GENERAL Camry Hybrid questions - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 247 Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
to member who paid over $500 after battery swap

I am trying to find, who was the member that ended up with bunch of error codes after 12V battery replacement.

If you are still around - holler back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 247 Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Edr

just so that you know:

EDR (EVENT DATA RECORDER)
The airbag sensor assembly monitors and control certain aspects of the vehicle. These computers assist in driving and maintaining optimal vehicle performance. Besides storing data useful for troubleshooting, there is a system to record data in a crash or a near car crash event. This is called the Event Data Recorder (EDR). The airbag sensor assembly contains the EDR. In a crash or a near car crash event, this device may record some or all of the following information:
Engine speed
Whether the brake pedal was applied or not
Vehicle speed
To what extent the accelerator pedal was depressed
Position of the transmission selector lever
Whether the driver and front passenger wore seat belts or not
Driver’s seat position SRS airbag deployment data
SRS airbag system diagnostic data
The information above is intended to be used for the purpose of improving vehicle safety performance. Unlike general data recorders, the EDR does not record sound data such as conversation between passengers.
Toyota will not disclose the data recorded in an EDR to a third party except when:
An agreement from the vehicle’s owner (or the leasing company for a leased vehicle) is obtained
Officially requested by the police or other authorities Used as a defense for Toyota in a law suit Ordered by the court
However, if necessary Toyota will: Use the data for research on Toyota vehicle safety performance
Disclose the data to a third party for research purposes without disclosing details of the vehicle owner, and only when it is deemed necessary
Disclose summarized data cleared of vehicle identification information to a non-Toyota organization for research purposes

So, my question is - when exactly do they collect those "research data"? Every time you go to a dealership?

post #33 of 247 Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So, my question is - when exactly do they collect those "research data"? Every time you go to a dealership?
The short answer is no. They collect the data every time you smash your car up to the point where the air bags deploy, and then Toyota gets their hands on it.

The reason is data storage. Like aircraft event recorders they have limited memory and the data is constantly being written over old data. The time interval between recording events can be very very short, milliseconds, so data is being recorded at a high rate. So, they may only record the last few minutes before air bag deployment. The deployment then freezes the data so they can determine what happened in the few minutes before the air bag went off.

There is no doubt about what this is used for. They want it to defend themselves against ambulance chasing lawyers. These same lawyers have been trying very hard to make use of this data illegal. Why? Because what the data says may just happen to differ slightly from the verbal account of the client. "No, your honor, I was only going 30 mph, and I put my foot on the brake as soon as I saw..." Event Recorder: "speed 60 mph, foot taken off accelerator 0.5 seconds before air bag deployment, brake pedal never touched..."

Have not followed it closely but I think the ambulance chasers have lost this one, and Toyota, and Police can get the data, and use it in court. You are right. It is something to be aware of before you go to court.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid

Last edited by Ron AKA; 11-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 247 Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Curious, how many attorneys know about this. Same likely goes for any more or less modern vehicle.

post #35 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
How to find low priced, Top Tier gas

I use gasbuddy to find the lowest priced top tier gas in town. The town here is not very big making it easy to drive to any station for gas. I found a phillips 66 station located in a Lowe's grocery store parking lot.

Only a block away is a Sav-O-Mat 'no-name brand' gas station that's usually the low priced leader in town. It's a easy choice for me to pay about 3 cents per gallon more to keep my Camry engine clean and in top shape by using the Phillips top tier gas.

This Phillips 66 and other top tier brands, Shell and Chevron are trucked here from El Paso. The no-name government based gasoline's come from a small refinery about 100 miles east of our city. Same company brands are, chevron/texaco, conoco/phillips 66/76 and exxon/mobil

Open the site below and watch the video then the link Retailers to see the list. Notice a huge company like british petroleum, BP is not a top tier brand. Top tier brands use near twice the additives as the government based brands.

Here is the www.toptiergas.com/ web site which list all the top tier brands of gas.

This is the gas buddy site I use, type in your city, state or zip code to review your local stations and their current prices.

http://gasbuddy.com/

This screen shot below makes it easy to see why I choose the top tier Phillips 66 station over all the others.

post #36 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Thanked 3,472 Times in 2,818 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
I just try to find something that doesn't have the ethanol in it. It is getting harder and harder to find. I have my local stations but drive all over for work and it can be a real pain. Do you have any handy nationwide site that lists non ethanol stations? It costs me about 2-3 mpg
post #37 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
This Phillips 66 and other top tier brands, Shell and Chevron are trucked here from El Paso. The no-name government based gasoline's come from a small refinery about 100 miles east of our city. Same company brands are, chevron/texaco, conoco/phillips 66/76 and exxon/mobil
Another potentially better option is to find a Costco gas station that sells their new Kirkland Clean Power gasoline.

Instead of 2X the EPA detergent additive, they add 5X the additive. This is the same concentration as Shell V-Power, but Shell makes you buy the premium grade to get 5X the additive. Costco put it in both regular and premium.

You can find Costco locations that provide it at this link. Unfortunately we do not have it yet in our city in Canada. I e-mailed Costco and they claim it is coming.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid

Last edited by Ron AKA; 12-03-2012 at 02:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron AKA For This Useful Post:
Curtis_TX (12-03-2012)
post #38 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Account canceled due to butthurt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdisease View Post
I just try to find something that doesn't have the ethanol in it. It is getting harder and harder to find. I have my local stations but drive all over for work and it can be a real pain. Do you have any handy nationwide site that lists non ethanol stations? It costs me about 2-3 mpg
http://pure-gas.org/
post #39 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I checked a few of the entries in Canada, and would suggest that this is a highly unreliable source of information for Canada. It appears anyone can put any gas station on the list. It is just an opinion, guess, or fabrication.

In Canada every province except Newfoundland and Labrador mandates that ethanol MUST be added to gasoline. Some premium grades used to advertise that they were ethanol free. I can't find any that do now.

Due to the way the regulations work, it is possible that some gas is ethanol free. Consistently finding it is another matter. Regulations in all provinces say it can't contain MORE than 10%. Provinces vary on what the minimum % has to be. I recall it varies from 5% to 7.5% with Saskatchewan and Manitoba having the highest minimum. But the big hooker is that this is an annual average by retailer. So you could fill up once and get 10%, and another time and get 0%. All they are regulated to is the average at the end of the year.

Bottom line it is a Canadian wild goose chase trying to find gas without ethanol. Not sure if the regulations are similar in the US.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid

Last edited by Ron AKA; 12-03-2012 at 05:29 PM.
post #40 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here in Colorado there a few stations that carry full strength fuel. It is actually against the law onlong the Front Range of Colorado to put non-ethanol fuel in your car or truck. It can be put in small engines and motorcycles and boats.

I did not know that about Costco--I will have to get that infor verified.

Brad
post #41 of 247 Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I use any app or website that connects to the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) OPIS is a industry wide database of real-time card swipes at the pump. More accurate than sites relying anonymous website updates that could be 2 days or more old, or from a gas station manager drumming up business claiming faux prices.

02 Camry XLE 2AZ-FE 332k M1 HM 5w30
99 Avalon 95k PP 5w30
13 Malibu 16k PP 5w20

Last edited by leakyseals; 12-03-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #42 of 247 Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior TN Member

I actually met Liz Carmichael and her fantastic 70 mph car..

This is a story well worth reading, from white sands.

Not sure if anyone remembers the Dale Sports car. It was a three wheeled car driven by the single rear wheel. Any repairs they simply dropped the small engine wheel assembly out and installed a loaner till your engine was fixed that same day. The company left it's so called headquarters in California and appeared in a really nice office building located on north LBJ freeway in Dallas. I left work to go meet Ms. Carmichael as the daily Dallas talk shows had been talking all about this revolutionary car.

A guy I worked with gave me one of their sales brochures showing how the car worked and future models that would be offered later. The car could turn a tighter circle then any car made. It was light weight and could get 70 mpg is what caught my eye. I never though how loud the 2-cylinder engine would be in the back if it were not super insulated from the cabin.

I remember she was on a live Dallas talk radio station one night with many interested callers asking all about the car. I actually shook hands with her one day. I left work on my lunch hour and drove about 7 miles of freeways to meet her and get more brochures. It felt kind of strange when she stood up from behind her desk all dressed up with her big hairdo and being over 6 foot tall in her not so steady high heels. I think she noticed we were looking eye to eye and I was 6' 4" myself. Here below read the stories and what happened to her and her great car.

Geraldine Elizabeth "Liz" Carmichael was an American entrepreneur who marketed the three-wheel Dale sports car in 1975.

The Dale car, a design of Dale Clift, was supposed to be produced by Twentieth Century Motor Car Corporation in California. According to Twentieth Century's 1975 brochure, it had a two-cylinder engine, would reach 70 miles per US gallon (3.4 L/100 km; 84 mpg-imp) and would cost $2000. The body was to be constructed out of 'rocket structural resin' that would withstand damage well. There were only three prototype copies ever made and only one of them could move under its own power.

Here is what happened..

The story is below the picture on this first link.

one more involving a young nurse..

http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/n...c/02/index.php

Here are some pictures of her and various shots of her Dale Sports car that was never to be.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....2.fZ1eaai90oU
post #43 of 247 Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Official TN Member

"Here are some pictures of her and various shots of her Dale Sports car that was never to be." Hey. I think that guy was in line ahead of me at Country Mart the other day! Is there a reward for finding him?

We buy a car every nine years.
The problem is they don't quit working.
94 Camry, 03 Camry, 2012 Camry Hybrid - all in use.
post #44 of 247 Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsOzarks View Post
"Here are some pictures of her and various shots of her Dale Sports car that was never to be." Hey. I think that guy was in line ahead of me at Country Mart the other day! Is there a reward for finding him?
Was their a 3-wheels Dale Sorts car in the parking lot. lol
No he was caught and sent up for a few years the then dying years later, in 2004. He really had people fooled trying to get them to sign up and buy into his pre-order car deal. I was hooked, but my smart wife said no-way. She controlled the money as I never could save any. Somehow she could sense that this 70 mpg car was a bad idea.
post #45 of 247 Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
Was their a 3-wheels Dale Sorts car in the parking lot. lol...
Yes there was a three wheel in the lot. I thought it was a Reliant Robin.

We buy a car every nine years.
The problem is they don't quit working.
94 Camry, 03 Camry, 2012 Camry Hybrid - all in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid