y mod a camry? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
y mod a camry?

i have a 93 camry.... i find it EXTREMELY SLOW there are no performance mods becuase i find it such a stupid car to mod, like the car is a POS and i dont understand how u guys mod such a POS and waste time and money.... im being very serious, y do u people mod such a POS

by the way... this is my 1st post, hello all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 12:51 PM
New TN User

Some people cant afford to go out and buy anything else. Maybe the car was given to them, or maybe they just like the car regardless of how slow it is. MOdding is fun to do no matter what it is done to, I know I just enjoy working on my car.

Startin to wonder about this Avalon!
post #3 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:01 PM
not actual size

Yah ^

It's the process, not the result, that's the enjoyable part. Though the result can be pretty nice, too As well, what you consider a waste of time and money may not be a waste at all to someone who has a little more creativity and vision.

Besides, everybody loves a sleeper.

-- Jonathan W.

http://fleshy.org.nz/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:01 PM
TN Pussy Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
b/c a stock v6 is faster than most stock cars out there, including the ever popular civic si, it's unique, and it looks nice.....

your car may be pos, but mine ain't, and neither is many other ppl's on this board....

HaHa

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
post #5 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Some people cant afford to go out and buy anything else. Maybe the car was given to them, or maybe they just like the car regardless of how slow it is. MOdding is fun to do no matter what it is done to, I know I just enjoy working on my car.
there ya go.

post #6 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:22 PM
New TN User

Very productive first post. Glad to see that you're embracing the TN forums. I'm not really sure how a Camry is a pos, I've found mine to be very reliable. Any way, just curious, how old are you?
post #7 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Lives For The Curves

If you think it's such a piece, why do you own one? BTW, I agree with Eye8, I've wasted plenty of Civics with my stock V6 that has, oh, 164k miles on it. Millions of people mod Civics, why aren't you bitching to them about modding a slow car?

If torque actually won races, wouldn't we all be driving diesels?
post #8 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Resident slacker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I know I shouldn't feed the trolls.. but...

Let me guess, you were given the car but wanted something else? Why else would you own it if you thought it was a POS? Details would be good...

I've seen lots of cars that are complete and utter crap. And others of the same model that are extremely nice.

Current: 2015 Highlander Limited Platinum, 2009 Venza V6 AWD
Past: 2003 Camry V6, 2001 Camry I4, 1991 Camry V6
post #9 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
im 17 yrs old... i live in south florida, boca raton i drive a 93 camry... the "mods" i did include custom sub box, chanage ALL speakers, head unit, eq, headlights fake HID... im making the car comfortable... I HATE ABSOLUTLY HATE when people put like neons on their windshield and make it all rice

i understand creativeity and like to work on cars... I LOVE TO DO THAT STUFF... but like its a camry... lol

the town where i live in is very $$$ i dont like it because everyone is stuck up and spoiled... i am not spoiled that much but i do wish i would drive a nice car... i have friends that own already 5 cars in 1 year and their 16, their latest car a porsche twin turbo.... another with an 4.6l x5.... 18 yr old who drive nissan skyline who he paid too much for..... thats another story

but i dont like my car... its comfortable, clean, gets me places... but i want SPEED and i dont believe money should be invested in such a car so i take my parents car at night
post #10 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
i would of likes a honda accord, a vw gti, subaru wrx..... thinking of motocylce too
post #11 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Official TN Member

Dude, listen:

You're only 17, you don't need an Porsche or friggin vette. All those people with their skylines and X5's have no appreciation of what they have. They don't know what it's like to not get what they want, and they will soon figure out as they get older that in the real world, no one gives a fuck.
matter of fact, all they will get from older adults is pity, not respect. I hope their parents read this and remember it when their kids decide they don't feel like working cause they know mommy and daddy will give them everything they want.

I'm sorry my first post to you had to be like this, and I hope I don't scare you away or anything.
Just appreciate what you have and trust me, when you get the nice fancy car after you graduate from college and start a real job you will appreciate it more than anything in the world.

97' Camry XLE V6

post #12 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Official TN Member

You would like a Honda Accord?

