GENERAL Camry Hybrid questions - Page 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

 11Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 79
Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I generally don't like Hondas, so it's really a moot point to me what mileage they get. I'm happy with my TCH. there's very little to complain about it and a lot that I like, so I'm good for the time being.

Dave - 2007 Sienna, 2012 Camry Hybrid
dave1812 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanks: 129
Thanked 163 Times in 121 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
This is not the plug in Accord. It's a brand new hybrid power train for Honda.

I welcome the competition. Toyota needs the competition. They own too much of the hybrid market. I'm not knocking Toyota's product. But who doesn't think it could be even better? Competition will make them make it better sooner.

If Honda brought back an Accord hatchback (not the bloated, hideous Crosstour) as a hybrid, I think they could have a real Prius competitor.

As for this Accord's mpg: be interesting to see how it does in the wintertime. I know I can get 50 mpg city in the summer. Not in the winter.

I'm also dying to see what kind of trunk space was sacrificed.



2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
Nilnoc is offline  
post #78 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thanks: 49
Thanked 120 Times in 109 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My goof, at first I found the plug-in version and now found the hybrid version.

Here below the Accord Hybrid mentions it's using a Lithium-ion battery. I would be interesting to see both this new Honda hybrid vs the TCH in a standing start drag race.

from copy..
50 city/45 highway/47 combined mpg rating. Based on 2014 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, lithium-ion battery age/condition, and other factors.

I hear the word Accord I remember it was Honda that came with the first mid size car, the Accord. Once they got into the auto manufacturing business one of their very first cars was the super compact long lasting little Honda Civic. Even then it had dual spark plugs per cylinder and with it's high revving 4-cyl engine. Who would believe the Honda engines would one day power the Indy 500 cars.

http://hpd.honda.com/about/

Honda and Toyota have been close competitors in engine and hybrid development.

This web site covers it all on the new Accord Hybrid. This sounds like a really nice car and may get the high mpg it claims.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n_first_drive/

Last edited by WhiteSands; 09-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.
WhiteSands is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #79 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Official TN Member
 
N3FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Honda? Nope. Not buying a Honda. FWIW, Toyota will do something better someday. As mentioned before, I love my TCH with no complaints so far.

Good Luck to Honda.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
N3FOL is offline  
post #80 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanks: 129
Thanked 163 Times in 121 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I've always liked Hondas, beginning with the CB160 I had in college.

Then three Accords, a Civic HX (that was getting 42 mpg back in 1998), and a smooth revving Acura TSX. All with manual trannys. They were all good cars for us.

When we were car shopping last November, the Accord and Crosstour were on the list. Mrs. Nilnoc nixed them after sitting in the front seat. Never got as far as a test drive. Something about them just would not put a smile on my wife's face. The new Accord hybrid would also fail that test.



2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
Nilnoc is offline  
post #81 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 79
Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilnoc View Post
I've always liked Hondas, beginning with the CB160 I had in college.

Then three Accords, a Civic HX (that was getting 42 mpg back in 1998), and a smooth revving Acura TSX. All with manual trannys. They were all good cars for us.

When we were car shopping last November, the Accord and Crosstour were on the list. Mrs. Nilnoc nixed them after sitting in the front seat. Never got as far as a test drive. Something about them just would not put a smile on my wife's face. The new Accord hybrid would also fail that test.
Smart woman

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Dave - 2007 Sienna, 2012 Camry Hybrid
dave1812 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dave1812 For This Useful Post:
Nilnoc (09-07-2013)
post #82 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands View Post
My goof, at first I found the plug-in version and now found the hybrid version.

Here below the Accord Hybrid mentions it's using a Lithium-ion battery. I would be interesting to see both this new Honda hybrid vs the TCH in a standing start drag race.

from copy..
50 city/45 highway/47 combined mpg rating. Based on 2014 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, lithium-ion battery age/condition, and other factors.

