[HELP] Do I Need A New Headunit? How Do I Tune? 2 Amps Is Confusing! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question [HELP] Do I Need A New Headunit? How Do I Tune? 2 Amps Is Confusing!

So recently I decided to embark on this journey that is car audio and I've come to a little bump in the road: it's not sounding how it should (at least I think). Amp/Sub-wise everything sounds GREAT, got it professionally installed and "tuned" today - this is where I think they missed it though. The mid/high-end isn't where I was expecting it to be, often sounding distant and low, and sometimes bass isn't really hitting/sounds floppy. Should I upgrade my headunit? Will using a RCA splitter suffice? I need help.

Here's my setup:

HU: Pioneer DEH-X3600UI (only has 2 pre-outs: Front | Rear/SW)

Fronts: Alpine S-S65C

Rears: Pioneer TS-6965R

Front/Rear Speaker Amp: Pioneer GM-D8604

Subwoofer: Alpine SWE-10S4

Subwoofer Amp: Alpine MRV-T501 specs

I have the front speakers (the tweeters are connected to the passive crossover of the woofers) wired to Channel A and the rears wired to Channel B of the Pioneer Amp, with only 1 RCA going from Channel A to the Front L/R of the HU, and then I have the Alpine amp RCA going to the Rear/SW L/R of the HU. It's currently running at 2-channels, should it be at 4?

Should I get a new headunit so I can run another set of RCAs going from Channel B of the Pioneer to the HU, or would I be okay using a RCA splitter the exisiting pre-outs be in Front or Rear?

Also, can someone help me with what settings I should be using for tuning on both the HU and the Amps? HPF/LPF/Gains/Bass Boost/SLA/EQ?

My current HU is sort of weird, it has a Rear/Rear mode, Rear/Sub mode, and a Sub/Sub Mode. I currently have it at Rear/Sub The sub setting has three things that I can tweak: a frequency (I'm guessing LPF), a range that increases volume that goes from -19 - +6 (I'm guessing this is gain), and then -12 / -24 (dB?).

I know this an awful lot of information but I just want to make sure I get it down and make this system sound as best as it can. Appreciate any help and anyone that can clarify what I should be doing and how to tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-08-2018, 12:48 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Did you get a line out converter, maybe a new HU can help. I'm running the stock one with an LOC. Have sound dampener installed? What Ohms are your front and rear speakers at? I would look at getting new tweeters, I did for mine and it made a difference. For tuning I would leave the EQs completely neutral on the head unit itself. Tune from the amps first then mess with the EQs on the HU.

Last edited by ICauseCalamity; 08-08-2018 at 12:54 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
I think you need a sound pressure meter to show you what the "system" is doing and where in the spectrum the peaks and valleys are. Then you can use the EQ to make corrections. Otherwise you are twiddling knobs without the proper info. I hope you didn't pay a lot of dough to get your system "tuned". The more knobs there are to twist the greater number of ways there are to get them wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech