Remanufactured steering rack & pinion - which brand? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry & Solara Lounge Discussion area for every generation of Toyota's family car, the Toyota Camry. Lexus ES250/300 owners welcome! Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Remanufactured steering rack & pinion - which brand?

Steering rack is leaking need to be replaced. Looking for a good rebuild. Currently, the options are as follows:
1) nonmae from nearest AutoZone/Napa/AdvancedAutoParts
2) rebuild from my favorite Toyota dealership - partznet.com - $254 +- core (150) = 404. Inconvenience: they do not ship racks, need to go there in PA to pickup (2h 30m one way trip).
3) A-1 CARDONE (rockauto.com, amazon): $134.79 + $125.00= $259.79
4) BECK/ARNLEY (rockauto): $218.89 + $111.50 = $330.39
5) ACDELCO (rockauto): $192.79 + $110.00 = $302.79
6) APSCO (rockauto): $132.79 + $100.00 = $232.79
7) ATSCO (rockauto): $118.79 + $99.00 = $217.79

What to choose? What is your experience/recommendations?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
BTW, Beck / Arnley gives 3 years / 50,000 miles warranty on their racks, AC Delco - 12 mo / 12,000 miles, A1 Cardone - 12 mo / 18,000 miles. ATSCO - 12 mo. APSCO is disappeared from rockauto.com and there is no info about their warranty.

OEM ramanufactured racks come with 12 mo warranty. Dealerships do not sell new racks for gen3/4 Camrys. By some info OEM brand is "Maval", however dealership rejected to confirm this info. OEM remans also about 1.5 times more expensive than Beck / Arnley (which is the most expensive aftermarket brand for racks for my Camry). I was offered to purchase OEM rack for 300 + 150 core = 450 total. Beck / Arnley is 219 + 111 = 330 at rockauto.com

So, my choice was obvious - Beck / Arnley.

Last edited by Nervous; 02-03-2010 at 04:33 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I've got my core refund from Rockauto.com in 2 days after they received the core. Highly recommend this vendor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
OEM ramanufactured racks come with 12 mo warranty. Dealerships do not sell new racks for gen3/4 Camrys. By some info OEM brand is "Maval", however dealership rejected to confirm this info...
According to Maval's website, "Maval has consistently delivered the finest Remanufactured Rack and Pinions, Gear Boxes, and Power Steering Pumps to customers around the globe". "In addition Maval Manufacturing produces unique steering solutions for the Original Equipment Manufacturers of Off-Road and On-Road specialty vehicles."
Apparently Maval is a supplier for remaned racks for Toyota. The product is good but the price is not. Recently I started looking at options for my Gen 4 Camry since the steering rack has been leaking for weeks. I just found a supplier called *********** who is a remanufacturer. For example: For my 1997 Camry 4 cylinder the rack is listed at $***, and $*** will be refunded when I ship the core back. Lifetime warranty. Shipping to me is free and shipping the core back to them is free. If you live in *****they will charge sales tax. I talked to a rep last night(on a Sunday!) and he confirmed that their racks are rebuilds of original equipments racks. I plan on placing an order with them, cut out the retailer and save some bucks. I will follow up later, but this looks like a heck of a deal to me.

***UPDATE*** SORRY GUYS, AFTER FURTHER CONTACTS WITH THIS COMPANY, I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO DEAL WITH THEM AT ALL, COMING TO BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE NEITHER HONORABLE NOR TRUSTWORTHY AND CAN NOT IN GOOD CONSCIENCE RECOMMEND THEM .

Last edited by tomalex; 04-21-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Reconsidered endorsement of company previously mentioned
post #5 of 5 Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalex View Post
According to Maval's website, "Maval has consistently delivered the finest Remanufactured Rack and Pinions, Gear Boxes, and Power Steering Pumps to customers around the globe". "In addition Maval Manufacturing produces unique steering solutions for the Original Equipment Manufacturers of Off-Road and On-Road specialty vehicles."
Apparently Maval is a supplier for remaned racks for Toyota. The product is good but the price is not. Recently I started looking at options for my Gen 4 Camry since the steering rack has been leaking for weeks. I just found a supplier called *********** who is a remanufacturer. For example: For my 1997 Camry 4 cylinder the rack is listed at $***, and $*** will be refunded when I ship the core back. Lifetime warranty. Shipping to me is free and shipping the core back to them is free. If you live in *****they will charge sales tax. I talked to a rep last night(on a Sunday!) and he confirmed that their racks are rebuilds of original equipments racks. I plan on placing an order with them, cut out the retailer and save some bucks. I will follow up later, but this looks like a heck of a deal to me.

***UPDATE*** SORRY GUYS, AFTER FURTHER CONTACTS WITH THIS COMPANY, I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO DEAL WITH THEM AT ALL, COMING TO BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE NEITHER HONORABLE NOR TRUSTWORTHY AND CAN NOT IN GOOD CONSCIENCE RECOMMEND THEM .
sorry to dig up this old thread, but i'm looking at maval rack as well and would like to know what your beef was with the company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry & Solara Lounge