GENERAL Camry Hybrid questions - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 247 Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Good news, Advent customer support got back to me and is sending me a new SD card. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 247 Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
$75 hybrid fee in Idaho

Well, Idaho just officially became one of the dumbest states in the Union. Effective July 1, if you drive a hybrid vehicle you are subject to an additional $75 fee. Unless you drive a hybrid to feel good, you now need to drive a lot of miles to justify the expense! I know states are facing highway funding issues because of vehicles getting higher mileage, but putting a fee on a select user group isn't the way to go, particularly when that user group is getting ALL the energy they use from gasoline!
post #138 of 247 Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
folks are seriously messed up when they think electricity
is pulled out of thin air.

electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels...
unless it's coming from a nuclear fusion deal.

The scam is this...

instead of you burning fossil fuels in your car...
large corporations are burning that for you.

Either way... it adds up to the same thing.
And so that's the scam.

Big Brother is choosing for you...
and taking away your personal control.

One day the government will tell you
when or not... you will be allowed power up your e car.

good luck with it people...

You are giving away your freedoms of choice
without knowing what you do.

sad

2010 COROLLA LE, AT, 1.8L. (purchased used @ 26K)
2000 TACOMA SR5, 4X, Xcab, MT, 3.4L (147K orig. owner)

Last edited by taco'rolla; 04-14-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 247 Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
What protects the inverter from a coolant leak?

It seems to be common knowledge here that if you change the inverter coolant, you need a tool to run the pump to circulate the new coolant before you start the Hybrid Synergy Drive. If you don't do this, you risk damage (substantial $$) from the inverter overheating. My question is: If the inverter is so easily damaged from a lack of coolant, what protects it in the event that a stone cuts the radiator while I am driving and allows the coolant to leak out?

Rob - 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
post #140 of 247 Old 06-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Official TN Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Nothing... On mine the lower vent in the bumper is the only place where it is exposed. The chances of a rock getting up in there and not hitting one of the cross bars before it hits the radiator is probably about the same as being struck by lightning. Good point though! You wound think they would have some kind of hardware cloth protection or something covering the thing.

I actually have screen covering that opening because of the love bug problem we have down here, so pretty much nothing can get through there besides dust or sand. My application is for bugs. But, I guess if you were paranoid you could do the same thing or something similar for "protection".

Funny thing though.... About 10 years ago with a different car, I took a rock though the grill (behind one of those damn rock trucks) and it took out my A/C condenser on that car. I remember it setting me back around $500 to get it fixed. So, it IS possible.

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #141 of 247 Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 PM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
The MG ECU which is composed of the inverter coolant and the mg motors (mg1 and mg2) has sensors for overheating. They operate independently and will cause the system to limp mode when overheating happens. A check engine will appear (DTC) and a Check Hybrid System will alert of the fault. Nothing will prevent it from overheating if the owner continues to drive it with the DTC on (or Check Hybrid System is showing) for a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolnshibuya For This Useful Post:
restamp (06-15-2015)
post #142 of 247 Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks, lincolnshibuya. My understanding is that the digital "temperature" guage on the dash only reports the engine coolant temp. Is there any indication that the inverter coolant is becoming overheated prior to the system lighting up the idiot lights and going into limp mode?

Rob - 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
post #143 of 247 Old 06-17-2015, 11:41 AM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I think the warning lights (and message) is the indicator and it's up to the owner to check under the hood and decide if it's wise to drive or tow.
Usually the limp mode will let you drive it home (at low power) but just like any overheating problems you don't really know when the components can actually fail.
post #144 of 247 Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Official TN Member

You know..... I remember inverter failure being my biggest fear about this car in the beginning, because I really wanted a Highlander Hybrid. Then I started reading about all the Inverter related failures with those particular vehicles.

Impending doom is at a moments notice. When the traction battery fails, it just fails... THATS IT! Its gone.... By the time the warning lights come on, it's too late.

Limp mode, PFT...When it dies, it's gone and that's it. Yea, it goes into "limp mode". BUT, when it does, the damage is done. Unless something has changed that I don't know about? That is a fact, not an "I think" statement.

It is a good point too. So, what if your inverter failed tomorrow afternoon and you had to pay for it out of pocket?

I can honestly say that my particular car has been great and I have been lucky. BUT, I will never own one again..... Tooche....

280,000 miles

235,000 miles
post #145 of 247 Old 07-09-2015, 02:52 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Camry Hybrid part looks like it exploded.

I don't know what happened here, but my Ex Wife's car was impounded due to abandonment. It is still in my name so they contacted me. The battery of the car was dead and I had no keys, so I wasn't able to do much. I went to look for the jump points under the hood and found this.

There was an orange wire going into this box (it was disconnected)

What part of the HV system is this, and what could have happened here?

(sorry for the crappy pictures)

post #146 of 247 Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
It's your ac compressor I believe. No orange wire. Not sure what is that hanging down.

post #147 of 247 Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus 07 View Post
I got 07 TCH, had it shipped out of the US (where originally purchased with 9 miles, WooHOOO!!!), it hit 110k miles just this week, i do not recall changing transmission oil and coolant either of them, only service have been being done is engine oil and filter change... (i know i am cheap)
Anyway, i have been thinking about replacing Transaxle fluid for the first time, only because the noise on EV mode got noticeably louder... (performance, mileage good as new...)
I am planning just to replace the fluid not to flush. i suspect, since its been too long without changing fluid, if i flush now, there would be high chance something might go wrong.....
Any one have had any issues regarding to my situation?
There is no "flush"... It is a "drain and fill" transmission. If someone told you otherwise, you have been misinformed.

Also, if it has become "noticeably louder", you have other issues. Changing the oil is not going to fix a "noise".

280,000 miles

235,000 miles
post #148 of 247 Old 09-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Where to find a bumper

Hi everyone, long story short - A guy ran into the front of my car. The only thing broken is the plastic bumper and the splash guard underneath. His insurance claims it is 100% my fault (go figure), and now I need to find a budget friendly replacement/repair. I have found both items on ebay for around $400, but i am worried that the paints wont truly match. My TCH is black, and i know over time paint can fade. I dont really want to drop a ton of money on this repair since the car is already over 200K miles.

What would you guys do?
post #149 of 247 Old 09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I had a rear bumper damaged on my 05 Camry at 70k and I bought an eBay painted bumper and installed it myself. It was a light green metallic and you could not tell it from the original. I believe I paid around 300 for the bumper and a few bucks for a few new fasteners. It took a couple hours to pull the old and install the new. Black may be a more challenging color to match, not sure, but with the miles you have I'd be doing it myself and keep the costs low.

2014 TAH Touring, Classic Silver/Black
2010 Tundra DC SR-5 Slate/Gray

post #150 of 247 Old 09-25-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Picture is worth a thousand words. My kid ran his Eclipse into a raccoon and put a huge crack into the bumper COVER. OP, what you broke is not bumper, it's bumper cover.
So I patched his cover with fiberglass cloth and resin, from behind.
It depends. Once again, it boils down to your sense of aesthetics and ability to drive around with something that is not looking that good.
Otherwise, bumper cover paint job is $400 or so. I had my rear one done for a hundred, but I have the right neighbor, you know.
You may try calling around and locating one same color at a salvage yard maybe?
Unless you are local to me and I can hook you up with my guy. Auburn WA.
Also try this place:

http://www.certifit.com/t-storeProducts.aspx

as I used them quite a few times. Inexpensive. You may look into local stores availability. But you'll still need to paint the cover from them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid