TPMS issues answered here - Page 29 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #421 of 484 Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And then I'm curious. WDF is going on with them car makers NOT providing spare tires anymore and only giving a happy new car owner a can of Fix Flat (and maybe a 12V pump, heard that too). With all this crap going on with Fix Flat.
That's easy. They don't want to spent the money to give you a spare tire. Therefore, they make more money and give less tools for emergency problems.

1986 Toyota Pickup Xtra Cab 4WD SR5 22RE
2002 Toyota Corolla LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 484 Old 08-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Gray TCH Rey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrey32 View Post
Just thought I would post this random question on here to get your opinions. I have a tiny tire leak in my rear passengers side tire. I probably air it up once a week or so. Does anyone use the fix a flat or slime? Or would it be better to get it patched by a tire shop?
If you know where the puncture is, use a raw rubber plug that you can get at any auto parts store and if yo have no punctures, most likely the tire is leaking through a TPMS sensor or a valve core, try to tight up the core and TPMS nut.

2013 TCH LE
post #423 of 484 Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Discount Tire is my choice and i'm almost sure they fix flats for free, including rotation. Is a good way to get acquainted to get your tire business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 484 Old 12-30-2015, 10:36 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Low Tire Light?

I have a low tire light on and the dealer said a sensor would have to be replaced. Mentioned a fee of $340! Wow.

Is there a way to determine which sensor is bad? I'd hate to have to replace all four if only one is defective. It's a 2007 Camry Hybrid.

Thanks!
post #425 of 484 Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Likely spare tire. I forgot if it has sensor or not, but it's easy check, right?
How do you know it's simply not low pressure? Buy cheap tire gauge and check pressure in ALL tires. Eliminate at least that cause.
TPS has battery in that eventually goes dead.
OP, you know you have TPS reset button in the glove compartment, left hand side wall?
This will be a handy page for you:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ressure+sensor

So sensor is about $40 and then any tire shop will replace it for you for minor fee.
One thing I am not sure is if you were in need of mating new sensor to the computer, that I do not know, but same say Les Schwab probably knows, have no doubt they had it done before times and times.

post #426 of 484 Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
+1

I am having the same problem on my 2007 Camry Hybrid, so am interested in a non-expensive solution. The pressures are good, and I have tried resetting a bunch of times.

BTW, my spare was at 9.5 lbs (I have an accurate digital gauge). Putting it to 60 lbs did not fix the problem, but this is a warning to all to check your spare once in a while!

Last edited by camfused; 01-02-2016 at 05:32 PM.
post #427 of 484 Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
When I purchased the 07 TCH a couple weeks ago for my daughter the same light was on and I pressured all to 38-40 psi, and even checked the spare (60psi). I like a firm ride. Light been off since.
I have three tire pressure gauges and they all have different readings. I use the middle one. So your pressure gauge could be showing you 35psi but in actuality the tire is 28psi.
post #428 of 484 Old 01-04-2016, 08:46 AM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have this warning showing everytime the weather changes from warm to cold overnight. I bought a digital tire pressure meter and measure it only when the vehicle's tire has cooled down (cold pressure) it will have a higher reading once driven. cut off is at 28 psi and lower. I don't recommend overinflating it, it will wear your tires in the middle prematurely..
post #429 of 484 Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The more I've researched this, the more upsetting it has become. There is no easy/inexpensive solution. TPMS or low tire monitor system is here to stay. It's a feature on all newer cars whether you want it or not. I'm one that can check and fill my tires at home and I don't need the car to tell me. On my daughter's 07 Camry Hybrid we had to pay $250 for two tire pressure monitors! Finding out that the batteries in these items can last from a few years to possibly ten years. My friend who has a car repair shop here in California has stated that from now on, he has to check tire pressures on all cars that come through no matter what type of service he does to your car. Doesn't have to have anything to do with tires. Crazy!
post #430 of 484 Old 01-04-2016, 04:58 PM
New TN User

FYI, my current plan is to get 4 sensors from Amazon ($118), and get Discount Tire to install & program ($40). I think this is about my cheapest way out.

Update: I received the sensors, and took them to Discount Tire. They installed, for free (much to my delight), and the light is out. Yet another reason I like Discount Tire! They are "DPAccessories DP-TPMS-4" at Amazon.
Doobiewah likes this.

Last edited by camfused; 01-12-2016 at 05:58 PM.
post #431 of 484 Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blinking TPMS Light

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with 73,000 miles. About a week after I got new tires, the TPMS light started blinking for a minute upon car startup and then the TPMS light stops blinking and stays on. The manual says the blinking light at startup indicates TPMS system malfunction.

I took it back to the place where I got the new tires and they said it is unrelated to the new tires and that one of my TPMS sensors has gone bad. I have owned the car since new in May 2007 and never replaced any of the TPMS sensors before. My Internet research says that the battery in these sensors typically have a 5-8 year lifespan, so it seems certainly reasonable that one of the sensors has died.

I want to fix this problem correctly for minimal cost and minimal work done on the car (for example, don't want to replace all 4 sensors if replacing just the bad one will work). Here's my questions:

1. Any other possible causes that I can troubleshoot for besides a bad sensor? I already confirmed the tire pressure is correct on all four tires with a digital gauge.

2. Is there any good reason to get an OEM TPMS sensor or will a quality aftermarket one do just fine?

3. Is it required that all 4 TPMS sensors be identical? Would it be possible to just replace the bad one with an aftermarket one and keep the 3 OEM ones that haven't failed yet?

4. What would be a fair and typical cost to replace one TPMS sensor? Seems like there is quite some variation in the answers here. urkoz and camfused's answers made me think about $50 per sensor, while Mel56 reported $125 per sensor. I'm hoping to get some other cost data points if possible.

5. My Internet research indicates the spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight you may have!
post #432 of 484 Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
5. Pop boot open and check on spare. Does it or does it not?
2. Will aftermarket TPMS be compatible with your vehicle?
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...-software.html

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/roll-o...do-it-yourself
3. What's the point in replacing one and then another one and then yet another one?

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...re-Sensors-SET

post #433 of 484 Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 PM
New TN User

Dechan, just replace all 4. Given the age of your car, they are all going to go soon anyway. See my post about the ones from Amazon. Cheapest way out.
post #434 of 484 Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
#1 Most tire shops have the ability to plug in to the OBD II port and check codes for sensors.

#2 Most reputable tire shops have the ability to check the sensors themselves "at the tire" without removing the tire or messing with the sensor.

#3 Spare tire has no sensor.

#4 Throwing money at all components instead of finding the underlying problem is ridiculous. DO NOT follow this advice.

#5 This is a known problem with Toyota as I have learned. Google it.

#6 Discount tire sucks. My opinion and others vary. So, many issues with so many cars and unsolved issues. Consider yourself lucky if you found one that has decent techs. The ones around here are incompetent (specifically central FL).

Finally.... I am on the 4th set of tires on this particular car. The last 2 times (both at Discount Tire) I have had the tires changed, I have had sensor related problems. After many times back and forth with them, to include conversations over the phone with the store, corporate and other stores, the issues were never resolved! HOWEVER, both times, the light eventually went out and the problem resolved itself over time. FWIW...

In the end, my advice would be that if you have had the car in the shop, have had the codes scanned, have had the sensors checked and still have a warning light..... Ignore it! Get a piece of tape and cover it up. The light will eventually go out if all the equipment cks out OK.

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #435 of 484 Old 03-27-2016, 12:26 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to update what I finally did. There was a suggestion to look at the spare tire to see if it has TPMS. I did not realize you could tell by looking if a tire has TPMS, but I found out after research that TPMS usually has a metal stem. I didn't see any metal stem on my spare, so it appears the spare was not the cause of the problem. My research indicated that aftermarket sensors were fine, so I didn't look specifically for the OEM part. I looked at buying new sensors on Amazon, but they were a brand I never heard of so I was concerned if they were quality or not. I decided not to risk it.

I decided to take the car back to a regional Pennsylvania tire chain with the initials J and W where I had bought new tires and gotten an alignment about three months ago. I figured they would use decent quality parts (even if generic) and would be cheaper than the dealer. They found one of the sensors was dead and offered to replace it for $110, which includes both parts and labor. I knew this was not a good deal, but I accepted just to get things done. I chose to replace only one sensor because (1) I had just gotten new tires three months ago and did not want them messing around with the tires/rims/sensors that were OK for fear they would break/mess up something else and (2) that one sensor by itself was very expensive.

I would do things differently the next time. I probably would not go back to this regional Pennsylvania tire chain. The service I received with the tires, alignment, and TPMS was not great. The TPMS there was probably only slightly cheaper than the dealer. Next time, I would do more research to try and purchase online quality yet inexpensive TPMS sensors and call around various local tire shops to see who would be willing to install my sensors for a reasonable price. I hope this information helps the next person who is in a similar situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid