire shop manager. He said no problem he would order the 7 new lug nuts. It took about a week for the toyota dealer to get them in. Walmart installed them with no problem and the scratch on the alloy wheel was so small I let that go.

Actually i'm glad to deal with discount on rotation and balance. I have bought many sets of tires from them and their very good at working with the balance and all. Never had any complaints with them. Would you believe the new Discount Tire store opened here in town just a few months ago and is located right next to Walmart's main parking lot exit.

Last edited by WhiteSands; 08-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.
post #150 of 484 Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
ahhh.... LesSchwab fixes flats for free
And they charge $12 a wheel for balancing. You got all that for $50? I'm envious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid