Dash Cams? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Dash Cams?

I have 2 Go Pro Hero 3+'s that I have been using in 4k on suction cup mounts (front and rear windshields) as dash cams. The reason I went with the Go Pro's is that the video quality is so much better than the horrible video quality we see from Dash Cams on TV that the cops use to use.

While I can put large memory cards in the Go Pro's, the battery life is horrible and then there is the issue of turning the one in the rear window on and off when I need to go drive somewhere.

I have read some of the forms here about dash cams that are "really" dash cams and they have some nice features like they are tiny, they only work when motion is detected, remote on and off for the one in the back window.... etc. Which, yes are nice features that I would like to have; but 1080p 60FPS is below the minimum quality I am looking for. 2.7k or 4k 60FPS is more of what I am looking for and if it takes 400GB micro SDXC memory cards, that does not bother me.

I looked at the Go Pro Hero 7 Black edtions, but the one issue again is the battery and then remote on and off for the back one.

What are the latest cameras capable of 2.7k and 4k cash cam recording with image stabilization, etc remote or motion start and stop? I don't really need them to be so small they are "invisible",the size of a go pro is fine for me.

I saw that DJI had some sort of camera on a stick that would work also, a bit big though. I think it was the Omni or Omni 2. I would feed the camera's into a 9 inch Samsung Tablet in the car or a Kenwood receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
I won't use a GoPro because it is just a target for your car to get broken into and stolen. Most dash cams are basic cameras with motion detection, 170 degree viewing angle, 2 - 10 minute recording loop, and that turns on when the car turns on either by hardwired or on the cigarette lighter. They will have horrible battery life but being connected to the car means it does not matter. I come some generic camera that works out pretty good from eBay but I am planning on getting a Rexing dash cam later.

Help those who accept it, troll those who shun it
post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-2018, 12:53 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
www.blackboxmycar.com has dedicated dash cams that can record in 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech