08 Highlander Navi/dvd slot just makes clicking noise and ejects disc - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Audio, Video, and Security - Tech For the electro-techies and the bass heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
08 Highlander Navi/dvd slot just makes clicking noise and ejects disc

So I accidentally ejected the navi disc on my 08 highlander and when I tried to load it back in the player makes a clicking noise and just ejects the disc, any help is greatly appreciated guys and gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
is your date of first use and mileage within 3/36? if so have a dealer warranty repair done. radios and nav units are not dealer repaired, they just swap them out for an exchange unit when needed. you might try disconnecting the battery, waiting 10 min and reconnect and see if it may reset itself, just a try it kind of thing. if no luck get the dealer involved and ask for a goodwill repair.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't know what the highlander Nav looks like but some have dual slots. Is it rejecting the DVD in the Nav slot?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Yes there is a navi/dvd player slot and then there is a slot for cds, and yea I was putting it in the navi slot. The vehicle is way out of warranty unfortunately.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I tried the battery idea and with no prevail thanks for the suggestion though. Looks like Im going to the stealership to have them fix/diagnose the problem. If the whole thing needs to be replaced....I might as well sell my soul to help finance it. I'm sure those headunits are not cheap.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
New TN User

Me (Sennia 08) too!

Hi mikegreco16 - Did you ever get this fix? If so, what happened? Any help would be appreciated.
The same thing happened to me. About the 2nd week of January this year, my wife accidentally ejected the map dvd on our 2008 Sienna Limited, while the ignition was off (pumping gas), but the power was on (ignition key was turned part way). When she tried to load the map dvd back, the drive would make clicking noises and then a few seconds later ejected it back. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosis it as I need to upgrade to the latest version (11.1). They charged me $220 (what a rip-off) and had to special order it. Being a bit technically savy, I didnt buy this determination, but decided to go along with it. When it arrived, I ask them to install it, making sure that I personally never open the package or attempt to fix it. As I predicted, the navi rejected that new dvd as well. I went straight to the Service manager to get a refund on the disc. As for the next steps, the dealership suggested that he can have the Navi company (He mentioned Fujitsu, but I think Senso makes the Navi) remotely dial in and try updating the firmware or see if they can see any errors. My service appointment is at the end of Jan. If this doesnt work, the dealership stated that only thing left to do is pull the navi unit out to send it out for diagnosis and a quote for repair. He stated that it might take weeks or months for the unit to come back. During that time, all the functions through that unit will not work, which includes radio, navi, backup camera, handsfree phone, and dvd player.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2012, 06:38 AM
New TN User

My Tundra is doing the same thing?

I did notice that the dvd that came out from the navi slot was a little worn??? I dont want to pay for the updated new navi dvd, for it only not to work as well. Any advice? Does the navi unit need to be replaced, and if so, it is probably cheaper to get a nicer aftermarket unit with the same features Thanks
post #8 of 17 Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
New TN User

Still no good.

So after my last service appt, the manager said basically I need to replace the entire unit for $4000. I told them to forget it. A couple days ago, I decided to be brave/stupid and pull the unit (e7007) out myself to take a look. It was pretty easy. I used panel trim tools ($10 on amazon) pop the to side panels out, and unscrewed 4 10mm bolts and the unit slide out. W/ the lines connected, I tried banging on the unit as it tried to load the dvd. It did not work. I got even more bold and disconnected the unit from the wires, which were also very easy. The connectors either just pulled out or you have to press on a tab to release them. I took it inside the house to open up to see what I can see. I'd figure it's already out of warranty so how worse could it be... After getting the back panels open, i could not get access to the front where the dvd drive is. Around midnight, I gave up and decided to put it back. I don't know if its designed this way, or it was unpowered for too long or I did something, but when I put it back, it seemed to have lost it's "programming". When I pulled the cables back, I could hear the unit making "whirring" noises (like the drive was spinning). When I started the car, I no longer saw the initial screen w/ toyota logo. It just went straight to 'no dvd' screen. Worse, none of the other functions (bluetooth, radio, backup camera, rear dvd sound through the speakers). Now, I'm looking on the web for answers to see if this is how it works or if the dealer needs to program it. I'm also looking to see how much to replace this unit. I see a site for $1400 (buyautoparts.com). Am close to the edge. Would appreciate advice from anyone.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
New TN User

Success!

A miracle has occurred. I accidently fixed it. I had talked to a mechanic where he mention that he fixed a couple of these before by banging on it while the dvd was attempting to load. I had tried that initially when I removed the unit to see if I could fix it. It didn't work then. Today I removed the unit to confirm the part number. However, I thought just for fun, I'll try banging it again. I figure I cant make it worse. The previous times, I banged (really slapped) the top and side of the unit w/ a open palm while the dvd trying to load. This time (dont know why, maybe I was just pissed off), making a fist and used the points of my knuckles, I "tapped" the *bottom* of the navi unit. Unlike the sides, back and top, the bottom side of the unit is *NOT* protected by a full metal plate. I not sure what part I hit, but I know it was a "soft" spot as I felt some deflection. I think it might have been the fan housing. Next thing I know the dvd map went it. I wanted for a few moments and next thing I saw was a screen saying something like "system starting, do not power off...". When it was done, full functionality was restored. It cost me $10 in tools and months of aggravation. I hope this might be useful to someone out there.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Problem fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcks View Post
A miracle has occurred. I accidently fixed it. I had talked to a mechanic where he mention that he fixed a couple of these before by banging on it while the dvd was attempting to load. I had tried that initially when I removed the unit to see if I could fix it. It didn't work then. Today I removed the unit to confirm the part number. However, I thought just for fun, I'll try banging it again. I figure I cant make it worse. The previous times, I banged (really slapped) the top and side of the unit w/ a open palm while the dvd trying to load. This time (dont know why, maybe I was just pissed off), making a fist and used the points of my knuckles, I "tapped" the *bottom* of the navi unit. Unlike the sides, back and top, the bottom side of the unit is *NOT* protected by a full metal plate. I not sure what part I hit, but I know it was a "soft" spot as I felt some deflection. I think it might have been the fan housing. Next thing I know the dvd map went it. I wanted for a few moments and next thing I saw was a screen saying something like "system starting, do not power off...". When it was done, full functionality was restored. It cost me $10 in tools and months of aggravation. I hope this might be useful to someone out there.

@pcks,

Thank you very much for sharing your solution! I have just now fixed the same problem with my Sienna. Had to take out the nav unit (with wires still connected), and hit on it with my hand as it tried to load the disc (while it was making the "clicking" sounds). Seems to have worked!

MBA
post #11 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
New TN User

MBA83

What trim set from amazon did you use?
I have exact same problem and braving up to try.

Is this what you did?

1. remove nav system from dash but leave all wiring connected
2. turn on vehicle
3. Bang on bottom and/or top of exposed nav system while clicking
post #12 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc15 View Post
MBA83

What trim set from amazon did you use?
I have exact same problem and braving up to try.

Is this what you did?

1. remove nav system from dash but leave all wiring connected
2. turn on vehicle
3. Bang on bottom and/or top of exposed nav system while clicking

You don't need to get any trim sets - just pull on the trim and it will come out. Or I might have used a flat screw driver with some tape on the tip (to prevent scratching the trim), don't remember now.

Yes basically that's what I did. Just hit it lightly with your hand while the drive is "clicking" and hopefully the DVD will settle into place.

Good luck

MBA
post #13 of 17 Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
New TN User

Still broken...

Looks like the "fix" that I have described was temporary. The same problem came back, I used the "fix" one more time (took much more hitting to get it to work), and now I realize that the DVD unit is toast for good.

Did anyone figure out a long term fix for this except buying a new unit?

Thanks!

MBA
post #14 of 17 Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never worked with a DVD/Navi unit but have updated the radio in my 06 highlander. I suggest you go to Crutchfield.com load your vehicle and buy a new unit.

Wait a minute, is the A/C integrated into the radio? If so you are screwed.

06 Highlander V6 220k, 05 106k, 02 Lexus RX 300 275k & 00 4Runner 185K

Last edited by Lastplace; 07-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastplace View Post
I've never worked with a DVD/Navi unit but have updated the radio in my 06 highlander. I suggest you go to Crutchfield.com load your vehicle and buy a new unit.

Wait a minute, is the A/C integrated into the radio? If so you are screwed.

No AC, but still, used units like this cost over $1200. New one $3500. I have taken it apart, and sure enough, one of the gears of the DVD mechanism has a few stripped teeth. After looking for such a gear online, I gave up, and ended up buying a new DVD mechanism on eBay for $180. Waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, I have zip-tied a piece inside of the mechanism to keep the DVD so that it's always in, and re-assembled the unit. Now the navigation works, no clicking noise, but - of course - I can not eject the map DVD.

MBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Audio, Video, and Security - Tech