The reasons to mod a Camry:
1. The stock engine internals are stronger than those of almost any other car company, therefore the engine will handle more boost without having to build it up.
2. Toyotas are extremely reliable cars already so you might as well mod a car you are going to be keeping for a long time.
3. Since there aren't many bolt-ons, mods must be custom. People take lots of pride in custom work. I don't see how someone can think they're so great with some bolt-on SC/turbo on their little Civic or the likes.
4. The whole sleeper effect. Everyone thinks a Camry is just a plain old family sedan. How are you gonna feel by one if you race it and get smoked (not that I encourage or even like street racing).
5. Camrys are very practical. Not everyone has the money for a project car, so they just dump what little money they have into their one car. And tied in with the next reason, you only have to pay insurance on one car.
6. Insurance on Camrys is quite low, even though I am paying almost half the value of my car each year.
Oh and not that I have any mods on my car.
And uh it's great car to learn to drive on. I am 18 years old, been driving for about a year and a half and I'm not by any means the "best driver out there." But, this car has taken lots of abuse from me, both from the way I drive it and even hitting things. Just the other night, I was driving home from a club and I had to drop my friend off. I was pretty tired but I thought I was ok to drive, which I normally would be. But I had to drop my friend off in a place I am not familiar with. I accidently hit a curb on a turn and got a flat. I then found out why I should love my Camry so much. A FULL SIZE SPARE! Perhaps the greatest thing to ever have. I sure wouldn't have wanted to drive 20 minutes on the highway with a donut tire.
I used to be a really good driver as I had a delivery job and drove at least an hour a day. Now at school, I have a job only 3/4 days a week and I pretty much only drive 5 minutes to and from work. I've completely lost my night vision. I can barely see anything at night. My eyes were real good from having to see the numbers on the sides of houses this summer. But I admit now, I am simply horrible at driving in residential areas. I still rule the highways though.