Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/)
-   Camry Hybrid (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/)
-   -   TIRES thread (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/1551746-tires-thread.html)

bincent 10-23-2009 09:50 AM

225/60/16 - will it fit?

I know that the stock size is 215/60/16 but I just picked up a set of winter tires (Toyo Garit HT) that are 225/60/16 and wondering if there will be any issues.

I know that my speedometer reading will be 1.8% too slow so if I'm reading 60mph, I'll actually be travelling 61.1mph.

Will there be other issues (ie. rubbing) that I'm not aware of?

Otherwise, I've lined up another set of Toyo Observer G-02's that are the correct sizing (215-60-16) but the thing is that they were rated slightly worse than the Garit's.

Garit review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...model=Garit+HT
Observe review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...ve+G%2D02+plus

Now, looking at numbers, they are fairly similar, but reading through the comments, there were much worse comments for the Observe.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if it would be okay to just stick with the Garit's which are slightly off size.

njerald 10-23-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bincent (Post 2958132)
I know that the stock size is 215/60/16 but I just picked up a set of winter tires (Toyo Garit HT) that are 225/60/16 and wondering if there will be any issues.

I know that my speedometer reading will be 1.8% too slow so if I'm reading 60mph, I'll actually be travelling 61.1mph.

Will there be other issues (ie. rubbing) that I'm not aware of?

Otherwise, I've lined up another set of Toyo Observer G-02's that are the correct sizing (215-60-16) but the thing is that they were rated slightly worse than the Garit's.

Garit review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...model=Garit+HT
Observe review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...ve+G%2D02+plus

Now, looking at numbers, they are fairly similar, but reading through the comments, there were much worse comments for the Observe.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if it would be okay to just stick with the Garit's which are slightly off size.

225/60/16 tires will be no problem/have no issues.

bincent 10-25-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njerald (Post 2958590)
225/60/16 tires will be no problem/have no issues.

Thanks! :chug:

Dirtdragon747 02-26-2010 12:39 PM

H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4

Can anyone give me their opinion on the H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4. Is there any noticable difference in ride, handling, etc. The H are speed rated for 130mph & the V is rated at 149mph. Which would you go with & why? Thanks

standonit 02-28-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtdragon747 (Post 3098563)
Can anyone give me their opinion on the H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4. Is there any noticable difference in ride, handling, etc. The H are speed rated for 130mph & the V is rated at 149mph. Which would you go with & why? Thanks

130mph is probably faster than I would drive a Camry Hybrid, so the "H" rated tire would be my choice.
However, the brakes, tires, and suspension of a Camry can be upgraded to offer increased safety at higher speeds.

njerald 03-01-2010 05:41 PM

Go to tirerack.com and compare..

Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated - are cheaper, higher user rated, quieter, longer lasting and considerably less expensive....

98CamryLE 03-01-2010 07:25 PM

I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4s with an 'H' rating on my Camry Hybrid and they are great. I have had them on for about a year and a half and I have had no problems. They have a great ride, great traction, and they provide similar fuel economy to the OEM tires. I really recommend these tires.

Dirtdragon747 03-01-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98CamryLE (Post 3102852)
I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4s with an 'H' rating on my Camry Hybrid and they are great. I have had them on for about a year and a half and I have had no problems. They have a great ride, great traction, and they provide similar fuel economy to the OEM tires. I really recommend these tires.

Thank you for the feed back, that is what I was looking for. Someone who has had them and happy with the overall performance. I did order a set from the Tire Rack and hope to gain a little more tire life than the original Energy's.

VMAN2644 03-04-2010 09:25 AM

H rated

I have the H rated michelins and they work great...They only last about 32000 miles on florida roads and heat. But Michelin gives you credit for not making the 65000 they are supposed to last. On my 2nd set

Frodo65 03-06-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standonit (Post 3101187)
130mph is probably faster than I would drive a Camry Hybrid, so the "H" rated tire would be my choice.
However, the brakes, tires, and suspension of a Camry can be upgraded to offer increased safety at higher speeds.