V6 Camry's have slightly less power than V6 Accords, but they're faster in the 1/4 mile by .5 seconds stock. (V6 Automatics)

The Camry is a much better car than the accord. I'll quote a reputable source (hahaha).

Motor Trend: January 1997 issue page 69.
Article Title: The fight for #1
Article: Comparing the V6 Camry vs. V6 Accord.
The results:
Camry ET: 15.7seconds @88.7mph (auto)
Accord ET: 16.2seconds @87.7mph (auto)
Cam 0-60: 7.5seconds
Accord 0-60: 8.2seconds

These aren't Toyota's figures, they're tested figures. The Camry outperformed the Accord in every single test by a fairly large margin. It made waste of the Accord on the road course by over 6 seconds with the same driver. On top of that, it's a Toyota Camry, the best sedan in the world, according to Motor Trend in 97'. Why? Because it combines the most amazing quality, performance, price, and comfort of any car in it's class. It's not just a common rental car or the tyical family sedan, it's unique because it's everything most people want in a car without the sex appeal and price. It deserves respect, but I see where you're going. Don't be discouraged, if you modded a car like the Camry to perform with your friends Porsche you'd be the most famous car enthusiast in your town. Why? Because you did something that nobody else thought of doing. Be creative and you can turn your Camry into a car that's better than all of those other cars, an most of all because it's your's.

Last edited by 1fastLE; 11-08-2003 at 03:09 PM.
post #13 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 04:00 PM
I get angry when Im sober

The reasons to mod a Camry:
1. The stock engine internals are stronger than those of almost any other car company, therefore the engine will handle more boost without having to build it up.
2. Toyotas are extremely reliable cars already so you might as well mod a car you are going to be keeping for a long time.
3. Since there aren't many bolt-ons, mods must be custom. People take lots of pride in custom work. I don't see how someone can think they're so great with some bolt-on SC/turbo on their little Civic or the likes.
4. The whole sleeper effect. Everyone thinks a Camry is just a plain old family sedan. How are you gonna feel by one if you race it and get smoked (not that I encourage or even like street racing).
5. Camrys are very practical. Not everyone has the money for a project car, so they just dump what little money they have into their one car. And tied in with the next reason, you only have to pay insurance on one car.
6. Insurance on Camrys is quite low, even though I am paying almost half the value of my car each year.

Oh and not that I have any mods on my car.

And uh it's great car to learn to drive on. I am 18 years old, been driving for about a year and a half and I'm not by any means the "best driver out there." But, this car has taken lots of abuse from me, both from the way I drive it and even hitting things. Just the other night, I was driving home from a club and I had to drop my friend off. I was pretty tired but I thought I was ok to drive, which I normally would be. But I had to drop my friend off in a place I am not familiar with. I accidently hit a curb on a turn and got a flat. I then found out why I should love my Camry so much. A FULL SIZE SPARE! Perhaps the greatest thing to ever have. I sure wouldn't have wanted to drive 20 minutes on the highway with a donut tire.

I used to be a really good driver as I had a delivery job and drove at least an hour a day. Now at school, I have a job only 3/4 days a week and I pretty much only drive 5 minutes to and from work. I've completely lost my night vision. I can barely see anything at night. My eyes were real good from having to see the numbers on the sides of houses this summer. But I admit now, I am simply horrible at driving in residential areas. I still rule the highways though.

1995 Silverleaf Metallic Camry LE Automatic beater

1987 Buick Grand National

Last edited by Stealth; 11-08-2003 at 04:05 PM.
post #14 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Official TN Member

Hey dickhead if you hate the Camry that much sell it

People modify Camrys to be different

I mean there are much slower cars than Camrys that people modify aswell.
post #15 of 120 Old 11-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Boss Honky

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by brink
Yah ^

It's the process, not the result, that's the enjoyable part. Though the result can be pretty nice, too As well, what you consider a waste of time and money may not be a waste at all to someone who has a little more creativity and vision.

Besides, everybody loves a sleeper.
True dat!!!

OG Team HAMSTER

O.G. Team HAMSTER violated my mom for food stamps

OHIO FORCE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge