Difficulty Level: 2/10
Cost:$40 minimum for basic wires and terminals
Tools: Basic tools - ratchet, wrenches, wire cutter, pliers
Supplies: 1 pos and 1 neg battery terminal, 10ft of wire, 4 wire terminals, heat shrink wrap
01. remove battery from car
02. remove battery tray
03. remove ground wire from chassis
04. remove ground wire from engine
05. cut wire to length, attach ring terminals, crimp and shrink wrap
06. secure new wires to chassis mounting point
07. repeat step 5 and secure to engine mounting point
07. trim plastic off wire and attach to new terminals
08. unsnap and remove fuse box cover
09. pry main fuse box located in the engine bay with a screwdriver
10. open cover at bottom of fuse box to gain access to main fuse
11. cut new wire to length, attach ring terminals
12. run new wire up from bottom of fuse box and secure to main fuse link
13. close and put back fuse box
14. remove positive connection from starter. The nut is hidden behind and underneath the starter. Sorry no pics.
15. cut wire to length, attach ring terminals, crimp and shrink wrap
16. secure to starter
17. trim plastic off wire and attach to new terminals
18. double check to make sure all connections were done properly
19. reconnect terminals back onto battery
20. turn on car
I elected to use 1 gauge wire for negative and 4 gauge for positive and extra bling terminals. Make sure your terminals accept 1 guage before you start - most only go as large as 4 gauge. As for the amount of wire, you'll need about 2.5feet for each connection (2x2.5 for neg and 2x2.5 for pos)
I had some difficulty trying to remove the nut from the starter because of it's location. It kept slipping because I couldn't get the wrench to seat properly to get a grip. I tried using a universal joint to get at it but had no luck. At the end, I was successful by using the handle of the ratchet to simply hold the wrench in place by pressing it up against it so that the wrench wouldn't slip off. Feel free to ask any questions you have.
The lights no longer dim when the bass hits and the car seems to idle much better.
Thanks to Luc for guiding mw along the way. Big up to skperformance for hooking me up with a Yellow Top. Redrum deserves props for lending me some tools I didn't have. Thanks guys!