TCH has a 'hard' limit due to MG2 max speed - it speed is directly proportional to car speed. The governor is set to keep MG2 from grenading itself due to excessive RPM.

So, even if one figured out how to get power enough to exceed the 120 MPH or so governed top speed, the design of the transaxle is such that it would be a very short-lived experiment.

GvilleTCH 03-08-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtdragon747 (Post 3098563)

I wasn't aware that Michelin made a V-rated Primacy MXV4. I know they make a Energy MXV4 S8 in both H-rated and V-rated.

FWIW : With 62,000+ miles on my original Michelin MXV4 S8 V's ; not needing to drive in snow ; not wanting a mileage reduction ; a rebate of $70 from TR and being very happy with them - I purchased another set of Energy MXV4 S8 V's which I will replace @ 65k+- ...

kocho 01-25-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njerald (Post 3102660)
Go to tirerack.com and compare..

Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated - are cheaper, higher user rated, quieter, longer lasting and considerably less expensive....

Why would you (or anyone) say that an H-rated tire will be quieter? Or longer lasting? And in the case of the MXV4s (with the V-spec on sale) the cost difference right now is less than $8 per tire...

My understanding is that the V-rated tire is made of slightly softer compound (compared to same model H-rated) and thus I would expect the V to be quieter than the H. The H might last longer, although the question was for identically rated MXV4s so perhaps there are other changes too...

I am actually looking at exactly the same 2 tires and have not yet decided... There is so much disinformation and plain useless stuff on the Net it is hard to figure out what's what...

As to the *actual* difference b/w two tires that are rated otherwise identically and only differ in the speed rating (H vs. V) I still can't figure out for sure if one will be a softer and quieter ride or not, and which one it would be... Again, either one would work in terms of speed rating, the question is what are the other difference if all else is rated the same (same thread life, same traction, same load rating as in the 2 MXV4 tires in question).

So if anyone has an actual answer to the specific question, based on facts, I'm all ears :naughty:

kocho 01-26-2012 08:46 AM

Well, I'm not going to know the answer on the question about H vs. V rating driving qualitites on a set of otherwise *identical* tires. However, I just checked my current all season tires on the '00 Camry (on 17" wheels). I know they are quieter and more comfortable riding than the previous tires I've had over the years on that and some other cars. Yet, they are probably the best performing than all my previous tires in terms of steering and traction in wet and dry. I wanted to see if they were H or V rated... And guess what - turns out they are "W" rated.

I then proceeded to see how much deflection there was on the sidewal compared to my other car sitting right next to the Camry. Very similar - if I push the wheel sideways with my foot I could not tell if one deflects more or less (similar tire pressure, a bit more on the other car but it has thinner and just a bit taller sidewall S-rated LRR tires that are terrible for turning as they feel squishy).

So sidewall stiffness seemed similar.

But when I tap on the tire sidewall, there is a huge difference - the W rated tire gives sort of dead deep "thunk" sound suggestive of substance and thickness. Where the other car's tire feels thinner and sounds like a much shallower and thin-walled object when tapped.

Basically, while the sidewall is indeed more substantial on the W tire compared to the, it does not feel more rigid. It will likely be stronger without being firmer...

So the speed rating appears to have no direct correlation with ride quality: the W rated tire is quieter and more forgiving of road imprefections than the S rated one in my case of 2 very different all-season tires.

Warminwisco 02-06-2012 06:20 AM

I went from a H Primacy to a V comfortred touring(goodyear) and the handling was crisper with no other penalties. If the car is rated for V buy V period. I have gone below the apeed rating on my Honda and took the tires back luckily to trade up.

mchansen 02-10-2012 04:31 AM

Taller tires

Can anyone tell me if I can fit 225/75-16s on my 2007 camry? I did the math and the old tire had a radius of 13" and this tire would have a radius of 14.5". Will the 1.5" difference cause a rub? I don't care what happens to the speedo.