Problems with after-market install on 07 Hybrid Camry with JBL - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 09-23-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Problems with after-market install on 07 Hybrid Camry with JBL

Hey everyone. Just purchased a 2007 Hybrid Camry for 17-year-old son. I wanted a stereo upgrade to get a better bluetooth/handsfree setup and he naturally wanted a Double Din touch screen and better sound. Believe it or not, most of the speakers were blown or had just disintegrated sitting in Florida sun for 10 years.

Well went to the local stereo shop and they recommended a Kenwood DDX595 Receiver and 4 6.5 inch Kenwood Excelon speakers for front door and rear deck. They said stock was 6x9 but that we would get better response from the 6.5s.

Well, I went to pick it up. First of all, they did an excellent job fitting the Receiver into dash and they did a nice job with that module that connects everything to the steering wheel controls. It all worked nicely.

But the the sound!!

What they evidently did was leave the 2 inch tweeters in the dash. Well, when I turned the stereo on, those were really the only speakers you could hear. We got nothing out of the front door speakers, except some very low frequencies, which I guess was bass. From the rear, we got the full range of music, but it wasn't not loud at all.

He explained that he had taken out four speakers and replaced them four speakers, but they were wired to the stock JBL amp. Not knowing better, I had assumed that they would disconnect all the old speakers and then connect the four new speakers to the head unit and that all four would function as two ways, not components. Well we fiddled with the system a little bit and it sounded marginally better but not much.

I kept telling him I was unhappy and he said "Well, what do you want me to do to fix it.?" Not knowing anything about stereos, I really didn't know what to say. It seemed the whole system lacked power so I was toying with the idea of adding an after-market amp.

But then I called Crutchfield.

It seems the issue is resistance and sensitivity. The OEM JBL system is really set up for 2 Ohms and I have 4 Ohm speakers. Plus, the sensitivity of the speakers I got is low to mid 80s. Crutchfield said I needed at least 90, which means less power to push the speaker.

So now I'm looking for 2 Ohms 6.5 speakers to replace the 4 Kenwoods. But apparently the mounting HEIGHT for that space is only .523" and most speakers don't fit that. According to Crutchfield, height refers to the space between the door panel and the factory grill. They don't sell anything that fits.

Does any of this sound familiar? How have you solved the speaker problems? What 2 ohm speakers would fit? I'm assuming the rear deck is not a size problem.

I tried the stickys, but haven't gotten all the way through them. Same for searches.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Not-stereo-savvy in Tampa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If the headunit was replaced then there is no reason to use the JBL amp anymore. Remove it. And pop the grill off the tweeters on the dash, unmount them and disconnect them. Wrap the connector in electrical tape. No reason to get 2ohm speakers then.

Connect the four new speakers directly to the new headunits speaker outputs. This is going to likely require to run new speaker wires to the speakers or at least connected to the factory wiring that goes to the speakers.

There are many other avenues you can take to correct this issue and get better sound but this is the least time & cost consuming.

You got hacked by your car audio shop... This is the case most of the time these days unfortunately. They should have known how to deal with the Toyota JBL system and done it right. Looks like they were just after your money and cared less about the quality of the resulting sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech