How Common Are 8' 2nd Gen. Tundra Beds? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 2nd Generation (2007-2013) Discussion of the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tundra

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToyotasForever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How Common Are 8' 2nd Gen. Tundra Beds?

To the Mods:

I posted a similar post in the 3rd Gen. Tundra forum, because we're looking at both 2nd and 3rd Gen. Tundras. I hope this isn't a violation of the rules, and I apologize in advance, if it is. Thanks.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi all,

We're still happy with our 2009 HiHy, but looking for a full-sized pickup truck, with an 8' bed.

But I see that the 3rd Gen. (i.e., 2014+) Tundras offer a bed that is 8.1', which I assume is 8' and 1.2" long? LOL

DID Toyota offer an 8' bed in the SECOND GEN. Tundras
? If so:

How Common/Rare is an 8' bed on 2007-2013 Tundras?
(Or, as Toyota lists them, an 8.1' long bed, which I assume is 8' and 1.2" long? LOL)

(To Toyota's credit, at least they offer an 8' bed on the Tundras--I can't seem to find a single, domestic, pickup with an 8' bed, unless one goes up to 3/4 or 1-ton trucks.)

I don't expect to get lucky enough to find actual production statistics (but one can hope ) but if you could just "ballpark" it, based on your observations of the used truck market, e.g.:

"Only 10% of the trucks seem to have 8' beds, based on my experience...," that would be very helpful to me.

Also, info re: any problems with this bed length, like finding caps, etc..., or problems with the 2nd-Gen. Tundras generally, would be greatly appreciated.

Dumb ("Bonus") Question
:

All Tundras (in the 2007-2017) are considered "half-ton" trucks, right?
I only ask because I'm unfamiliar with Tundras and, again, the domestic makers don't seem to offer an 8' bed on any half-ton trucks anymore. (I just wanted to make sure I didn't wind up with a harder-riding, heavier duty truck than I needed, as I only need a half-tonner.)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever
jp_over likes this.

2014 Tundra SR+ DCLB--5.7L, 4x4, Tow Pkge--8' Bed!
2009 HiHy
2002 Highlander, V6 (Gone to a better home.)
1987 Camry Wagon (Gone, but not forgotten!)

Last edited by ToyotasForever; 10-15-2017 at 01:50 AM. Reason: I have a imilar post in 3rd Gen. Tundra Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-15-2017, 05:25 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotasForever View Post
To the Mods:

I posted a similar post in the 3rd Gen. Tundra forum, because we're looking at both 2nd and 3rd Gen. Tundras. I hope this isn't a violation of the rules, and I apologize in advance, if it is. Thanks.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi all,

We're still happy with our 2009 HiHy, but looking for a full-sized pickup truck, with an 8' bed.

But I see that the 3rd Gen. (i.e., 2014+) Tundras offer a bed that is 8.1', which I assume is 8' and 1.2" long? LOL

DID Toyota offer an 8' bed in the SECOND GEN. Tundras
? If so:

How Common/Rare is an 8' bed on 2007-2013 Tundras?
(Or, as Toyota lists them, an 8.1' long bed, which I assume is 8' and 1.2" long? LOL)

(To Toyota's credit, at least they offer an 8' bed on the Tundras--I can't seem to find a single, domestic, pickup with an 8' bed, unless one goes up to 3/4 or 1-ton trucks.)

I don't expect to get lucky enough to find actual production statistics (but one can hope ) but if you could just "ballpark" it, based on your observations of the used truck market, e.g.:

"Only 10% of the trucks seem to have 8' beds, based on my experience...," that would be very helpful to me.

Also, info re: any problems with this bed length, like finding caps, etc..., or problems with the 2nd-Gen. Tundras generally, would be greatly appreciated.

Dumb ("Bonus") Question
:

All Tundras (in the 2007-2017) are considered "half-ton" trucks, right?
I only ask because I'm unfamiliar with Tundras and, again, the domestic makers don't seem to offer an 8' bed on any half-ton trucks anymore. (I just wanted to make sure I didn't wind up with a harder-riding, heavier duty truck than I needed, as I only need a half-tonner.)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever
Yes they did offer an 8 ft bed + or - an inch or so. ( brother -in law has two for his business a 2007 and a 2009)
Tundras are considered 1/2 ton.
Shells,bed caps etc and other basic add-ons appear to be readily available because the after market manufacture's look at the dimensions of all the trucks built and allow for that .5 to 1.5' variations.
I.E. I have a T100 6'5" bed and a cap from a 1st gen Tundra, F150 and some Chevy's will fit fine.
Rust in the early years like all the Toyotas and some recalls that are easily searched if you find a year you like.
Using this list and allowing for your observation it appears maybe a million 2nd gen. 8 ' bed trucks were built.
https://www.tundras.com/threads/hist...e-tundra.1208/
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspeed View Post
Yes they did offer an 8 ft bed + or - an inch or so. ( brother -in law has two for his business a 2007 and a 2009)
Tundras are considered 1/2 ton.
Shells,bed caps etc and other basic add-ons appear to be readily available because the after market manufacture's look at the dimensions of all the trucks built and allow for that .5 to 1.5' variations.
I.E. I have a T100 6'5" bed and a cap from a 1st gen Tundra, F150 and some Chevy's will fit fine.
Rust in the early years like all the Toyotas and some recalls that are easily searched if you find a year you like.
Using this list and allowing for your observation it appears maybe a million 2nd gen. 8 ' bed trucks were built.
https://www.tundras.com/threads/hist...e-tundra.1208/
Thank you, sdspeed, for this very helpful info!

Just one quibble--it looks (by rough math) that there's only 1.5 million in the entire, 2nd-Gen. fleet, so I'm not sure how you were able to deduce that "... it appears maybe a million 2nd gen. 8 ' bed trucks were built." (?)

But math was never my strong suit and, regardless, thank you for all of the info you've provided--the Tundra's half-ton rating, and that (some) caps will interchange between brands/close sizes, etc..., was especially helpful--it seems I have some options, as long as I bring my measuring tape--LOL.

Anyone else have any opinions, or stats, on how what percentage of Tundras (of EITHER 2nd or 3rd Gen.) came with an 8-foot bed?

Thanks again,

ToyotasForever

2009 HiHy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Thank you, sdspeed, for this very helpful info!

Just one quibble--it looks (by rough math) that there's only 1.5 million in the entire, 2nd-Gen. fleet, so I'm not sure how you were able to deduce that "... it appears maybe a million 2nd gen. 8 ' bed trucks were built." (?)

But math was never my strong suit and, regardless, thank you for all of the info you've provided--the Tundra's half-ton rating, and that (some) caps will interchange between brands/close sizes, etc..., was especially helpful--it seems I have some options, as long as I bring my measuring tape--LOL.

Anyone else have any opinions, or stats, on how what percentage of Tundras (of EITHER 2nd or 3rd Gen.) came with an 8-foot bed?

Thanks again,

ToyotasForever
The grade designation is a moot point since it used your VIN
Yeah as soon as I hit send I knew my math was wrong..lol
Say 150,000 2nd gen 8' bed
Keep in mind by the end of the 2 gen production there were something like 44 variations, Crazy!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspeed View Post
The grade designation is a moot point since it used your VIN
Yeah as soon as I hit send I knew my math was wrong..lol
Say 150,000 2nd gen 8' bed
Keep in mind by the end of the 2 gen production there were something like 44 variations, Crazy!
Hey sdspeed,

No problem--I've been their myself--hit "Submit" and *BLAM*--did I just write that? LOL (The "Edit" button is my best friend--LOL).

And as I said, math was never my strong suit, either. I barely passed Geometry, and failed the Geometry Regents Exam--the only one I ever failed! LOL

So, in your opinion, roughly no more than 10% of the entire, 2nd Gen. fleet might be 8-footers. That sounds plausible to me, based on what I don't see in the domestic 1/2 ton makes, i.e., I rarely see any domestic, 8' beds, in a half-tonner. The last 8' domestic bed I saw was a 2004 F-150 that ran on propane, and had a $2,000. lift gate on it, with low miles, for only $4,000.! I assume it was a commercial vehicle, as it was a "stripper," but it had A/C, and even though it was only a regular cab, I would have snapped it up, but I was too late---Arrrggghh....

Similarly, when I was looking for another Ford, trying to find a stick shift was like a needle in a haystack, if looking beyond the 9th Gen. (i.e., 1992-1997). By my own estimates ONLY, it seemed like no more than 10% of even the 9th Gen. F-150's had a stick shift. And as I currently have an injured clutch-knee, plus the fact that SWMBO has successfully resisted decades of my [intermittent] attempts to teach her to drive a stick, I've resigned myself to Toyota's 6-speed autobox, at least for now. *sigh*

So, to the Assembled Brain Trust
:

Does 10% sound like a reasonable estimate for the percentage of 8' beds, in the Tundra, 2nd Gen. fleet?

Thanks again, sdspeed, and here's hoping others will chime in with their opinions on what percentage of the Tundra fleet are 8' beds.

Oh--and since I'm actually looking at the 3rd Gen. Tundras now, I'm even more interested in what percentage of 3rd Gen. Tundra's are 8-footers.

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever

2009 HiHy
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Hey sdspeed,

No problem--I've been their myself--hit "Submit" and *BLAM*--did I just write that? LOL (The "Edit" button is my best friend--LOL).

And as I said, math was never my strong suit, either. I barely passed Geometry, and failed the Geometry Regents Exam--the only one I ever failed! LOL

So, in your opinion, roughly no more than 10% of the entire, 2nd Gen. fleet might be 8-footers. That sounds plausible to me, based on what I don't see in the domestic 1/2 ton makes, i.e., I rarely see any domestic, 8' beds, in a half-tonner. The last 8' domestic bed I saw was a 2004 F-150 that ran on propane, and had a $2,000. lift gate on it, with low miles, for only $4,000.! I assume it was a commercial vehicle, as it was a "stripper," but it had A/C, and even though it was only a regular cab, I would have snapped it up, but I was too late---Arrrggghh....

Similarly, when I was looking for another Ford, trying to find a stick shift was like a needle in a haystack, if looking beyond the 9th Gen. (i.e., 1992-1997). By my own estimates ONLY, it seemed like no more than 10% of even the 9th Gen. F-150's had a stick shift. And as I currently have an injured clutch-knee, plus the fact that SWMBO has successfully resisted decades of my [intermittent] attempts to teach her to drive a stick, I've resigned myself to Toyota's 6-speed autobox, at least for now. *sigh*

So, to the Assembled Brain Trust
:

Does 10% sound like a reasonable estimate for the percentage of 8' beds, in the Tundra, 2nd Gen. fleet?

Thanks again, sdspeed, and here's hoping others will chime in with their opinions on what percentage of the Tundra fleet are 8' beds.

Oh--and since I'm actually looking at the 3rd Gen. Tundras now, I'm even more interested in what percentage of 3rd Gen. Tundra's are 8-footers.

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever
Well ya only need one right? Oh and I had to I take geometry twice
This article is based on 2015 Trucks but since ya mentioned the 3rd Gen Tundra why not go for broke!
https://www.autobytel.com/trucks/car...-boxes-128505/
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I assume you are looking for a double cab model, and not a single cab longbed. That said I have maybe seen 4-5 in Colorado all gen 2's I would say less than 5% but I have no statistics to back that up. I happened to noticed 1 for sale the other day.

Here is the one for sale: (No affiliation with the truck or dealer)

https://www.bmotors.us/inventory/200...dra-sr5/106139

Also no reason to post in all bold.

Current:
08 Highlander
13 Tundra Supercharged
04 Allroad stage 3 MT6!
02 Allroad MT6 -
Gone:
6 other toyotas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 2nd Generation (2007-2013)