01 Avalon JBL system. bad head or amp? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 08-11-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
xdw
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
01 Avalon JBL system. bad head or amp?

I have this sporadic terrible noise for months on my stereo. At first I would hear the random, loud, popping or buzzing sound from my front left speaker. So loud that I had to turn the radio off in fear of damage to the speaker. I was able to isolate the sound to only the speaker on the front driver side door using balance and fade. All other speakers are playing fine when this loud sound comes from the FL speaker.
I then swapped the front speakers and the buzz still came out of FL. So it's not the speaker.

I then realized the sound pretty much happens only when there are no audio signals, i.e., during pauses in conversation or silent intervals between music, because it never breaks a conversation and pretty much never comes out if the music is continuous. The sound sometime is short loud popping sound and sometimes loud continuous for a few seconds. So it sounds like more of an amp problem than the head. But when it happens I can quickly turn the volume knob up and down and it seems to go away a little bit temporarily. So I felt it could still be a radio problem, albeit not as likely as the amp.

I opened the stereo multiple times to clean the components and check for bad wiring connection or solder points to no avail. I only realized a couple of days ago there is this factory amp underneath the front passenger seat which is really hard to get to. I was only able to insert my fingers to tuck on the wiring but it didn't make any difference. It has been driving me nuts.

Does anyone have the same experience to tell me for sure if this is the amp or the head. Or, kind enough to give me troubleshooting instructions on how to test them and how to remove the amp for testing? I was going to buy a radio until I found out there is also a factory amp to consider.

This is my first time dealing with stereo issue. So thank so much for reading my long message!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech