Low Engine Oil Pressure - Quick Advice Needed - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry Hybrid Discussion area for the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving Americas favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 272 Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Chimicles & Tikellis is investigating a potential class action lawsuit on behalf of Toyota owners and lessees experiencing engine oil consumption. Certain Toyota models (including Camry, Corolla, Matrix, RAV4 and Solara) may contain defective piston rings in the engine causing excessive oil consumption. http://www.chimicles.com/toyota-engi...-investigation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 272 Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 PM
G17
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedin302 View Post
Chimicles & Tikellis is investigating a potential class action lawsuit on behalf of Toyota owners and lessees experiencing engine oil consumption. Certain Toyota models (including Camry, Corolla, Matrix, RAV4 and Solara) may contain defective piston rings in the engine causing excessive oil consumption. http://www.chimicles.com/toyota-engi...-investigation

About time.
post #138 of 272 Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Ken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedin302 View Post
Any idea of the model years this is for? My daughter has an '03 Corolla that uses a couple of quarts between 5k mile changes so it would be nice if it was included.

Ken
'16 Avalon XLE Premium Hybrid
'15 Prius Three
'09 TCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 272 Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Put a finger into the tailpipe (beyond what a dealer prepper would clean) and see if you get any oil residue. My sister's Saturn (With bad rings on one cyliner and 3qt/mo consumption) had big globs of dirty burned oil in the tailpipe. Not a failsafe check as it may get cleaned deep and good, but I'd steer clear if there is any heavy burned oil residual in the tailpipe.
post #140 of 272 Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSoren View Post
Any idea of the model years this is for? My daughter has an '03 Corolla that uses a couple of quarts between 5k mile changes so it would be nice if it was included.
Well according to that page and in the last paragraph they are referring to people who complained about oil consumption while still under warranty and Toyota doing nothing.

That is what I got out of it. If you have a 2003. Chances are you are way out of the factory warranty on mileage and time. Unless you have documented paperwork showing that you went to the dealer and complained about oil consumption while still under warranty, forget it...

2008 TCH Magnetic Grey on Black
280,000 miles

1999 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 V6/auto White on Oak
235,000 miles
post #141 of 272 Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There are thousands of lawsuits going on for every manufacturer. Most are frivolous. But there is a problem with Toyota engines consuming oil. I should email them and tell them its not the rings, its bad piston designs on more than one model.

98-02 1ZZ-FE - clogged pistion oil returns that are too small too few
02-06 2AZ-FE - same problem as the 98-02 1ZZ-FE
07-09 2AZ-FE - changed the piston design to get rid of the clogging problem creating a new set of problems requiring yet another piston design.

In all 3 cases its the piston itself.

02 Camry XLE 2AZ-FE 332k M1 HM 5w30
99 Avalon 95k PP 5w30
13 Malibu 16k PP 5w20

Last edited by leakyseals; 11-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to leakyseals For This Useful Post:
G17 (11-19-2013)
post #142 of 272 Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM
2007 TCH owner

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Don't stick with one dealership, try other dealerships. I went to one of the dealership closest to my work and they always say that it's normal. I went to the other one that's close to my house and they say it's definitely consuming oil and took the job under warranty (extended warranty - I'm way beyond the manufacturers). It did take me several months to prove it.
post #143 of 272 Old 12-02-2013, 12:24 PM
New TN User

2007 engine shuddered/rough upon start up

has about 75K miles and always maintained by dealer

it was about 70 degrees out, started it up and the engine ran really rough...almost like the timing was off or something.
it shuddered pretty badly.

so we shut it off.

a few minutes later, started it again, and same thing...but this time let it run for about 15 seconds...at which point it smoothed out and ran fine.

This car is my inlaws, and they were up visiting over thanksgiving...
I scanned for codes with my reader and found nothing.

so we took it too the dealer (on the third start up it was fine)

they could find nothing wrong and sent us home.

It has been started a few times so far since and the problem has not cropped up again.

I looked around in the engine bay and found a small amount of coolant puddling on a shelf of the water pump (or close to it anyways)
the coolant reserve tank was about mid level between full and low.

but I've never known a bad or going bad water pump to do that to an engine...

thoughts?
post #144 of 272 Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshoe View Post
has about 75K miles and always maintained by dealer

it was about 70 degrees out, started it up and the engine ran really rough...almost like the timing was off or something.
it shuddered pretty badly.

so we shut it off.

a few minutes later, started it again, and same thing...but this time let it run for about 15 seconds...at which point it smoothed out and ran fine.

This car is my inlaws, and they were up visiting over thanksgiving...
I scanned for codes with my reader and found nothing.

so we took it too the dealer (on the third start up it was fine)

they could find nothing wrong and sent us home.

It has been started a few times so far since and the problem has not cropped up again.

I looked around in the engine bay and found a small amount of coolant puddling on a shelf of the water pump (or close to it anyways)
the coolant reserve tank was about mid level between full and low.

but I've never known a bad or going bad water pump to do that to an engine...

thoughts?
Mine has done that a few times as well. 3 that I can remember. I found that the last two times it happened, I had moved the car (cold) in the driveway to accommodate some guests for a party in our driveway. The next morning on start up, it felt like the engine was coming apart, ran horrible, etc... Upon shut off and restart and about 10 seconds of running rough, it would smooth out.

I could not duplicate it for the dealer either. Now I make the sure the car is fully warmed up before shutting it off. It has not done it in about 40,000 miles now, so I assume all is OK.

280,000 miles

235,000 miles
post #145 of 272 Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The older TCH models (pre 2010) were susceptible to water pump seal leaks. Probably unrelated to the rough engine. There have been some issues with rough running caused by a defective variable intake valve timing mechanism. However it only lasts for a few seconds.

Rough running is probably a dealer issue to resolve. If you are a do it yourselfer, I recall there are instructions on how to change the water pump on the greenhybrid forum.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
post #146 of 272 Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Yep, same here. Mine did it to me maybe twice. It does sound like it's falling apart and several folks around here experienced same.
No one really knows why. It's not persistent and appears to go away by itself. No one reported any major disaster following.
My opinion is, all the gears in engine and HSD simply mulalign once in a while causing this. As she does not really have starter, it has to be all perfectly aligned in all the worm gears involved.
She does not have hydraulic lifters to blame it on low oil pressure.
I'd say, simply join the club. Take it easy and keep driving.

post #147 of 272 Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Hybrids: Rav4 & Camry

I've also had this 3 or 4 times in my '09 (essentially the same as an '07 - we have one of those too!). I, too, have read of others reporting the same problem. No lasting effects. Hasn't happened in a long time, though.
post #148 of 272 Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookwhaler View Post
Mine has done that a few times as well. 3 that I can remember. I found that the last two times it happened, I had moved the car (cold) in the driveway to accommodate some guests for a party in our driveway. The next morning on start up, it felt like the engine was coming apart, ran horrible, etc... Upon shut off and restart and about 10 seconds of running rough, it would smooth out.

I could not duplicate it for the dealer either. Now I make the sure the car is fully warmed up before shutting it off. It has not done it in about 40,000 miles now, so I assume all is OK.
Snook, I think you got it.
I posted in this thread yesterday, bluh bluh, and guess what - I had that shudder this morning!!'
And guess what I did yesterday? I moved her a little bit, back and for, inside garage, to fit better onto my lift, as I was installing studdies on the front. Couple feet truly.
Boom!! Cold start in the morning (45 inside garage) and there it goes, entire car shaking in earthquake. I just let it run, and she calmed down in about 5-6 seconds, picked up, and took me to Seattle (30 miles) without a glitch.
So indeed, now I have tendency to believe that this back-for dance does something to HSD that results in shudder at start up.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
snookwhaler (12-04-2013)
post #149 of 272 Old 12-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
When I drove my '07 TCH for 5 years I also had the engine shudder or rough idle for up to 10 seconds. I had this happen 2 or 3 times a year for the 5 years. I was also using a top-tier gas in my car so gas quality was not the problem. Many have reported this in the forms so it must be a common problem sometimes as first day startup.

I traded up to the '12 TCH just over a year ago and the problem seems to be fixed on the new models.
post #150 of 272 Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Snook, I think you got it.
I posted in this thread yesterday, bluh bluh, and guess what - I had that shudder this morning!!'
And guess what I did yesterday? I moved her a little bit, back and for, inside garage, to fit better onto my lift, as I was installing studdies on the front. Couple feet truly.
Boom!! Cold start in the morning (45 inside garage) and there it goes, entire car shaking in earthquake. I just let it run, and she calmed down in about 5-6 seconds, picked up, and took me to Seattle (30 miles) without a glitch.
So indeed, now I have tendency to believe that this back-for dance does something to HSD that results in shudder at start up.
Good to hear I am not the only one with this particular issue! That is EXACTLY the way it happened to me the last 2 times.

Ever since I made sure she is warm on shut down... Never had an issue since.

Thanks for posting!

280,000 miles

235,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Camry Hybrid