TIRES thread - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 147 Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaleagle View Post
Hello:
I didn't see multiple threads in this topic, so I'll just ask my question here. I hope I'm not out of bounds here. If so, I apologize in advance.

I have a 2016 Camry Hybrid that had Firestone Affinity tires on it when new. They just about wore out at 25K miles so I decided to replace them, (based on positive reviews) with General Altimax RT43's. The Firestone tires had a good ride but terrible traction and wear.

To make a long story short, I have had terrible ride issues with these new General tires. At lower speeds the car wobbles and bounces. (Like out of round tires) Two of the tires have been replaced after multiple trips back to Pep Boys but the same thing is happening since they were replaced. We aren't getting shaking in the steering wheel and the bounce at lower speeds seems to be coming from the back tires as we don't get a shake in the steering wheel. Once you get about 50mph it really smooths out. At about 75 you start to get a sense of shake again. It's worse from about 20-45mph. Pep Boys has checked the balance multiple times. There are no signs of alignment issues with the car.

General Tire is allowing me to replace them for full credit under their 45 day customer satisfaction warranty. In fact, they are allowing me to buy other brand tires as well. I'm down to either the Continental Pure Contacts, (About $120 more than the Generals) or Michelin Premier A/S (About $240 more than the Generals)

First, has anyone had ride issues with the General Altimax RT43's? I have the T rated tires. All I can figure is that General had a bad batch of tires and I got some. The Generals have been rated well and I really wanted to like these tires, but my Camry seems to hate them. Pep Boys thinks that they might just not be compatible with the Camry for some reason. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Second, what would you recommend for the replacement tire between the two other options? Consumer reports rates both tires really well, but states that the Conti's only got 55K miles with their testing and the Michelin's got 85K, so maybe it's worth the extra money to get the Michelin's?

I'd keep trying to replace the Generals but I'm running out of time with their customer satisfaction warranty and am really getting tired of dealing with these tires. I'm glad General is being Generous with their warranty, but I sense I'm dealing with some defective tires and not sure I want to keep trying to get 4 good tires.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This has been very frustrating, (and time consuming) to me.

Thanks in advance.
You can't go wrong going with Michelen in my book. Our TCH had the best ride and tire wear with them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 147 Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, I've been reading tire reviews on Tire Rack and both the Michelin's and Continentals get a lot of complaints for not getting the longevity of miles they are rated at. Also there are a lot of complaints about noise - especially on the Pure Contacts. I'm just not sure the Michelin's are worth the high price tag they are asking if they too don't get the mileage they claim.

The General Altimax RT43's seem to get the best reviews - go figure. I did see a couple of other complaints about the same symptoms I'm getting. (Wobbly ride and flat spot feeling at lower speeds even though they balance out ok)

I'm thinking I got a bum set of tires from General.
post #138 of 147 Old 12-19-2017, 06:37 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I highly recommend the Michelins. Our Camry came with Bridgestones which made the car unpleasant to drive. It wouldn't track straight on the highway so you were constantly having to make corrections to keep it going where you intended. When the Bridgestones finally wore out, on went the Michelins and the car drove like it was a totally different car. I don't think Toyota did a good job with the early versions of electric steering which is where some of the issues came from but for our car at least, it was the tires that were the main issue.

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 147 Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
What I haven't seen mentioned is treadwear. I am the 3rd owner of the car, and according to Carfax, it was on it's 3rd set of tires at 74k miles when I bought it. Apparently, the Hankook 425 is an older series of tire. The 725s I put on have a treadwear rating of 700. My Accord gets 72,000 out of a set of 80,000 mile tires and I expect something similar from the Camry. BTW, the Michelins were priced very close to $150 per tire. The Hankooks are quiet and good riding at 30 psi.
My thoughts on s and v ratings? I shop for quiet, comfort, price, long life, It's not a Corvette, so the speed rating is just an extra detail.
post #140 of 147 Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11camryhyb View Post
What I haven't seen mentioned is treadwear. I am the 3rd owner of the car, and according to Carfax, it was on it's 3rd set of tires at 74k miles when I bought it. Apparently, the Hankook 425 is an older series of tire. The 725s I put on have a treadwear rating of 700. My Accord gets 72,000 out of a set of 80,000 mile tires and I expect something similar from the Camry. BTW, the Michelins were priced very close to $150 per tire. The Hankooks are quiet and good riding at 30 psi.
My thoughts on s and v ratings? I shop for quiet, comfort, price, long life, It's not a Corvette, so the speed rating is just an extra detail.
Huh? Did you read the entire thread?

