Toyota extended warranty a joke! - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Feedback: Buyers, Sellers, Vendors, etc. Want to bitch about Toyota. Transaction gone bad? Want to vouch for someone? Post your feedback towards Toyota corporate, shops, or individual buyers and sellers.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 16 Old 07-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarnold12 View Post
The worst thing about extended warranties is that everyone and their brother are selling them, some good companies and a butch of fly by night companies. Unfortunately they all get grouped together as extended warranty companies. Ive had a person tell me that they bought an extended warranty thru their toyota dealership, which they had bought several new toyota vehicle from, when it came time for a claim against the extended warranty for a water pump it was denied because the warranty company said by toyota records he had missed an oil change. He showed the dealer the receipt and explained that he had taken it to get new tires and said well since I'm here just go ahead and change the oil, will save me a trip to the dealer. The service advissor told him we know you take care of youre vehicles, youve been a long time customer, and quite frankly missing 1 oil change has absolutely nothing to do with the water pump. Don't worry about it, we got this. Sometimes relationships are better than any paper.
This.

When I bought my Tundra, I bought what I was told was a Toyota contract.
I got home and read the fine print... it was not a Toyota contract, and it required *ALL* work, including oil changes, to be performed at some little hole in the wall shop in a city about 40 miles away.
I was back at the dealership the next morning getting that POS refunded. A year later, when I upgraded my wife's '00 Echo to an '04 Rav4, I made sure that I was buying an actual Toyota warranty. 11 years and 145,000 miles, we never used it. We had two issues that were covered under the Emissions warranty, both before 36k.

Magnusson-Moss protects us from dealer/manufacturer abuse of the factory warranty, so regardless of where service is done, the original 3/36 and powertrain warranties are valid... Extended "warranties" are in fact not warranties. They are Service Contracts, and they are not covered by Magnusson-Moss. They can and do specify conditions that would be illegal if applied to factory warranties.
The actual Toyota extended warranty is good, and does not throw in any of the BS.
But in general, it is still not worth the cost.
Every new Toyota has a bumper to bumper 3/36
Emissions equipment is, by Federal Law, covered to, IIRC, 72,000 miles.
Toyota has, again IIRC, a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Most things that would fall under the 3/36 rather than emissions or powertrain and also be covered by the extended warranty are going to be infantile failures and are likely going to fail before the 3/36 or powertrain is over. Factory emissions and powertrain generally exceed the term of most extended warranties.
Window/lock actuators would be one of the few exceptions.
Seems like most powertrain issues that Toyota has had over the last 20 years have been related to design and ultimately a recall or Special Service Campaign is released extended normal warranty coverage or flat out covering preventative repair, such as the Corolla CVT J0D and JSD recalls, and the Camry Torque Convertor stutter.
Vangm25 likes this.

-- Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Commerce > Feedback: Buyers, Sellers, Vendors, etc.