Bull bar - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
I did some Googling and most every article states that it's the rigid bull bars found on police cars and similar vehicles that are the problem. I'm also linking an article that was linked from the page you posted. It says that pickups and suvs are dangerous to pedestrians and should not be purchased. I guess no one is gonna be safe til we are all walking.

http://www.advanceddrivers.com/2019/...l-pedestrians/
Walking is unsafe too.
sweeneyp likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 04-17-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
Walking is unsafe too.
We're doomed...I'm gonna have a beer and watch The Walking Dead.
sweeneyp likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I did some Googling and most every article states that it's the rigid bull bars found on police cars and similar vehicles that are the problem. I'm also linking an article that was linked from the page you posted. It says that pickups and suvs are dangerous to pedestrians and should not be purchased. I guess no one is gonna be safe til we are all walking.
Yes, there are vehicles on the road, including pickup trucks and suv's, that are particularly dangerous to pedestrians. And, yes, police cars are increasingly under scrutiny for the "push bars" on many that are used to push vehicles and which have caused injuries and deaths to pedestrians.

Does that mean that it is necessary to make a Highlander more potentially dangerous to pedestrians? After all, the Highlander's vehicle category is "MPV". The popular term for MPV in the U.S. is "minivan".

I suppose you will do what you want but realize that, at best, you will look silly and, at worst, you will appear uncaring to those who understand these safety issues.

Original owner of 2012 Prius v Five and 2014 Sienna Limited - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 Old 04-18-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoJim View Post
Yes, there are vehicles on the road, including pickup trucks and suv's, that are particularly dangerous to pedestrians. And, yes, police cars are increasingly under scrutiny for the "push bars" on many that are used to push vehicles and which have caused injuries and deaths to pedestrians.

Does that mean that it is necessary to make a Highlander more potentially dangerous to pedestrians? After all, the Highlander's vehicle category is "MPV". The popular term for MPV in the U.S. is "minivan".

I suppose you will do what you want but realize that, at best, you will look silly and, at worst, you will appear uncaring to those who understand these safety issues.

Well I'll start with the easy one LOL. Looking silly is an opinion and I'm sure you know what they say about opinions. My wife for example has a saying for people who own white cars. I won't repeat it because people generally can't handle it. The fact that I see these things on many vehicles tells me that not everyone shares your opinion. Nothing wrong with that...it's the way of the world. As far as classification goes I'd be interested to know your info source. IIHS and the NHTSA both classify the Highlander as an SUV. Also I am guessing that you own a Highlander so I guess you look as uncaring as all the other folks on this board who drive a large vehicle over a smaller one. Lastly I don't think these bars are as dangerous to people as you claim. The bars that I'm looking at look to be about kneecap level. Now a hit to the kneecap would suck for, but not life threatening. I guess if an artery were severed things get dicey, but if a car is going fast enough to sever an artery with a round bar then I'm pretty sure that's the least of their problems. Anywho I gotta boogie, but if you can dig up a link to Highlanders being classified as an MPV I'd appreciate it. Your last link was an enjoyable read.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Well I'll start with the easy one LOL. Looking silly is an opinion and I'm sure you know what they say about opinions. My wife for example has a saying for people who own white cars. I won't repeat it because people generally can't handle it. The fact that I see these things on many vehicles tells me that not everyone shares your opinion. Nothing wrong with that...it's the way of the world. As far as classification goes I'd be interested to know your info source. IIHS and the NHTSA both classify the Highlander as an SUV. Also I am guessing that you own a Highlander so I guess you look as uncaring as all the other folks on this board who drive a large vehicle over a smaller one. Lastly I don't think these bars are as dangerous to people as you claim. The bars that I'm looking at look to be about kneecap level. Now a hit to the kneecap would suck for, but not life threatening. I guess if an artery were severed things get dicey, but if a car is going fast enough to sever an artery with a round bar then I'm pretty sure that's the least of their problems. Anywho I gotta boogie, but if you can dig up a link to Highlanders being classified as an MPV I'd appreciate it. Your last link was an enjoyable read.
First time I have heard of the Highlander called a MPV. I am more used to SUV and Crossovers. Or just a lifted Camry . Otherwise everyone has their own opinion on cars, even if they are wrong . For me, I want to get neon yellow 16" rims for my silver Camry because:
  1. It would look stupid
  2. It would only be used in winter
  3. I think seeing a silver/white car in a blizzard can be dangerous so at least the neon wheels can give it some visibility

post #21 of 25 Old 04-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
If you want one, buy it.
You asked for comments based on experience and you got them.
Weigh the information and make up your own mind... you don't need to respond to the comments you asked for and justify why you feel they don't apply to your situation.
Ultimately, it's your car and your money.

-- Rich

post #22 of 25 Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
If you want one, buy it.
You asked for comments based on experience and you got them.
Weigh the information and make up your own mind... you don't need to respond to the comments you asked for and justify why you feel they don't apply to your situation.
Ultimately, it's your car and your money.
I got tons of information...unfortunately not really the info I was asking for LOL. It does keep the forum going tho so that's a plus. Perhaps I will post the question of a truck forum since they seem to use them a lot more. I do feel somewhat bad that they make the car more dangerous to people, but so do hammers LOL.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
I got tons of information...unfortunately not really the info I was asking for LOL. It does keep the forum going tho so that's a plus. Perhaps I will post the question of a truck forum since they seem to use them a lot more. I do feel somewhat bad that they make the car more dangerous to people, but so do hammers LOL.
It's just that they really were designed to be cosmetic, not true protective devices.
Like tube side steps, they work as steps, and they might protect the doors on a taller vehicle when someone parked next to them in a Civic bashes their door into them, but as "nerf bars" they are no protection (and could bend up and prevent the door from opening).

Same with the bull bar. It really offers no protection. Brush-guards at least will protect the front end from... well... brush... but they are also worse at causing damage when they are hit by something heavier.
A secondary issue is I'm not sure the Highlander even has a solid enough mounting point for one to provide protection from someone backing into it... and a trailer hitch ball is going through the bumper anyways.
TrailDust likes this.

-- Rich

post #24 of 25 Old 04-19-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
It's just that they really were designed to be cosmetic, not true protective devices.
Like tube side steps, they work as steps, and they might protect the doors on a taller vehicle when someone parked next to them in a Civic bashes their door into them, but as "nerf bars" they are no protection (and could bend up and prevent the door from opening).

Same with the bull bar. It really offers no protection. Brush-guards at least will protect the front end from... well... brush... but they are also worse at causing damage when they are hit by something heavier.
A secondary issue is I'm not sure the Highlander even has a solid enough mounting point for one to provide protection from someone backing into it... and a trailer hitch ball is going through the bumper anyways.
I had a neighbor once that back into a Rav4 I had. He was creeping back and just got my plate with his receiver. He stop once he saw my Rav move. Now if I had a bull bar his bumper would have hit the bar first and may have saved my plate. While I know these things are not meant to protect I think one would help in parking lot situations. There are just so many people out there who don't care about who they bump into. I figure for less than 2 Benjamins it would be worth a shot. My main concern was how long they would hold up to the weather. I see those running boards all the time rusting out. Perhaps I will or won't...that jury is still out LOL.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
My main concern was how long they would hold up to the weather. I see those running boards all the time rusting out. Perhaps I will or won't...that jury is still out LOL.
I had them on two pickups and never had a problem with them, but I kept them clean and waxed, and they don't salt the roads here.

Dust is chrome's enemy... the silver color you see is the nickel plating under the chromium. The chrome itself is only a couple of microns thick and it is a bluish-transparent material. It is extremely prone to damage from dust, and once the chromium is damaged, it's all over... deterioration of the substrate is just a matter of time. Steel wool hastens the deterioration, so attempts to remove rust spots will worsen the situation.

-- Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013)