Newbie here, looking or some advice - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Angry Newbie here, looking or some advice

I haven't had time to read all of the forum rules and stuff; I'm sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I am sort of in a bind.

I have a 2001 Camry (112,000 miles) which I absolutely love. No one else I know seems to get it, but I figured this forum would. Unfortunately, a week and a half ago it was rear-ended. The other party's insurance is handling it, and they are totaling the car. The damage is actually only superficial, but I'm sure you know how it goes with old cars (easy for repairs to exceed the ACV the insurance gives it). The check they want to cut me would cover most of the repairs, but then I would have to buy it off of insurance as salvage, and figure out how to get it past inspection with my DMV (Delaware). On top of that, my wife has been pushing me to get rid of it, and you know the saying. It's looking like I may have to get another car.

My question is, do you recommend a particular generation of Toyota Camry?

I have found other 2001 Toyota camrys on the market with similar mileage. Are these too old to last another 5-10 years? At what point does age of the car become a major problem, even if mileage isn't too bad?

Alternatively, I could go for a newer used car. I have seen that years 2011 and 2014 have top notch reliability ratings, even for Camrys. And of course, the 2012 was a redesign. Any things to think about when choosing a year generation?

Getting a Camry that isn't more than a few years old is not really in the cards for right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,928 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Well, youíre coming from a 4th gen Camry, so youíre likely gonna get a bunch of advice telling you to get another. Not that thatís bad advice. With cars this old, itís all about maintenance when youíre shopping for one. A badly neglected one will be a bag of problems. A well maintained one, much less so.

People whoíve driven both gen 3 & 4 say the gen 3 is better. More solid feeling, and better built.

A newer gen will have better safety, and more gadgets. Going to a gen 5 or 6 wonít cost a ton more $ either.

Lastly, consider the Avalon too. Itís just as well built as the Camry, and possibly cheaper due to the ďgrampa carĒ stigma.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 66k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 400k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles

Last edited by BMR; 03-20-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge