How do I sell Camry with odometer that's been tampered with? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Neighborhood Watch
NEW
Report thefts and crimes here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I sold repaired salvage vehicles for decades, kind of a hobby. I think you have found your solution and now you know when to be skeptical. Legally pursuing the person whose name is on the title, who was the "owner" when you bought the car from the "flipper" would be a exercise in frustration and would only teach both of you an expensive lesson. The flipper has wiped his tracks clean and you have almost no chance of getting him in court.

When I sold my shop, I told the buyer, who had been my employee, "be a stranger to the court system and you will do well". He is still there, owned the shop longer than I did, but he ignored the advice, until a judge gave neither him or the other party anything in the suit, except a bill for good money spent very badly.

I think $4k is a good deal, go for it, sounds like a good car, even with the issues. The kelly book gives you an very good example of the difference in purchase prices AND never forget the dealers buy from the same source as yourself. I think you smelled a rat in the transaction, no need to beat yourself up over the situation.
If I could give you a hug I would! Thank you. "Be a stranger to the court system and you will do well." That is the best advice I've ever heard. Thank you!

I feel good about this. The person buying the car is helping me with some stuff around the house for a week. Instead of paying her, it will be a down payment for the car. Then she'll give me payments. And even if she stops making payments, I'll just give her the car anyways. She's a wonderful friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 06-09-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I didn't smell a rat, but my mechanic should have. He went with me to buy the car. He could have picked up on these signs. First that the car was perfectly detailed and the engine was spotless. Secondly, the seller had printed out a Car Fax with everything in a huge font. Now I know it wasn't what a real CarFax looks like, and all the information on it was fake. Thirdly, the instrument panel had a tachometer or miles per gallon gauge that was stuck on zero. And the temperature has the top half faded out so you can't read it.

The gas gauge won't go past 1/4 tank when you fill it up. Not only that, but if he knew about Camrys he would have seen where you press CAR and FUEL button, it shows the accurate miles left until empty even though the fuel gauge doesn't.

The last straw: After I told my mechanic I had been scammed, he said "Yeah, after you gave him the cash, that guy went running down the street with it". I had no clue about buying a used car and someone like me should have bought one at a dealer. I trusted my mechanic, and shouldn't have!

Hahahah. Now it's kind of funny, but hey, I got a good car. If I were taller I would just keep the darn thing. Toyota Camrys are amazing cars. This one was a gem.

Last edited by junebugapril; 06-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Neighborhood Watch