I hear the word Accord I remember it was Honda that came with the first mid size car, the Accord. Once they got into the auto manufacturing business one of their very first cars was the super compact long lasting little Honda Civic. Even then it had dual spark plugs per cylinder and with it's high revving 4-cyl engine. Who would believe the Honda engines would one day power the Indy 500 cars.

http://hpd.honda.com/about/

Honda and Toyota have been close competitors in engine and hybrid development.

This web site covers it all on the new Accord Hybrid. This sounds like a really nice car and may get the high mpg it claims.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n_first_drive/
Looks like the Accord is slightly slower than the TCH in 0-60 time. .3 seconds to be exact so not a huge difference. It certainly beats the Fusion Hybrid which, if I recall correctly, is above the 8 second second mark.
No mention of the trunk space in the Motortrend review. Also noted that Honda America claims EPA mileage of 49 mpg in city, not the 50 claimed in the NBC story. I know it's only one mpg difference but it drives me nuts when the media stretch the truth for the sake of a headline.
operasam is offline  
post #83 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Glad to hear that. I like Honda - they are first and foremost a company dedicated to engines as their core competence, not just cars per se. Hence you see Honda racing engines, Honda motorcycles, Honda lawnmowers, etc. Anything with an internal combustion engine is fair game.Their vehicles also tend to be sportier than Toyota equivalents - more enjoyable to drive, sometimes at the expense of comfort. That's why the Accord has won so many Car and Driver best Midsize sedan awards.

We in the US think of Honda and Toyota as somewhat equivalent Japanese car companies but in reality Honda is much smaller, it's just that they have a relatively large US market share compared to other world markets. Toyota is the 800 lb gorilla in the room when it comes to worldwide car manufacturing. Both really excellent, but reflecting slightly different design priorities in the execution.

I always tend to root for the smaller guy, and have always liked Honda cars and motorcycles so I hope it turns out to be successful.

JRB_NW is offline  
post #84 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 79
Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB_NW View Post
Glad to hear that. I like Honda - they are first and foremost a company dedicated to engines as their core competence, not just cars per se. Hence you see Honda racing engines, Honda motorcycles, Honda lawnmowers, etc. Anything with an internal combustion engine is fair game.Their vehicles also tend to be sportier than Toyota equivalents - more enjoyable to drive, sometimes at the expense of comfort. That's why the Accord has won so many Car and Driver best Midsize sedan awards.

We in the US think of Honda and Toyota as somewhat equivalent Japanese car companies but in reality Honda is much smaller, it's just that they have a relatively large US market share compared to other world markets. Toyota is the 800 lb gorilla in the room when it comes to worldwide car manufacturing. Both really excellent, but reflecting slightly different design priorities in the execution.

I always tend to root for the smaller guy, and have always liked Honda cars and motorcycles so I hope it turns out to be successful.
the largest Honda I've owned is a Gold Wing...

Dave - 2007 Sienna, 2012 Camry Hybrid
dave1812 is offline  
post #85 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I am a big time Honda fan and have owned many over the years. That being said, Honda hybrid technology, durability and support sucks. Spend some time reading all the issues with the civic hybrid batteries. I don't care what kind of mileage it gets, get back with me years down the road and let me know how reliable it is...........

I'll stick with Toyota thanks for my hybrid.

And in full disclosure, the car before this TCH was a Honda Accord and the wife currently drives an Acura Mdx. Love regular Hondas, don't trust their hybrids as far as I can throw them.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid-Rear Spoiler, 6th gen SE wheels, 35% Tint
2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT
habu968 is offline  
post #86 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I agree that Honda is going to have to prove this on the road before I get interested. Toyota is the only game in town for proven hybrid systems. But man oh man, I hope Honda catches up. I miss my Honda steering wheel so badly. I don't understand how Toyota could mess up the Camry steering wheel so badly.
embeddedmatt is offline  
post #87 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
ukrkoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Thanks: 39
Thanked 436 Times in 383 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Dudes and dudetts, don't jump to any conclusions or onto any plans.
REAL hybrids are coming. Well, they were already made, over 100 years ago, one Lohner Porcshe in my avatar. Thing is, it had 2, then 4 motor wheels. THAT is the best set up ever.
Later, Jag came up with a killer hybrid, 4 motor wheels, powered by electricity produce by 2 small turbines in the trunk, running virtually on everything that burns. 196 Hp each wheel. Do your math. That car was rated to 67 mpg on ANY fuel.
They killed production.
But!! I know that right now, someone is working our motor wheels for hybrids.
Those will be hybrids I'll consider. Just think about potential. Steering - superb. You could turn thing on a dime, simply running wheels in opposite directions. 4WD - superb. Power - superb. Antiskid and all that - superb. Acceleration - superb.


At the age of 18, Ferdinand Porsche boarded a train in North Bohemia, Austria-Hungary (now Czech Republic), and headed for Vienna to embark on his first job. Despite having no formal engineering education, Jacob Lohner, at his Lohner-Werke employed Porsche to develop an electric powertrain for his coaches. Porsche's prototype car boasted a low-friction drivetrain, due to the hub-mounted electric motors directly driving the wheels. Each internal-pole electric motor was capable of 2.5 hp (1.9 kW) to 3.5 hp (2.6 kW) peaking to 7 hp (5.2 kW) for short bursts.
The 1898 "System Lohner-Porsche" created a press whirlwind across Europe. Lohner received his first order from E.W. Hart, himself a coachbuilder of Luton, Britain. Hart asked for significant modifications. His vehicle was to be capable of running on petrol as well as electricity, of carrying four passengers, and employ four-wheel drive. The custom coach was a monster dubbed 'La Toujours Contente', a jab at record-holder Camille Jenatzy's electric 'La Jamais Contente', and was exhibited at the December 1900 Paris Exhibition. The enormous Lohner required 1.8 tonnes of batteries consisting of a forty-four cell 80 volt lead-acid battery, all housed in a spring-suspended battery container to protect the fragile cells. The 4 electric motors weighed a total of 1280 pounds, contributing to a total vehicle weight of over 4 tonnes on its Continental pneumatic tires. With a battery capacity of approximately 270 amp-hours and 4 forward speeds, the 56-horsepower coach ran in several expositions and competitions. It cost 15,000 Austrian Crowns.



Jaguar C-X75 Manufacturer Jaguar Production Cancelled[1] Predecessor Jaguar XJ220 Class Sports-prototype Engineelectric-gas turbineJaguar C-X75 is a hybrid-electric, two-seat, concept car from Jaguar which debuted at the 2010 Paris Motor Show. The C-X75 concept produces 778 horsepower through four electric motors, each of which drives one of the four wheels. The batteries driving these motors are recharged using two diesel-fed micro gas turbines instead of a conventional four-stroke engine.[2] It is described as an ideas model that will influence future design and technology.[3]
The C-X75 was named in honour of Jaguar’s 75th anniversary, the C stands for concept and the X for experimental.[2][4]



ukrkoz is offline  
post #88 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ukrkoz, the wheel motor hybrid drivetrain you seek is already available, but you might have trouble fitting it in your garage. Komatsu mining trucks feature wheel motors and are diesel series hybrid -- exactly as you describe. You might also be interested in a diesel electric locomotive.
embeddedmatt is offline  
post #89 of 247 Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just got rid of a Honda Civic Hybrid.
Anybody buying a Honda hybrid (or EV) today has to be either very brave or ignorant.
dborn is offline  
post #90 of 247 Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Morris, Il
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by embeddedmatt View Post
I miss my Honda steering wheel so badly. I don't understand how Toyota could mess up the Camry steering wheel so badly.
My sentiments exactly. It's the one thing I truly dislike about ours. We just got back from 2 weeks of driving in Ireland and there would be no way in the world Toyota would get away with the mushy, zero feedback steering that we get in the US. Maybe that's why I saw very few Toyotas there and even fewer Hondas.

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
gin man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome