2010 5.7 transmission slips?? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tundra 2nd Generation (2007-2013) Discussion of the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tundra

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 63 Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
07 Tundra...Same thing!!!

My '07 DC does pretty much the same thing... I had to get real technical with my service manager and told him, it seemed quirky. He replied to me that there have been 4 complaints (I make 5) of this quirkiness from new Tundra owners. I mentioned that the forums are talking of this more often. He said to me that Toyota is aware of the problem and is "supposed" to address it in the next few months and to check back after the new year... Probably after he's retired. I hope he wasn't blowing smoke... He also said that he looks at the forums and so do the head-honchos. Apparently they care what we think of their product. My point is, if you are experiencing it, say it and maybe if enough pressure mounts, it will get tended to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 Old 12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Official TN Member

I've been driving my truck around this past week since I had this service work done. To me its still doing the same thing when you roll up to an intersection and get back on the throttle without stopping completely. My check engine light has not come on again but its definately still doing this weird shifting thing.
I've fired my service manage here a follow-up email that he's going to need to do some further research on this.
post #18 of 63 Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Official TN Member

Sighs.....the saga continues. For those that are interested and are experiencing the same shifting issue as me here is an update.

After continuing to complain about my low speed shifting issue my service department took my truck in again. This time the plan was to add more transmission fluid. According to the service manager some new trucks were coming from the factory with the level near the minimum level and topping them up solved this shifting issue. Well it seems that the transmissions in these trucks is not easy to top up this level. It needs to go onto a hoist and fluid is added from underneath. The tranny is a completely sealed unit now. The little bit of good news is that the service manager at my dealer took my truck out and he was able to repeat what I have been telling him for a month. So at least he knows I am not making this up. Anyhow, fluid level topped up now and my truck still does this off shifting issue.

For those of you with a 4.6L 2010 Tundra here is how I have been able to get it to repeat the issue. When the truck is cold (more repeatible when cold) I drive about say half a block. Let off the gas or brake down to about 20kph turn a corner and when i get back on the gas the transmission acts like it is neutral. The engine will rev because I am trying to accelerate and suddenly the transmission dumps into a gear. So to me it seems like it's a downshifting issue while rolling. If I come to a complete stop everything is fine. I have done some short trips to the store or to work where it has done this same thing 3 times in a row.

Interestingly enough while my truck was in getting the tranny fluid topped up last time I was given a 5.7 Tundra to drive. Totally different truck to drive. The shift points are much more intelligent.
I know Toyota did some funky crap with the shift points in the 4.6L to try to extend fuel economy but after driving this truck for a few months I can report quite honestly that it doesn't work. I find the initial acceleration of the 4.6L to be way to sensitive, it ramps up gears way too fast and once you are cruising around at street speeds it seems to take alot of foot feed to get it moving. It would rather lug than drop a gear to accelerate.

The 5.7 I drove was nothing like that. Initial accelerate was smooth and I didn't have to be so cautious then once I was moving it was very eager to drop a gear if I wanted to get up and go. If Toyota did all of this to try to make the 4.6L more economical they failed miserably in my opinion. My fuel economy in the city is no where near what they rate it at in their specs. I have done burned off a few tanks of fuel in the city where I babied it big time and still not even close to the rating they give this engine.

You know I bought the 4.6L because I really didn't need the extra HP and I was hoping to get a little better fuel economy in the long run. In hindsight I probably should have just gotten the 5.7L. I think they rushed to get this 4.6L out for sale because I know I am not the only one having these problems. I do like this truck don't get me wrong, I just hate having these issues with something we paid so much money for. Its like buying a brand new house that comes with a leaky roof. If they ever get to the bottom of my shifting issues I will let you guys know.

Last edited by SHO_Maniac; 12-22-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 63 Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Official TN Member

My 2007 5.7L does the same thing when it's cold and always has. I've just gotten used to it. Toyota did issues a TSB for the Tacoma to reflash the transmission control to allow better shifting at low speeds. Perhaps they will eventually do this for the Tundra. Reprogramming is most likely the only thing that will work.

2007 Tundra, Blk 5.7L DC TRD 4x4
post #20 of 63 Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Stupid is stupid does

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
following this thread still. My truck did this thump again today. Truck was cold. Feels like a sloppy old POS trans when this happens.

295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs:2.5" lift in the front with 1" rear Block
JBA single exhaust:HID's W/Led's inside:Nfabs
E&G grill insert:ARE Z topper:Overhead DVD for my son:Front DVD for me
post #21 of 63 Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 AM
GO PATRIOTS!

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
My 2007 5.7L does the same thing when it's cold and always has. I've just gotten used to it. Toyota did issues a TSB for the Tacoma to reflash the transmission control to allow better shifting at low speeds. Perhaps they will eventually do this for the Tundra. Reprogramming is most likely the only thing that will work.

My truck does the same when it is in "open loop" mode. Really sluggish from 2-3 upshift.

2000 Camry LE
1999 Avalon XLS
2014 Q50 Hybrid
2014 Titan
post #22 of 63 Old 12-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_15 View Post
My truck does the same when it is in "open loop" mode. Really sluggish from 2-3 upshift.
Errr... what does "open loop" mean?

2007 Tundra, Blk 5.7L DC TRD 4x4
post #23 of 63 Old 12-25-2009, 07:27 AM
GO PATRIOTS!

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Hopefully someone can explain it better that I can

When your truck is cold and way under operating temperture the truck runs in "open loop" mode where it runs really rich to protect 02 sensors, pistons, valves, etc from high exhaust temperatures.

Once a certain operating temperature has been met the truck the reverts to "closed loop" mode. which is normal operation.

2000 Camry LE
1999 Avalon XLS
2014 Q50 Hybrid
2014 Titan
post #24 of 63 Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Official TN Member

I'm just curious, have any of you guys experiencing this transmission shift issue tried writing a complaint letter directly to Toyota? I know the easiest channel is thru your dealer but I'm just wondering how much of the issue is making it's way to Toyota.

I have been spending a little more time searching around other forums and there are more and more people I have found experiencing the same issue as me. This is also not strictly to the 4.6L either, lots of 5.7 owners going back as far as 2007 are saying the same thing.

It might very well help to send a message thru Toyota.ca or .com (depending where you live) detailing this problem. If they get enough complaints they will have to investigate it. If this issue goes back 2 years already and its still not resolved its something Toyota needs to hear about directly because obviously the dealers are not getting the information back to them.

I wrote up an email and submitted it last night. I hope to have a conversation with a factory person over this. My local service manager has been great to deal with and he has tried on two occasiond to fix it but he's now at a loss and I'm inclinded to take my beef directly to the factory.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Last edited by SHO_Maniac; 01-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.
post #25 of 63 Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
New TN User

I'm really interested in what you find out. Thank you for you efforts in witting Toyota. I'm having the same EXACT problems as you are. I have a 2008 5.7 Sequoia 25, 000. Servicing has been check and problem not able to be duplicated by dealer. My father has the 4.7L 07 Tundra. He had the same problem. He took it upon himself to drain all the transmission fluid, remove and reinstall the transmission pan after cleaning it free of all grime. He then re-serviced his transmission with the same amount of fluid that was removed and then added a little more. It has been 5,000 miles since he has done this and he as not had the problem since. I guess maybe the answer is Over-servicing and clean the pan.
****He did this without the proper test gear and measuring methods and is ultimately gambling his warranty by having done this himself, but he has a been a mechanic for over 40 years and is comfortable with his abilities. I do not recommend nor am I endorsing his methods- just sharing his resolution to his problem.****
post #26 of 63 Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Official TN Member

I should see if my dealer is willing to try a transmission flush as an experiment. I mean he likely could claim it as a warranty procedure. My truck really should not have any grime, it has less than 1800miles on it. My dealer did top up my fluid level once already too. That was why I took it back the second time. They said sometimes the fluid levels tend to be a little low but in my case it never helped.

In order to get my truck to do it fairly repeatibly I slow to about 20kph (12mph) like you would rounding a corner and then get back on the gas. Try this on your own and see if you can get it to do it repeatedly and if you can take your service manager for a drive. My first time in the service manager couldn't experience it but then I had him do as I explained and he got it. I talked to him last week and he said he has since driven a few more new Tundras and they behave the same way. Still no fix from Toyota.

I did get a response back from Toyota Canada. Basically it was a blow job letter. They said they don't know anything about the problem and to confer with my local service manager over any warranty issues. I replied telling them to confer with the service manager since he has experienced this issues multiple times on multiple trucks now.

Thanks for your post.....keep pushing forward until they fix this properly.

Last edited by SHO_Maniac; 01-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.
post #27 of 63 Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Stupid is stupid does

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO_Maniac View Post
I should see if my dealer is willing to try a transmission flush as an experiment. I mean he likely could claim it as a warranty procedure. My truck really should not have any grime, it has less than 1800miles on it. My dealer did top up my fluid level once already too. That was why I took it back the second time. They said sometimes the fluid levels tend to be a little low but in my case it never helped.

In order to get my truck to do it fairly repeatibly I slow to about 20kph (12mph) like you would rounding a corner and then get back on the gas. Try this on your own and see if you can get it to do it repeatedly and if you can take your service manager for a drive. My first time in the service manager couldn't experience it but then I had him do as I explained and he got it. I talked to him last week and he said he has since driven a few more new Tundras and they behave the same way. Still no fix from Toyota.

I did get a response back from Toyota Canada. Basically it was a blow job letter. They said they don't know anything about the problem and to confer with my local service manager over any warranty issues. I replied telling them to confer with the service manager since he has experienced this issues multiple times on multiple trucks now.

Thanks for your post.....keep pushing forward until they fix this properly.
Im taking my truck for an oil change this week. Im going to see what my dealer has to say about it. If you can PM me a copy of the letter I will be happy to send it in.

thanks

post #28 of 63 Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Official TN Member

There is only a form that you fill out online at the Toyota website so it was not an offical letter I sent. I just wrote up the details of the problem in their submittal form. It likely wouldn't hurt for everyone having this issue to do that and compare notes on their reply. You will likely get the same handjob I did but perhaps if they get enough it might give them some pause to actually acknowledge there is an issue many of us are having.

My truck is going in again next week for some diagnosis. I've been fairly persistant with my dealer and I will admit my service manager is working for me and he is honest about his findings. He said he was in touch with an engineer and they wanted to collect some diagnostic information. Still pisses me off I have to be doing all of this in the first place.

Last edited by SHO_Maniac; 01-20-2010 at 02:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHO_Maniac For This Useful Post:
lotust (01-20-2010)
post #29 of 63 Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Stupid is stupid does

I doubt they will fix this. Though I will have them check it out. I plan on getting the extended waranty before my 3/36 is up. It will be worth the 800-900$

post #30 of 63 Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotust View Post
I doubt they will fix this. Though I will have them check it out. I plan on getting the extended waranty before my 3/36 is up. It will be worth the 800-900$
Funny you should say that. I was thinking about the extended warranty tonight as well. I planned on keeping the truck for a long time it might be in my best interests to buy it as well. I have 3 years before I need to decide but things haven't gotten off to a great start.

The more I dig around various Tundra forums the more I am finding about similar shifting issues. Lots of people call it shift lag or something similar but I'm sure it's the same issue they are trying to explain. Some of the dealer feedback those guys have received was that this is "normal". I can't see how when the transmission dis-connects intermittently that this is normal. As soon as you are on the gas the torque convertor should be locked up and engaged in a gear.

I did get another email reply from Toyota today and they have assigned an offical ticket # to my complaint and are engaged with my dealership now. They mentioned that someone would be contacting me by phone as well. In my last correspondence I told them I didn't care if they acknowledged the issue or not I just wanted logged correspondence with them in case this issue causes me to be involved in a traffic accident.

I drove to work on icey streets about a month ago and when I rounded a corner the transmission did this hiccup shift and when it kicked in it caused the ass end of the truck to step out on me. Had someone been meeting me from the other direction it's possible they could have been struck. It might not be the easiest thing to prove legally if it ever came to it but I think they finally heard my message.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > Tundra 2nd Generation (2007-2013)