GENERAL Camry Hybrid questions - Page 7 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 247 Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin man View Post
My sentiments exactly. It's the one thing I truly dislike about ours. We just got back from 2 weeks of driving in Ireland and there would be no way in the world Toyota would get away with the mushy, zero feedback steering that we get in the US. Maybe that's why I saw very few Toyotas there and even fewer Hondas.
To me, that's just the nature of the beast. I kinda like that comfy, laid back driving style, especially when driving on straight highways and boulevards. I also have a 1992 Mazda Miata/MX-5 (tuned for performance and handling) so I understand sharp steering and road feel but if you want that, the Camry just might not be the right car...

To each his own I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 247 Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is Honda's first real hybrid, not the old IMA crap. I would give them the benefit of the doubt before blowing them off completely. Competition is good and this would only make both companies stronger. If the price is right, then I may want to jump on one.

1992 Acura Legend LS

-auto
-4 door
-stock
post #93 of 247 Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 PM
New TN User

I certainly hope this one beats the '07 Honda Accord Hybrid which, judging by the numbers, offered nothing of value (outside of lower emissions) to those wanting hybrid technology. It offered 24 mpg city and 32 mpg highway, only slightly beating out the numbers available on the far cheaper 4 cyl Accord but for an asking price that was so much higher than the 4 cyl that the payback time exceeded 10 years. It did have 240 hp but then so did the 6 cyl for far less money. Plus the six still offered respectable enough gas mileage that it made no sense to buy the hybrid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 247 Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
This is Honda's first real hybrid, not the old IMA crap. I would give them the benefit of the doubt before blowing them off completely. Competition is good and this would only make both companies stronger. If the price is right, then I may want to jump on one.
My problem is not with the "old IMA crap", it wasn't that bad if you put in the effort, it's with their attitude in dealing with the problems (reprogramming the ECU to lower the use of the IMA, suppressing the battery problem indicator and then, pretending there's no problem even when it is clearly evident that the battery is dying/dead).
post #95 of 247 Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM
New TN User

I think Honda will be accurate on their number. But I read the price tage will be aroung $38k. A lot more than the Camry. Someone will have to run the numbers to see if the extra money is with the 10 extra MPG.

post #96 of 247 Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker85 View Post
I think Honda will be accurate on their number. But I read the price tage will be aroung $38k. A lot more than the Camry. Someone will have to run the numbers to see if the extra money is with the 10 extra MPG.
As yet there has been no EPA mileage test, only numbers reported by American Honda.
With the hole that Ford and Hyundai dug themselves with exaggerated mileage claims I think most companies going forward will at least attempt to provide as accurate an MPG figure as possible in order to avoid lawsuits and maintain the trust of the car buying public.
I am also curious about the price tag. The '12 TCH carried, for me at least, a $3K premium over the 4 cyl version. My individual driving style will allow me to recoup that cost in under 4 years, all the while enjoying the performance, maintenance and emissions advantages offered by the hybrid.
post #97 of 247 Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM
New TN User

http://www.sullivanbrostoyotaaccessories.com

They have the lowest price for a spoiler with install kit that I have found.
post #98 of 247 Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
shouldn't spoilers be for muscle cars?

Dave - 2007 Sienna, 2012 Camry Hybrid
post #99 of 247 Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 PM
It's Official

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Thanked 1,071 Times in 880 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
if you need to find OEM replacement parts with part numbers so you can google it to find the best price for the part number, check out midatlantictoyotaparts.com . Several other Toyota replacement parts websites will get you the right part, but won't give you the part number. W/ the part number you can google it and find the best price for it.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
post #100 of 247 Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 AM
TCH Lover, Not Obsessed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Spoiler

Quote:
They have the lowest price for a spoiler with install kit that I have found.
So aptly named!

Thanks!

post #101 of 247 Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Disappearing VSC light

OK, I'll start new thread on this as it's different from discussed before.
I have INTERMITTENT Check VSC light. It will come on for no good reason, then disappear after car parked for few hrs. Give or take 100 miles or so, it'll come up again.

Thoughts? Car drives fine, only 0.2 decrease in average mpg which is easily understood winter time.

About the only thing wrong is whoomp sound from rear, ONLY after she was parked for long time, and ONLY right after take off. 1st 10 seconds or so, she can do 1 to 3 of those whoomps, and not always. Rainy weather appears to facilitate the noise.
I also noticed that those whoomps come usually when the rear end goes up and down. Can't reproduce it by pushing trunk area down. I thought it was brake pad catching on rotor, but does not explain up-down situation. I HAD HER TORN APART IN THE REAR SEVERAL TIMES, NOTHING SHOWS WRONG.Nothing. Can not reproduce whoomp by spinning wheel also. No leaks etc. Total mystery.
But the light started coming up AFTER whoomps started, about 2 months later, and whoomps started after rear rotors and pads and shoes were replaced.

post #102 of 247 Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You should have SOME code in the stability computer memory - you just need the right scan tool to get at it. The 'generic' readers typically don't have the code to access all the computers on the CAN.
post #103 of 247 Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Frodo, I DID have her scanned with pro scanner. Gregg's Japanese Auto has one. reads ANY codes.

post #104 of 247 Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Out of round rear tire caused by the cold...and when you start going, it rounds out? I've seen this with tires before; however, usually, the 'whoomp-whoomp' lasts a little longer before it stops, as the tire warms up....but I'm throwing it out there just in case..... This could affect the VSC as it detects slippage on that wheel??
post #105 of 247 Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tire is OK. Rear end does not bounce up and down. I can swear, it's brake pads rubbing on rotor at take off, but what has up-down movement to do with this?

History wise, it all started after I replaced rear brake pads. Aftermarket ceramics. About 2 weeksa down the road, whoomp was heard. We had very similar situation on wife's RX300, I finally took ceramics off the front end and replaced them with semi mets, and noise was gone.

I know what I'll do. I'll go buy OEM brake pads and replace aftermarket ones. Heck with money, no big deal. My gut feeling is, as this is really intermittent issue, it's something very simple. Maybe pads are not set right on brackets, or else, and this car has so many sensor and is so sensitive to anything, that it might as well cause VSC/ABS light. Simple example. Same RX300 has "bad rear light" sign on dash for over a year now. ALL lights work just fine, tested many times. BUT! several light bulbs are aftermarket replacement. Word is, ECM is super sensitive to slight specs difference between OEM and aftermarket bulbs, and will toss that warning on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid