Toyota Nation Forum banner

Subprobes for sensors

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  spuddie 
#1 · (Edited)
In order to make on-car sensor testing more convenient, I made subprobes for that purpose.
  • First, I went to the junkyard and pulled some female terminals from the connectors with short piece of wire attached;
  • Second, I soldered alligator clip to the wire on the opposite end of the terminal
  • Third, I insulated the terminal and the soldering joint using shrink wrap.

The subprobes let me do convenient testing of 2 common sizes male terminals on the coolant thermosensor, idle speed control, TP sensor, Air flow meter on many Toyota cars, made from 79 to 95.

Also shrink-wrapped terminals can even be used if sensor connector is broken as they are gripping male terminals very tight.

thanks for sticking that thread!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: probes

in my holden (GM) commodore workshop manual it has a plan to build a test light using a biro case, LED light and resisitor. thought i might make a couple with longer leads to reach ino the cabin. The idea is to attach these to the SS1 and SS2 solenoid wiring for the auto tranny, so i can see if the right signals are being sent under driving conditions. Have installed all new sensors but has not solved the "spinning in neutral" when stopped after driving. In all other conditions tranny is operating as it should - flummoxed! Maybe a speed semsor, or even the 'puter as the car acts a bit weird on cold mornings?

Maybe I could make up my own swithching arrangements for the solenoids, and change gears "manually". Would that work?

1st gear SS1 ON SS2 OFF
2nd gear ON ON
3rd fear OFF ON
4th gear OFF OFF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.