See post #104. I mention it several times.

Some of your findings on the Hankooks were the same as mine. They were a fine tire and long wearing. Better than the Michelins all around IMO. Especially in the tread life department.

We are now on our 4th set of tires at 270,000 miles. One of the things I have learned about this car (ours) is that the tires wear quickly on the "inside". I have had it aligned 4 times in all those miles and Toyota says it is within spec. To combat this I stay away from directional tires and around 35,000 to 40,000 miles on each set, I have them "flipped" on the rims so the other side gets the wear. I have found that I can get close to 90,000 miles of wear by doing this (if it is a high mileage rated tire).

I'm no expert, but I would think that going lower than a "V" rating would affect the handling some. I have not gone any lower than "V", so I really cannot comment on this.

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #141 of 147 Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Thanked 3,470 Times in 2,817 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
30 psi is most likely low enough to affect the handling of a car, I wouldn't run things that low unless it was specifically mentioned as acceptable by the car manufacture for that model. On a cold day it could be in the low 20 range easy and that is where the Firestone deaths occured.

I ended up putting defenders back on my Camry. I was going to try some other brands but I needed tires to the point I couldn't wait to have others ordered. I got over 90k out of the last set with rotating around every 15k. I expect the same with these.
post #142 of 147 Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdisease View Post
30 psi is most likely low enough to affect the handling of a car, I wouldn't run things that low unless it was specifically mentioned as acceptable by the car manufacture for that model. On a cold day it could be in the low 20 range easy and that is where the Firestone deaths occured.

I ended up putting defenders back on my Camry. I was going to try some other brands but I needed tires to the point I couldn't wait to have others ordered. I got over 90k out of the last set with rotating around every 15k. I expect the same with these.
Agreed... I have always kept min above 32 psi. Usually around 33 to 34psi. I have found that going higher than that does affect the ride quality and the handling can be bad on crappy roads.

That is interesting about the Defenders. Thanks for posting that! I did not get them last time because of the weight. They were VERY heavy compared to other tires I was considering. This was my main reason for not purchasing. I had also read on other forums about balancing issues. Still, they are on my short list for tires next time around.

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #143 of 147 Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Thanked 3,470 Times in 2,817 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
I've never had balancing issues with them. They do increase in road noise in the last 1/3 of their life or so and are not as good in the rain at that point either. The Premier's were outstanding in that regard.
snookwhaler likes this.
post #144 of 147 Old 10-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yesterday wife went to local Mr. Tire and got 2 new front tires (CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 215/55R17) for her 2012 TCH.

When I got home I looked at the tires and they didn't look new at all.

Looked at the receipt, it says "Mfg. Date: 25th week of 2014".

Should I be concerned that the tires are 4 and a half years old already ?

Thx.

Last edited by Oz_TCH; 10-25-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #145 of 147 Old 10-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Not sure what's legal, but if I buy new tires, I expect new tires...

I replaced my Hybrid tires with new Good Year Triple-Treds. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. so far, after having the new tires for about 9 months in Oregon, all is well. We are happy with them.
I believe Goodyear replaced this model of tire with a similar version and name.

2014.5 Camry Hybrid XLE
post #146 of 147 Old 10-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Online review works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
Yesterday wife went to local Mr. Tire and got 2 new front tires (CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 215/55R17) for her 2012 TCH.

When I got home I looked at the tires and they didn't look new at all.

Looked at the receipt, it says "Mfg. Date: 25th week of 2014".

Should I be concerned that the tires are 4 and a half years old already ?

Thx.
Called and complained, the guy said yada yada yada, the tires are under warranty. Nothing he can do.

Then I wrote 2 negative reviews, one on Yelp and one on Google.

This AM, the guy called said he'll have new tires for me by Wednesday and Mfg date would be 2018, if I would remove my negative posts.

Last edited by Oz_TCH; 10-29-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #147 of 147 Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone downsize from the 18" to 16" for winter? Planning on doing 205/65R16 for winter (which is what the base model Camry has) on my 2019 Camry Hybrid SE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid