DashCam experiences please ... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
DashCam experiences please ...

I just received the Vantrue N2 Pro (dual channel) a couple of days ago, trying it out ... not the cheapest ($260 off Amazon.ca) but the features seemed good, vid seems quite good quality on both cams, rear facing cam gets a good shot out the rear window of the Tundra and driver/pax ...

Only two complaints so far ... lack of wifi connection/app that some others have (ie: you have to take the cam and connect via usb cord to download ... or remove the sd card) ... second complaint is the use of a suction mount that is quite long, not as compact as others are ... will continue to test and see if I can come up with a better location, if I end up keeping it I'll hardwire as well as get the gps mount ...

What cam are you running and what experiences have you had ... ideally I'm looking for something discrete and with wifi ...

Thanks

Vantrue N2 Pro Amazon link here

RB

2018 Tundra TRD Sport
2018 Camry SE
2018 Harley Ultra Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
I'm using two cheap eBay Chinese dashcams that might have up to 170 degrees of vision. If something goes wrong, I can just turn off their power and wait til they restart. I plan on getting one of those Rexy dashcams which seem like another copy of a Chinese dashcam but not sure when that will happen.

Help those who accept it, troll those who shun it

Last edited by Vangm25; 10-01-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
I'm using two cheap eBay Chinese dashcams that might have up to 170 degrees of vision. If something goes wrong, I can just turn off their power and wait til they restart. I plan on getting one of those Rexy dashcams which seem like another copy of a Chinese dashcam but not sure when that will happen.
I bought a Rexy for our work van. Still waiting for Fleet to install it, but it surprised me how big it is, and a couple of people have seen the box on my partner's desk and commented that it's a good unit.

Personally, I have a Streetguardian. I don't like the small screen (and haven't bothered to connect it to the HU's aux video input), but it is a nice, unobtrusive unit.
However, last time I pulled the chip, I was unable to open it on the desktop, and I can't find the reformat option in the menu. I've got another chip on order.
Next time, I'll probably go for a Rex, or more likely, a Blackvue w/o screen and just connect through WiFi to the phone.

-- Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
I bought a Rexy for our work van. Still waiting for Fleet to install it, but it surprised me how big it is, and a couple of people have seen the box on my partner's desk and commented that it's a good unit.

Personally, I have a Streetguardian. I don't like the small screen (and haven't bothered to connect it to the HU's aux video input), but it is a nice, unobtrusive unit.
However, last time I pulled the chip, I was unable to open it on the desktop, and I can't find the reformat option in the menu. I've got another chip on order.
Next time, I'll probably go for a Rex, or more likely, a Blackvue w/o screen and just connect through WiFi to the phone.
My only issue with the Rexy is that before I saw or heard of Rexy I saw the generic Chinese ones on eBay. So then the question is... which is better? The Rexy or the eBay? The main reason I want to get the Rexy is because it has a smaller rear camera instead of my two current dash cams. They are "big" but it is not a particular big deal because I still see plenty front and rear (I actually find the rear camera display useful for seeing a little bit more than without it).

No rear dash cam vs dash cam at the rear window (with display) vs reverse cam

Help those who accept it, troll those who shun it
post #5 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I have two cheap Chinese cams. One can be run with corded rear view one, but I see no need for it yet. $35 or so. Does the job. Last one I bought actually does real well in the dark, is very sensitive.
I looked at dual lens cams but determined the rear pointing one to be pretty much useless, as you see either rear seats or passengers. Different story is cam with 2nd input. But it take running cable and such. Tapping into rear lights. But then you have clear view of what's behind and it sides as backup cam.

post #6 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I have 3 dashcams. 2 Mobius and 1 Toguard CE685. Front, Mobius set to narrow FOV, Toguard, set wide. Rear, Mobius set wide. All 3 have no screens. Only Toguard have wifi.

LE, Smart Key, Limousine tint, Back-up camera and sensor. M.I.C. 7" DVD. Dashcam.
2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
I have a B40C and my wife has a $60 Cobra.

The B40C has been great. Image quality is good, not great but far better than cheaper cameras. Capacitor won't fry in direct sunlight like a lithium battery and I can run it for days with no battery issues. It came with GPS antenna but I have never used it with it.

My wife's Cobra is not as good and does not turn the screen off while driving so it hides behind her mirror.

B40C video...

Optimal conditions...

Direct sun at camera...

'13 Corolla S Premium Complete BSP
'01 Camry XLE V6 Black (Her's 06+)
'12 Corolla S w/ Nav MGM (15-16)
'98 Chevy Prizm base Green (06-15)
'97 Camry LE I4 Gold (Her's 03-06)
'85 Pickup SR5 (Family truck 89-18)
post #8 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Throw a circular polarizer on there and it will really help with the reflections from the dash.

-- Rich

post #9 of 16 Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB01 View Post
I just received the Vantrue N2 Pro (dual channel) a couple of days ago, trying it out ... not the cheapest ($260 off Amazon.ca) but the features seemed good, vid seems quite good quality on both cams, rear facing cam gets a good shot out the rear window of the Tundra and driver/pax ...

Only two complaints so far ... lack of wifi connection/app that some others have (ie: you have to take the cam and connect via usb cord to download ... or remove the sd card) ... second complaint is the use of a suction mount that is quite long, not as compact as others are ... will continue to test and see if I can come up with a better location, if I end up keeping it I'll hardwire as well as get the gps mount ...

What cam are you running and what experiences have you had ... ideally I'm looking for something discrete and with wifi ...

Thanks

Vantrue N2 Pro Amazon link here
I've had an AUKEY DR02 D for a few months and can't fully recommend it. After repositioning the cable to the rear camera several times and just adding a snap-on ferrite core today, it still triggers the TPMS warning light on long (> 50 mile) trips. Pull the cable for the rear camera at the head cameras' USB port and after a minute, the TPMS light shuts off. From what I've read, the TPMS receiver is above the headliner in the area of the roof shark fin. Disappointed. Oh, and right after I ordered the 1080p, they came out with a 4K. Doubt I'll bother. I also put down two squares of black felt (actually purchased for replacing the body gaskets for the rear struts if I ever get to them), just to cut down on the glare. I don't think the camera model I have really allows attaching a polarized lens, but now, I'm really losing interest in all of it.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BlackVue's are pretty discreet and have wifi.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-01-2018, 02:28 AM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
BTW: Check your SD cards every 2-3 months and verify that they are working. It is recommended to reformat regularly, but Dashcams use FAT32, and Windows can only reformat to exFAT. The camera should be able to reformat internally, but I can't find the option to do so.

I witnessed an accident a couple of days ago, told the responding officer that I may have video.
Got home, pulled the card, and nothing had been recorded since last February.
I pulled the card from my wife's camera, and hers was also dead since mid 2017.

Memory cards are "consumable" and do not have an unlimited re-write lifespan.

-- Rich

post #12 of 16 Old 12-01-2018, 08:23 AM
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
BTW: Check your SD cards every 2-3 months and verify that they are working. It is recommended to reformat regularly, but Dashcams use FAT32, and Windows can only reformat to exFAT. The camera should be able to reformat internally, but I can't find the option to do so.

I witnessed an accident a couple of days ago, told the responding officer that I may have video.
Got home, pulled the card, and nothing had been recorded since last February.
I pulled the card from my wife's camera, and hers was also dead since mid 2017.

Memory cards are "consumable" and do not have an unlimited re-write lifespan.
There are "surveillance grade" cards available. They are only a couple dollars more than regular cards and are rated for continuous recording and extreme temperatures.

Amazon Amazon

'13 Corolla S Premium Complete BSP
'01 Camry XLE V6 Black (Her's 06+)
'12 Corolla S w/ Nav MGM (15-16)
'98 Chevy Prizm base Green (06-15)
'97 Camry LE I4 Gold (Her's 03-06)
'85 Pickup SR5 (Family truck 89-18)

Last edited by K_Watson; 12-01-2018 at 08:25 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
The guys on Dashcamtalk have also had good luck with the Samsung green "EVO" series.

-- Rich

post #14 of 16 Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7224 Post(s)
Thanked 8,420 Times in 5,930 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I've been very happy with my Cobra CDR895.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
post #15 of 16 Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Supposed Former Toyota Junkie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
I would really like to get a nice, discreet dual setup for my car.
My back is in poor shape so I would probably have to take it to an audio shop to have it installed.
I have limited knowledge about them but based on reading I have done lately I really like the WiFi option.
I believe the footage can just be transferred wirelessly to your phone?
Anyways, maybe I can make a decision in time for Santa!!

Now, back to my strengthening exercises.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech